15% gratuity on all drinks !

Ewoodspark

It appears that as well as the high cost of beer and wine on board ship, NCL charge a recommended 15% gratuity on all drinks. Is this 15% gratuity enforceable or is it like in a restaurant, when if you do not consider you have good service, you refuse to paying any service charge. When I go to a bar in England, I do not give the barman a tip for him/her to pour me a pint or give me a bottle. If I guess that you sign for all drinks with no actual cash taking place, can you delete the gratuity and sign for the actual drink. I am not too sure whether this may rather annoy or upset the bar staff, but what is the gratuity actually for? I know that all Americans seem to live on tips, but I am not American, and the cruise is in Europe. Just curious therefore as to how common it is to refuse to pay any gratuity on a beer or bottle of wine. It is of course only a recommended amount, so on that basis a zero gratuity should cause no problem.

It appears that as well as the high cost of beer and wine on board ship, NCL charge a recommended 15% gratuity on all drinks. Is this 15% gratuity enforceable or is it like in a restaurant, when if you do not consider you have good service, you refuse to paying any service charge. When I go to a bar in England, I do not give the barman a tip for him/her to pour me a pint or give me a bottle. If I guess that you sign for all drinks with no actual cash taking place, can you delete the gratuity and sign for the actual drink. I am not too sure whether this may rather annoy or upset the bar staff, but what is the gratuity actually for? I know that all Americans seem to live on tips, but I am not American, and the cruise is in Europe. Just curious therefore as to how common it is to refuse to pay any gratuity on a beer or bottle of wine. It is of course only a recommended amount, so on that basis a zero gratuity should cause no problem.

I have never heard of anyone removing the gratutity on a bar bill, but since it's a European cruise, maybe it's different. I didn't think that gratuity was optional though.

It's smart. Not only will it force folks like yourself not to cheap out and not tip, but it creates a bigger revenue from folks like me, who are so used to tipping for bar service, that I still tip $1 per drink anyway. Regardless where it's sailing, it's an American ship.

The drinks on the ship are cheaper than any local bar in my town, and MUCH cheaper than drinks in major US cities.

I believe the 15% is mandatory. It's also added to the UBP.

Your not serious are you? No you cannot remove the 15% gratuity. In addition to that a lot of people including myself give an extra dollar. I don't get the no tipping thinking.

I think the tipping thing to us Brits is as alien as the idea of not tipping or removing the gratuity is to Americans (and Canadians?). If we go for a meal and it costs £18 we will tell them to keep the change, but if it's £20 we would probably just give then £1 or £2. To be honest even when we go for a real posh meal and have a bill of £100 for the two of us we would still only tip a few pounds. Having been a waitress for a few years In my student days (at a golf/country club) that's the norm here, but then we have the minimum wage, and more often than not the Living Wage. We would certainly never tip in a bar or pub, unless it was a special occasion, we knew the staff, and had won some money in the horses! :D

As for the drink being "cheap" - compared to our drinks prices they are nearly twice what we would pay in our local where a spirit and a mixer is about £3, £4.50 at a more swanky venue. :eek:

That being said, "when in Rome..." we paid the 15% and didn't consider removing it as I know it is part of the staffs wages and they generally work hard for it. However, we didn't tip anything on top.

Edited by Cloudyrain

When I go to a bar in England, I do not give the barman a tip for him/her to pour me a pint or give me a bottle.

On board a cruise ship one very, very rarely is served by the barman who pulls or mixes your drink. You sit at a table and are served by a cocktail waiter/ess. On holiday you should expect better service and atmosphere than at your local, and for that a 15% tip is highly appropriate.

It appears that as well as the high cost of beer and wine on board ship, NCL charge a recommended 15% gratuity on all drinks.

A simple exercise: take the price of your drink in $US, add the 15% in, then convert to GBP. I can all but guarantee you that you are paying less for both your preferred draught and especially wine by the glass than what is charged at a London restaurant or hotel. Maybe your local would be less, but again, you are on holiday...which brings me to my final point: you, presumably in collaboration with a travel agent, chose a ship with the American customs of service and tipping. There are plenty of ships that offer the British version, for better or for worse.

Edited by fishywood

:rolleyes: A sure way to save and not tip for service, which is considered good will and custom to do so, is - my apology in advance & being BLUNT about it - don't drink. It will save you money, tap water is free and you can go get it yourself.

How about tipping for your stateroom steward or cabin attendant? :mad: Learn the "culture" and differences, respect and follow it - and, enjoy your cruise.

Maybe, cruiselines should have a DIY no-frills option, clean your own bathroom, change towels and makeup the beds, go to the kitchen & get your own meals (oh, wait - that's called the cafeteria a/k/a buffet line) and empty the garbage ... :eek:

What is important for Euros to realize is that in the United States when you go to the bar or restaurant, the tip is how the employee gets paid. Current federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.10 per hour. So without a tip, they really don't get paid or could never make a living.

The cruise industry has sort of adopted this policy and ads the auto gratuity (standard in some USA restaurants too). It would really be crazy to remove an auto gratuity. You could do it but very rare. Why take the drink prices out on the people serving you?

But the drink prices are not high on NCL ships. I live in Miami and the drink prices are cheaper on board than anywhere in Miami. So if you took a vacation to Miami Beach, you would pay much more for your martini! Consider NCL and their 15% gratuity a bargain!

What is important for Euros to realize is that in the United States when you go to the bar or restaurant, the tip is how the employee gets paid. Current federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.10 per hour. So without a tip, they really don't get paid or could never make a living.

The cruise industry has sort of adopted this policy and ads the auto gratuity (standard in some USA restaurants too). It would really be crazy to remove an auto gratuity. You could do it but very rare. Why take the drink prices out on the people serving you?

But the drink prices are not high on NCL ships. I live in Miami and the drink prices are cheaper on board than anywhere in Miami. So if you took a vacation to Miami Beach, you would pay much more for your martini! Consider NCL and their 15% gratuity a bargain!

And that's where the issue is as in Europe we pay a proper minimum wage that people can live on without having to be subsidised in tips by customers.

But,like we would when going on holiday in the states, you just factor it into the cost of your holiday - but don't get me started with this extra tax when you travel out of a mainland Europe port - now that is shocking!

Its my understanding that even in England its usual to buy a round now and then and include the bar staff. The Bar staff can if they wish tell you that you will pay for it and they will drink it later(or pocket the money)...this is in fact a tip and cost more than the 15% that they add which is how they bar keep gets paid as others have said. They receive a small salary of maybe a $100 per MONTH plus room and board. while they do take home more this is an advance against the expected tips service charge etc.

This is the custom on cruise ships-which even though the sail from England follow this custom(which by the way goes back to some guy name Cunard).

And that's where the issue is as in Europe we pay a proper minimum wage that people can live on without having to be subsidised in tips by customers.

whether its in the price or as a mandatory service charge its you who are paying it anyway. The customer always subsidies the wage or the tip- whether its included or added.

So far as I know, ALL cruise lines charge a gratuity on alcoholic drinks and sodas. I would think you would run into major problems if you tried to remove it.

Why ask here? Just ask the bartender to his face to remove it next time you're there.

I'm sure you'll enjoy impeccable service commensurate with your jolly attitude!

Yeah.. I hate tipping on drinks when all the guy does it pop the cap on the beer and pour. But hey, when in Rome .... The professional begging etiquette is so American and we have to live with it. An irritating thought that one discards when one is on board and enjoying oneself ;)

Yeah.. I hate tipping on drinks when all the guy does it pop the cap on the beer and pour. But hey, when in Rome .... The professional begging etiquette is so American and we have to live with it. An irritating thought that one discards when one is on board and enjoying oneself ;)

Couple of facts for you.

Please do not refer to American workers as professional beggars, and I won't refer to Brits as all having terrible teeth. Deal?

Couple of facts for you.

Please do not refer to American workers as professional beggars, and I won't refer to Brits as all having terrible teeth. Deal?

Sure, the bartender may do more depending on the drink - but that is it! He does his job. The drink may end up being more expensive. Therefore your point is mute.

Yipping is optional (I repeat, Optional and used sparingly for exemplary service mostly overseas - not a coercive 'mandatory' suggestion here - hence the 'professional and accepted begging culture' that is now mainstream.

I dont care a rodent's rear end what you require I think of Americans or teeth of Brits for I am neither...

Regardless, lets agree to cease this line of posts as the last thing one needs is another tipping thread. Its tiresome and never resolved amicably.

Edited by Submariner

Regardless, lets agree to cease this line of posts as the last thing one needs is another tipping thread.

Wiser words have never been spoken.

Yipping is optional

I agree with this as well.

Edited by triptolemus

Couple of facts for you.

Lmao!!!!! I love this post

Yup, tipping is an American cultural thing just like everyone accepts all of the cultural things in the UK; we all know it is quite expensive.

It appears to me that most of the tipping/service charge issues come from the UK. (My apologies if that is not your complaint).

IMHO when you travel internationally/globally all of the cultural things need to be accepted. It seems a bit unrealistic to think that all cultures are the same.

I am not sure why someone would not want to pay someone for the work that they do regardless of what the pay structure is. It seems disrespectful not to.

I believe people all work really hard to make a living everywhere; to not pay them for what they deserve seems sad and unfair.

Isn't there always a Service Charge added to all restaurant/bar bills in Europe? When I traveled abroad, I found out the SC wasn't optional, whereas in the US, tips or gratuity are.

I find it incredible that some people don't understand that the ultimate consumer pays the tab regardless of whether the employees are paid totally by salary, or if some or all of the pay comes via a tip. It doesn't take a doctorate in economics or mathematics to realize that if employee pay is totally salary, the price the consumer is paying for the goods (in this case beverages) will have to be higher in order to cover the additional payroll costs.

Frankly, I believe that most of the posters who start these threads are just being disingenuous.

I find it incredible that some people don't understand that the ultimate consumer pays the tab regardless of whether the employees are paid totally by salary, or if some or all of the pay comes via a tip. It doesn't take a doctorate in economics or mathematics to realize that if employee pay is totally salary, the price the consumer is paying for the goods (in this case beverages) will have to be higher in order to cover the additional payroll costs.

Frankly, I believe that most of the posters who start these threads are just being disingenuous.

This is absolutely correct. The price of a meal in London is approximately 9% higher than the cost of a meal in NYC, therefore, while you may tip less, you pay more. At the end of the day, what's the difference? Also take into account that by adding the gratuity automatically, the cruise lines can seem less expensive because the average consumer doesn't take that into account. It's really all sort of a game. I think it's best to realize that being on a vacation is a luxury, and luxuries cost money. You really don't have much choice but to pay the bill, unless you'd rather stay home. :eek: