FRECCIABIANCA, High Speed Train, Rome - Civitavecchia?

jarand

I see it is possible to prebook tickets on the FRECCIABIANCA high speed train coming back from Rome-Civitavecchia. Can anyone tell me if this goes into the same train station as the regional train? Is it reliable (well--as any Italian train can be)? Thanks.

I took this train from Trimini and didn't buy my ticket till 1/2 an hour before it departed. It wasn't crowded at all. Bonus was the Italian ticket machines took my American credit card (unlike the French train ticket machines which need the cards with the chip in them). Also, I took a few Italian trains and they were always on time.

On euro cruiser's good advice I didn't get my ticket ahead of time so I wasn't locked into which train I took, it gave me the opportunity to go to the Vatican for the Pope's public audience.

Yes, you can book in advance at www.trenitalia.com.

It's reliable - Italian trains generally are.

And yes, it uses the same station as the regional train. In Rome it doesn't stop at all the stations as the regional does.

We dock in Civitavecchia at 7:00am. Is it reasonable to think we can catch the 8:44am Regionale train to Termini Station? (we are all brisk walkers).

Thanks for any advice, Liz

The Frecciabianca only saves you about 10 minutes; and it's 2x the price of the regionales that leave all day long.

If you're going into Rome for the day you can buy a BIRG ticket which includes the train to Civitavecchia, plus all buses and metro in Rome for something like €10. The newsstand at the train station sells them

The BIRG is 12 euro now, IIRC.

The only issue now is the port shuttle that drops you over a mile away from the train station. There is a bus which leaves every 20 minutes but if you're fast walkers that won't save you any time unless it's leaving immediately. Also, because you dock at 7 does not necessarily mean you'll be able to disembark straightaway--sometimes have to wait for ship to be cleared.

Really no need to take the 'fast', more costly train. I'd wait until you get there and just get a ticket for whatever's leaving next.

We dock in Civitavecchia at 7:00am. Is it reasonable to think we can catch the 8:44am Regionale train to Termini Station? (we are all brisk walkers).

Thanks for any advice, Liz

We docked in Civitavecchia at 7 am a couple of weeks ago and caught the 7.44 train. We were on the first port bus and walked very quickly from the bus stop to the station, bought the ticket at the ticket office which is just on the left before you enter the station, and managed to get the train which was running a couple of minutes late ;)

Does anyone know if the frecciabianca makes stops between Rome and civtavecchia?

There are no stops.

If you go to the Trenitalia website and do a search for a given route (e.g., Roma Termini to Civitavecchia) you can see the scheduled stops/itinerary for a specific train in the results list by clicking on the little i in a circle next to the train number.

We docked in Civitavecchia at 7 am a couple of weeks ago and caught the 7.44 train. We were on the first port bus and walked very quickly from the bus stop to the station, bought the ticket at the ticket office which is just on the left before you enter the station, and managed to get the train which was running a couple of minutes late ;)

Thanks for the info - much appreciated. Liz

Thanks Eurocruiser and cruisemom42. Guess we'll have to watch our time, then, as we want to be sure to get off the train quickly. We have heard of folks where half the party and half the luggage didn't make it off on time and they had to go all the way to Pisa and back!

We have heard of folks where half the party and half the luggage didn't make it off on time and they had to go all the way to Pisa and back!

Well that's just silly, they must have still been in their seats because if you are actively in the process of getting yourself and your luggage off the train it won't be going anywhere until you're done.

• 2 weeks later...

On this day there was a regional train leaving Termini at 16:42 (4:42pm) it was beyond packed and several people could not even get on the train it was soo packed. That was before a lot of the other stops for the Regional. We pre-booked the 16:57 (4:57pm) fast train online early for 8E pp for 1st class, it was cheaper than the 2nd class tickets on the day I booked. This train arrived back at the port at 15:39 (5:39pm) It is about a 1 mile walk from the train station to the shuttle buses, on our day the last shuttle bus back to the ship was suppose to be at 6:00pm for an all board call for 6:30pm. On our day in port they were not allowing any walking in the port area due to construction activities.

Turns out there was a terrible multi-car accident on the roadway and several of the ship's tour buses had to use alternative routes to make it back to the port, so the ship was over an hour late leaving the port waiting for those to get back, it was a couple of hundred people.

Just want to make you aware of the times of the shuttle and distance from the train back to the shuttle buses to allow for proper timing.

The Frecciabianca only saves you about 10 minutes; and it's 2x the price of the regionales that leave all day long.

If you're going into Rome for the day you can buy a BIRG ticket which includes the train to Civitavecchia, plus all buses and metro in Rome for something like €10. The newsstand at the train station sells them

You took most of the words out of my mouth. The last time we took the train from Civ into Rome we got to the station and grabbed an early train about 8. The regional trains do not use any reservations so you just use your BIRG or regular ticket and hop on the next train. While waiting a few minutes for our train we met a group of 4 Americans who had pre-purchased tickets (from Rail Europe) for the Frecciabianca. They paid many times our cost and as will often happen with the train traveling in the direction of Rome, it was running about 30 min late. Since those higher speed trains travel a pretty long distance before getting to Civitavecchia, there is a higher probability that it will be late as opposed to the short haul regional trains. So you pay more money, you have a fair chance of being delayed, and there are far fewer high speed trains then the regional.

In the end, just taking the first available regional train will probably have you in Rome a lot faster :). And if you hop off the regional train at the S. Pietro Station you will be in Rome even faster.

Let me spell it out. We normally catch the 7:58 regional which has us at Termini by 9:18 or at S. Pietro at 9. I believe the only Frecciabianca in the morning is at 11:18 and will not get you to Termini until 12:03. Not sure it makes sense to stand around for over 3 hours waiting for that "faster" train :).

Hank

Hank

So, after reading this let me make sure I have this right.

I must first take a bus from the port. How much is it and how do you pay for it? Where do you buy the ticket?

Then you must walk one mile to the train station.

I then buy a train ticket at the station and simply take the next train.

My ship leaves at 7 p.m. which means all aboard at 6:30. What is the latest train you recommend?

Is it really worth doing all this? Our ship arrives in Civ at 8 a.m.

thanks.

Let me spell it out. We normally catch the 7:58 regional which has us at Termini by 9:18 or at S. Pietro at 9. I believe the only Frecciabianca in the morning is at 11:18 and will not get you to Termini until 12:03. Not sure it makes sense to stand around for over 3 hours waiting for that "faster" train :).
The Frecce trains don't make sense going into Rome in the morning because of the timing, as Hank points out.

It might be a fall back option on the way back, however. There is a Frecciabianca from Termini at 16:57 (4:57 PM) that gets to Civitavecchia at 5:39 PM. If you miss the regional train, or if it's horribly crowded, the 15 Euro last minute fare for the Frecce train may not seem too bad given the alternatives (or lack of them).

I'm sure it will make sense and seem easy once I do it.

Thanks.

Let me see if I can make it a little clearer. You get off the ship and on to a free shuttle that will take you to the front of the port. Assuming it's still being diverted because of construction, you can then either a) walk to the station, about a mile, or b) pay 1 euro for a bus that will take you to the station which leaves every 20 minutes.

Then at the station you buy a BIRG ticket that costs 12E and gives you all day use of the metro and buses. So if you get of the ship just after 8, worst case is you're at the train station by 9, in Rome by 10. I would plan to leave Rome no later than 4:30, which gives you 6.5 hours in a glorious city filled with more history than you can imagine. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

:confused:I have a question, we are taking the train from Rome to Naples for 4 days so we really don't have a big rush to get to our hotel in Naples would you just take the intercity train instead of taking the Frecciabianca. Is there a difference in seating when buying the super economy from the other types of tickets. I have a fussy traveler going with us so I just want to know what I buying and sitting in. Thanks for any help Linda

Thanks. That helps a lot.

FYI: This is not my first time to Rome. I was there for 11 days three years ago and in 1982. This is a whatever-I-see trip into Rome. Not the reason I took this itinerary.

How do I pay for the bus ticket from the port's bus to the train?

Also, is that 12 euros a round trip?

Thanks again. Very helpful.

You pay for the bus in a little kiosk right where the shuttle drops you off. And yes, the BIRG is round trip. Don't forget to validate (first ride only) in the little box on the platform. It's essentially a date stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app