FRECCIABIANCA, High Speed Train, Rome - Civitavecchia?

jarand

Thanks. Then I assume I can jump on any train returning to the port since I have that ticket?

Sorry for all these questions. I hate ambiguity, especially when navigating in a foreign country.

You can jump on any train that is "regionale" or "regionale veloce", designated with an "R" on the trenitalia website and I think on the display in the station as well.)

That means most trains are included; a few -- such as the IC or inter-city trains -- are not.

Thanks everyone for your (quick) responses. I feel like I finally have a good handle on the logistics now and we will definitely go on our own.

My wife and I have traveled a fair amount and go on our own when we can. It can be a little daunting the first time you go someplace where you need mass transportation to another city.

My comments in Red

So, after reading this let me make sure I have this right.

I must first take a bus from the port. How much is it and how do you pay for it? Where do you buy the ticket?

Free, run by the port and takes you from the ship to the entrance of the port (the port itself is miles in size)

Then you must walk one mile to the train station.

Well under ½ mile. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.0904746,11.7921445/Civitavecchia/@42.0893702,11.7929988,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x1328a4a7e9f83faf:0x5a3befebac8200a6!2m2!1d11.798136!2d42.088308!3e2

I then buy a train ticket at the station and simply take the next train.

Buy a BIRG ticket, available at the train ticket station, but also available from the newsstand (and most of the time less lineup). Once you have your ticket, you punch it with the little yellow box on the train platform like this: http://www.italyfromtheinside.com/uploaded_images/640/IMG_2433.jpg

My ship leaves at 7 p.m. which means all aboard at 6:30. What is the latest train you recommend?

Is it really worth doing all this? Our ship arrives in Civ at 8 a.m.

Very much so,

Free, run by the port and takes you from the ship to the entrance of the port (the port itself is miles in size)

Well under ½ mile. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.0904746,11.7921445/Civitavecchia/@42.0893702,11.7929988,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x1328a4a7e9f83faf:0x5a3befebac8200a6!2m2!1d11.798136!2d42.088308!3e2

Scott, your map isn't relevant at the moment due to construction at the port south entrance. The temporary exit where the bus drops off is one mile from the train station.

Scott, your map isn't relevant at the moment due to construction at the port south entrance. The temporary exit where the bus drops off is one mile from the train station.

Where is the temporary entrance?

• 4 years later...
Can a BIRG ticket be bought in advance? I plan on buying a Super Economy on a Frecciabianca train, but I don't believe that covers Metro in Rome. But perhaps I should just pay for Metro separately.

First off, please note that you have "revived" an old thread with some information that may not be completely accurate in 2018. For example, what was thought to be a temporary entrance move has become permanent and there is a local bus that transports cruise passengers between the train station and the new port entrance for 2 euro per person.

Regarding your specific question, the BIRG passes cannot be purchased in advance, but since you plan to buy a ticket for the Frecciabianca train (to Rome only? or R/T?), there is no big advantage to the BIRG, which includes the R/T regional train ride.

I'd just pay for bus/metro tickets as you go.

Yes, pretty bad etiquette to pull up such an old thread as info change so much.

If you are of the type that needs Frecciabianca compared to frequent, Regional, you are not going to take pickpocket infested Metro/Bus any way. May be stick to Uber (or its Italian version) or taxi? Termini is known for aggressive pickpocket rings

Yes, pretty bad etiquette to pull up such an old thread as info change so much.

If you are of the type that needs Frecciabianca compared to frequent, Regional, you are not going to take pickpocket infested Metro/Bus any way. May be stick to Uber (or its Italian version) or taxi? Termini is known for aggressive pickpocket rings

Not meaning any offense, but you seem a bit obsessed with "aggressive pickpockets" in your several posts today.

Yes, there are some pickpockets -- throughout Europe, not just in Italy, and not just in Termini.

I've spent at least a couple of weeks a year in the last ten years in Italy, at least half of that in Rome; and I am a frequent user of the trains to get from place to place. Anyone who takes the reasonable precautions quite frequently mentioned on these forums should be absolutely fine with regard to attempts to relieve them of valuables.

While it's good to remind people, I consider it very irresponsible to scare them unnecessarily.

Not meaning any offense, but you seem a bit obsessed with "aggressive pickpockets" in your several posts today.

Yes, there are some pickpockets -- throughout Europe, not just in Italy, and not just in Termini.

I've spent at least a couple of weeks a year in the last ten years in Italy, at least half of that in Rome; and I am a frequent user of the trains to get from place to place. Anyone who takes the reasonable precautions quite frequently mentioned on these forums should be absolutely fine with regard to attempts to relieve them of valuables.

While it's good to remind people, I consider it very irresponsible to scare them unnecessarily.

Cruisemom42, you always have the most relevant answers, and I appreciate it.

Might I ask what you would take it my circumstance.

We are spending two nights post cruise in Rome, and figured we would get to the train station and take a train into Rome ourselves. Our hotel is down the street from the Colosseum. Is there a specific ticket we should purchase? Where should we get off?

And is this ticket something we can purchase before our cruise for use after? So we don't need to wait on line the day we disembark?

We are spending two nights post cruise in Rome, and figured we would get to the train station and take a train into Rome ourselves. Our hotel is down the street from the Colosseum. Is there a specific ticket we should purchase? Where should we get off?

And is this ticket something we can purchase before our cruise for use after? So we don't need to wait on line the day we disembark?

You'll need to buy your ticket on the spot but it won't take long, you don't need to wait in the line, just use the machine.

It will probably make the most sense to take the regional train to Roma Ostiense and change there to the metro to Colosseo, but the specifics would depend on exactly where "down the street" is. If you look at a map about eight different streets bump up against the Colosseum, so that might impact whether to take the metro or the #3 tram, and where to get off.

You'll need to buy your ticket on the spot but it won't take long, you don't need to wait in the line, just use the machine.

It will probably make the most sense to take the regional train to Roma Ostiense and change there to the metro to Colosseo, but the specifics would depend on exactly where "down the street" is. If you look at a map about eight different streets bump up against the Colosseum, so that might impact whether to take the metro or the #3 tram, and where to get off.

Thank you, we are staying at this address (Via Cavour 325) which seems to be closest to the Colosseo Metro stop, although there is a Cavour stop as well, but further down (definitely an option too though)

What is #3 Tram?

That address is almost exactly midway between the Colosseo and Cavour stops but I would go with the Colosseo stop because you'd need to climb up a full flight of stairs from the tracks to the station at Cavour and again from the station up to the street, while the Colosseo metro station requires just the one from the tracks.

The #3 tram is actually a bus right now in this section. It travels on the road above the metro from Ostiense/Piramide to the Colosseum and then continues east toward San Giovanni Laterano.

Edited to add:

By the way, the Colosseo metro stop is correctly but not fully represented on google maps. There is an entrance/exit where google shows it but that's a secondary one, a full level above the main entrance/exit onto Via dei Fori Imperiali. You want the main exit.

Thank you, we are staying at this address (Via Cavour 325) which seems to be closest to the Colosseo Metro stop, although there is a Cavour stop as well, but further down (definitely an option too though)

Looking at Google maps, you are almost equidistant between the Colosseo and Cavour stops. Knowing the terrain, it MIGHT be easiest to get off at the Cavour metro stop, as the walk along Via Cavour is more level. If you get off at Colosseo it's going to be more of an uphill walk to your hotel.

I also can recommend a nearby place, Cavour 313, an enoteca (wine bar) with wonderful locally-sourced food.

That address is almost exactly midway between the Colosseo and Cavour stops but I would go with the Colosseo stop because you'd need to climb up a full flight of stairs from the tracks to the station at Cavour and again from the station up to the street, while the Colosseo metro station requires just the one from the tracks.

The #3 tram is actually a bus right now in this section. It travels on the road above the metro from Ostiense/Piramide to the Colosseum and then continues east toward San Giovanni Laterano.

Edited to add:

By the way, the Colosseo metro stop is correctly but not fully represented on google maps. There is an entrance/exit where google shows it but that's a secondary one, a full level above the main entrance/exit onto Via dei Fori Imperiali. You want the main exit.

Thank you so much for this valuable information. Do they not have elevators? or Escalators from the tracks? Will we need to carry baggage up a flight or two of stairs?

Thank you so much for this valuable information. Do they not have elevators? or Escalators from the tracks? Will we need to carry baggage up a flight or two of stairs?

(First let me say euro cruiser is right regarding the stations; I wasn't taking the stairs into account.... )

Both Cavour and Colosseo stations are listed as having only stairlifts, not elevators or escalators.

There are very few escalators throughout the system, where you do see them it's a combination of escalators and stairs so at some point you do have to hike.

Also, in most cases where there is an elevator it can only be operated by an ATAC employee and is limited for use by those with disabilities. Traveling with wheelchair bound family members I've learned that this is fairly common throughout Europe, in airports for example you often can't self-propel in a chair or be pushed without an airport employee with a key to let you into the elevators.

Cavour and Colosseo both fall into this category, there are lifts but only employees can access them and they are for the disabled only.

http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=5701