Question About The New Drinks Package for $49.00 Per Person

Crystal Rich

According to Princess you can have any alcoholic drink or glass of wine in this package as long as the cost is under $10.00. And if you want to order a bottle of wine in the dining room they will sell it to you at a 40% discount.

My questions are: If you want to have wine in the dining room or in Sabatini's will they pour unlimited glasses of wine as part of the Drinks Package or must you buy the wine by the bottle only?

Who pours the wine? The wine steward or your waiter once you have made your selection?

I appreciate very much a kind reply from those of you who have experienced the new wine package program. Thank you very much.

According to Princess you can have any alcoholic drink or glass of wine in this package as long as the cost is under $10.00. And if you want to order a bottle of wine in the dining room they will sell it to you at a 40% discount.

My questions are: If you want to have wine in the dining room or in Sabatini's will they pour unlimited glasses of wine as part of the Drinks Package or must you buy the wine by the bottle only?

Who pours the wine? The wine steward or your waiter once you have made your selection?

I appreciate very much a kind reply from those of you who have experienced the new wine package program. Thank you very much.

We did not purchase the drink package on our recent cruise. However that information stated that any drink under $10 was included. The wines by the glass are limited to wines that cost $34 or less per bottle. If you are happy with those selections then you should be able to drink as much as you wish. If you want more expensive wines on the list up to $100 a bottle you will need to purchase a bottle at a 40% discount. If you buy wine by the glass, the glass will be brought out by your waiter. If you buy a bottle, it will be poured by your waiter. Princess reintroduced Sommeliers a few years ago but they apparently are gone again. Even when we were on cruises with a Sommelier, they never were around to help with wine selection or pouring, although one stopped by our table to sample from the magnum of one of our favorite Zinfandel's and approved of the wine we brought on board :). I have attached the wine by the glass menu.

Wines+by+the+Glass+-+Wine+List.jpg

On Sapphire Princess in March, Sabatini's only offered a chianti (don't recall the label) and Danzanre Pinot Grigio by the glass, so we purchased a couple of bottles at the 40% discount. In the dining room, we had no problem with wines by the glass, and our waiters were very quick to offer refills, so we never went thirsty.:D

This could be an interesting package. I've been hoping for Princess to do something like this for a long time. I am going to be working out the numbers to see if it will actually be more economical for us to do this. I am leaving next week for a two week cruise and the cost would be around $1578, including gratuity, for DW and me. With doing some quick figuring, the package would be more economical for me if it was $7 to $10 cheaper. Generally for both DW and me, our alcohol, sodas, coffees, wine and gratuities, runs around $700-$900 total, per 7 days. It could possibly end up being a deal for us, because we may use the package more.

By the way, hi, Colo Cruiser. Have not seen you for a while. I hope you are well.

This could be an interesting package. I've been hoping for Princess to do something like this for a long time. I am going to be working out the numbers to see if it will actually be more economical for us to do this. I am leaving next week for a two week cruise and the cost would be around $1578, including gratuity, for DW and me. With doing some quick figuring, the package would be more economical for me if it was $7 to $10 cheaper. Generally for both DW and me, our alcohol, sodas, coffees, wine and gratuities, runs around $700-$900 total, per 7 days. It could possibly end up being a deal for us, because we may use the package more.

By the way, hi, Colo Cruiser. Have not seen you for a while. I hope you are well.

Hey Rich tried to catch you on another thread a couple of days ago!

Best regards!. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Does anyone know why this package doesn't appear to be available on the Diamond?

Hey Maurice:)

Seems they are not available on any of the ships while based in Aust (Guess they figure the Aussies drink too much)

We took the drink package on the Celebrity Solstice for a 3 day cruise from Sydney & it was nearly impossible to get drinks

We are going on the Diamond to Japan in Oct, so will be interesting to see if its available then

Cheers

Tanya

Hey Maurice:)

Seems they are not available on any of the ships while based in Aust (Guess they figure the Aussies drink too much)

We took the drink package on the Celebrity Solstice for a 3 day cruise from Sydney & it was nearly impossible to get drinks

We are going on the Diamond to Japan in Oct, so will be interesting to see if its available then

Cheers

Tanya

I've also read posts that the wine packages are not offered Downunder either. :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42692663

Kelly was kind enough to compile an excel spreadsheet that works out if it would be cheaper for passengers to purchase the drinks package

Click on the thread link above & go to post #1, there's a link to a spreadsheet that u can download for use on yr pc (nb the total costs DO NOT include 15% grats)

We purchased this package for both of us on our emerald princess 7 day trip just got back yesterday. It worked out well for us. Hubby got a couple of bottles of wine in the MDR with the 40% discount. Water, coffee, soda, juice, mock tails as well as alcohol. We did try some drinks we would not normally just because we were on the package.

With doing some quick figuring, the package would be more economical for me if it was $7 to $10 cheaper. Generally for both DW and me, our alcohol, sodas, coffees, wine and gratuities, runs around $700-$900 total, per 7 days. It could possibly end up being a deal for us, because we may use the package more

Obviously Princess priced the package to make a profit.

It's interesting -- pax calculate if I drink more than 7 drinks at $7 each,

I will come out ahead. So, maybe they drink 10.

A $7 drink doesn't cost princess any $7 to provide. So, it doesn't really

matter if people drink more, only if the profit on $49 is more than

the profit on whatever they might have previously ordered.

I understand that the package is very successful.

Does anyone know if you can get the 40% buying bottles of wine elsewhere than the MDR ie deck bars and H Court? That's what I was planning (well hoping) to do so that my wife who won't take the package whilst I will could benefit that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...I understand that the package is very successful.

Yup. It's not being offered because Princess is being nice and wants to save you money. They're doing to because for most people, it'll be a convenience and Princess will make lots of money. Edited by Pam in CA

STCKcruises: I read on one of the Princess web sites that both pax in the same stateroom must buy the package. If you buy it our wife must purchase it too. As I have no experience with the $49 Package perhaps someone can tell us if Princess actually follows this policy.

STCKcruises: I read on one of the Princess web sites that both pax in the same stateroom must buy the package. If you buy it our wife must purchase it too. As I have no experience with the $49 Package perhaps someone can tell us if Princess actually follows this policy.
There is nothing on the Princess website that says this is required. During trials on the Star and Sapphire, it was a requirement but when the package was finalized and rolled out, that was no longer true.

As one of the Officers on the Sapphire said at our Meet & Greet in March, (paraphrased): "We know our passengers are honest, responsible and won't share." That same cruise, some people were observed buying drinks for 5-6 others using their card/sticker. They went up to the bar multiple times within minutes to get drinks for their friends.

Yes as Pam says it's not required for both pax to buy anymore. My folks hAve just been on the Emerald and confirmed that - but still not sure about where and when you can get the 40% discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As one of the Officers on the Sapphire said at our Meet & Greet in March, (paraphrased): "We know our passengers are honest, responsible and won't share." That same cruise, some people were observed buying drinks for 5-6 others using their card/sticker. They went up to the bar multiple times within minutes to get drinks for their friends.

That officer was praying out loud. I had lunch with a friend from Princess last month and was told that "We know some passengers will share, but there is so much profit in the drink package that we still come out way ahead". I was, however, a bit surprised when they changed the rule about both people in the cabin getting the package (and on the Emerald Princess, any children in other cabins who were part of the same party had to get the UKP too). But a friend in the liquor industry educated me about just how inexpensively cruise lines can purchase their alcohol (in massive quantities, with no taxes) and I can see where the packages are hugely profitable for Princess, especially on itineraries with lots of sea days.

It's interesting -- pax calculate if I drink more than 7 drinks at $7 each,

I will come out ahead. So, maybe they drink 10.

A $7 drink doesn't cost princess any $7 to provide. So, it doesn't really

matter if people drink more, only if the profit on $49 is more than

the profit on whatever they might have previously ordered.

I understand that the package is very successful.

Just got off the 5 day Caribbean Princess yesterday and four of us purchased the Unlimited package. There are not many drinks that only cost $7. $6.95 will buy you just a regular drink, i.e. rum & coke, gin & tonic. Margarita's, daiquiris, and other mixed drinks cost $7.95 each and many of Princess's speciality drinks, i.e. Caribbean Cooler, Bahama Bay Breeze, cost $8.95 each. A glass of wine costs $7.25 and up. Almost all the martini-type drinks in Crooners are $8.95 each. It really isn't hard to drink enough to reach the $49 mark. Plus we got speciality coffees each day and it even included the large bottles of water they sell. The only day two of didn't reach the $49 mark was on the day we were in Cozumel, probably because we did the Cozomel Bar Hop!

Our only complaint is that so many people are getting the package that the bartenders at the pools are overwhelmed and service there was very lacking.

Just got off the 5 day Caribbean Princess yesterday and four of us purchased the Unlimited package. There are not many drinks that only cost $7. $6.95 will buy you just a regular drink, i.e. rum & coke, gin & tonic. Margarita's, daiquiris, and other mixed drinks cost $7.95 each and many of Princess's speciality drinks, i.e. Caribbean Cooler, Bahama Bay Breeze, cost $8.95 each. A glass of wine costs $7.25 and up. Almost all the martini-type drinks in Crooners are $8.95 each. It really isn't hard to drink enough to reach the $49 mark. Plus we got speciality coffees each day and it even included the large bottles of water they sell. The only day two of didn't reach the $49 mark was on the day we were in Cozumel, probably because we did the Cozomel Bar Hop!

Our only complaint is that so many people are getting the package that the bartenders at the pools are overwhelmed and service there was very lacking.

Were those the prices with or without gratuity? If they are without gratuity then Princess just raised the prices of their drinks about a dollar each :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can see where the packages are hugely profitable for Princess, especially on itineraries with lots of sea days.

I would expect the packages to be more profitable to Princess on itineraries with lots of port days as passengers will not be on the ship as much to get value out of the package on those days.

I would expect the packages to be more profitable to Princess on itineraries with lots of port days as passengers will not be on the ship as much to get value out of the package on those days.

Yes, you're right, of course. I saw my mistake later but was too late to correct it. That's what happens when I do three things at once.

Were those the prices with or without gratuity? If they are without gratuity then Princess just raised the prices of their drinks about a dollar each :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That was before the 15% gratuity...and yes, they have raised the price of all drinks! Makes the all inclusive package more attractive and feasible.