Europe, Hawaii, or Exotic Caribbean in January?

mapsmith

Okay a little background. From my signature, you can see we have done several cruises, mostly normal Eastern and Western Caribbean.

I am receiving an inheritance shortly. Before my Mother died last year, she often said that when she went, there should be enough of an inheritance that we should be able to take a good cruise on her. Well, there is enough.

We normally cruise in late January since that is our Anniversary.

But not sure where to go this year. We have not been to Hawaii, nor taken a European Cruise. We have taken one decent Southern Caribbean Cruise.

We are looking at a Hawaii Cruise from either S. Cal. or flying to Hawaii and taking the Pride of America. Or we could do a European Cruise (probably Western) or there is an interesting CDF cruise out of St. Martin that goes to the French Islands.

What I am looking for is help.

Is the Hawaii cruise on Pride a good choice or would one from the West Coast be better.

Would it be too cool in the Med in January.

Are the French Caribbean Islands worth a trip?

Or any other suggestions.

(price is still a limiting factor but we could probably swing $3 to $3.5 K for the cruise)

The Med in January will very likely be cold, damp, and on occasion snowy. April, May and October are the best months for that area.

For Hawaii, the cruise from the West Coast will be twice as long as the one on POA, so we will always go with a longer cruise. Plus, NCL just isn't our choice for any cruise.

...(price is still a limiting factor but we could probably swing $3 to $3.5 K for the cruise)

I suggest you consider your travel expenses before and after the cruise. It could easily cost your entire $3 to $3.5 K just for the two of you to fly over to the Med and back

Scott & Karen

I would not do the Mediterranean cruise in January as it would be very cold and potentially rainy. Caribbean is certainly popular that time of year.

To change it up I would recommend a Hawaiian cruise. The advantage of a round trip West Coast sailing is that you have sea days at the front and the back end of the cruise and then usually five days to visit several of the islands. If you have the time to take off for that I would recommend that one as it gives you the best of both worlds in one cruise.

Keith

Europe will be quite dull and grey in January...even some spots on an Eastern route.

Flights will probably cost in the region of $900 return to Spain (as an example). At least thats what my friend paid London to New Jersey at that time of year and that was with UK air tax...not sure on West coast pricing.

Hawaii may be a good option given your location and budget.

Edited by Velvetwater

i know I am repeating myself but January is just not exotic for Europe and Hawaii is so much nicer that time of year.

If you want Europe consider April or September or October but I would avoid it in January.

Keith

January in the Med? No. Too cold and rainy.

January in Hawaii? Yes, but if you go from the West Coast on a cruise, expect the days at sea to be COLD...not cool. We did this cruise in April and we were grateful to at least have a hooded sweatshirt. Seas can be rough. We are thinking of the same thing and have decided to give Pride of America a try. We would be in the wonderful year-round weather of Hawaii the entire time.

I wouldn´t cruise in Europe in January, there´s only ONE trip from Europe that I even would consider and that´s a cruise from Spain to the Canary Islands. But the western Med in January might be COLD, that´s why we haven´t taken a cruise to the Canary Islands. For us it would be better and cheaper to just fly to the Canary Islands instead.

I'd skip Europe in January too. Our foremost criteria in January is warm weather!

Our Hawaii cruise in February, from LA, had some pretty cool sea days both coming and going and Hawaii was quite rainy and cool (for Hawaii)--more than we expected, having been there 3 times before on land trips. Many days in Hawaii will have brief showers, but we had rain all or part of most days. We still enjoyed it though.

I'd probably opt for a longer Caribbean cruise that hits some of the more exotic ports, or a Panama Canal cruise. We have been on some of the French islands and they were fine. We love the southern routes that take in Dominica, Granada and St. Lucia.