AquaClass on Celebrity Summit - opinions wanted

DonnaK

I am considering booking an AquaClass cabin. I read through the list of benefits and amenities, but it's all like a foreign language to me. So I want to ask:

Is it worth it?

What are the most useful amenities?

What are your favorite benefits?

What is the Persian Garden?

What is Blu? Is it complementary or is there an upcharge? Menus?

Is it worth it? IMO, no. Unless you get one of the new rooms on the top deck. These rooms have a new bathroom which is much needed on this ship. If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a sky suite, specifically 6145 or 6146 which are attached and decorated like the penthouse.

What are the most useful amenities? For us the most useful are BLU and the free bottled water.

What are your favorite benefits? BLU and free bottled water.

What is the Persian Garden? This is a section of the spa that has varying rooms...relaxation, hot showers, cold showers, steam room, etc. It's like hanging out in a dark cave and all I think about is how many germs are in this place. The last time we went a european man was in the steam room with me blowing his nose into is hand. I kid you not.

What is Blu? Is it complementary or is there an upcharge? Menus? BLU is a private dining room for Aqua and Suite guest. They serve more interesting and somewhat healthier food, but not really. They serve breakfast and dinner only. It is complemetary.

The benefits for us are a smaller, quieter, more personalized dining room...blu...for both breakfast and dinner. There are no upcharge items in Blu. I think there are copies of the Blu menus floating around here somewhere. The food is very good....with full hot breakfasts, also from a menu.

The only other perks that are memorable for us are the better shower and glass shower doors instead of curtains, the bottled water (2 bottles free per day).

We are big fans of Aqua Class and are booked in AQ on the Summit this fall. We've sailed in AQ on both Solstice Class and Millennium Class, like the Summit.

The Solstice Class AQ experience is, in my opinion, a little better but there's still plenty to be said for it on M-Class ships. As someone mentioned, the cabins on Deck 11 are preferable (and a little more expensive). Even at that, while the inside of the cabins is better on Deck 11, the balconies have very little overhead cover so if shade is important, you might consider a cabin on Deck 9.

Blu is wonderful. In theory, it's lighter fare but that's mostly because there are no heavy sauces, Blu uses reductions instead. I actually like the M-Class Blu a little better - they carved out space for it from the top level of the Main Dining Room and I think it made the service a little easier, especially with any requested variations from the standard Blu menu. The best thing about the food in Blu is that it is made to order so it's easy to play mix and match with menu items. Breakfast in Blu is fantastic!

While I love the Persian Gardens on the S-Class ships, it's a little disappointing on M-Class ships. It's interior and dark and while there are heated tile benches, they don't have the wonderful loungers that the S-Class ships. However, the steam room and sauna there are very nice and never crowded.

AQ passengers receive daily complimentary bottled water and a special iced tea (sort of herbal). That may not seem like much but we went through a couple of bottles of water each nearly every day so it was a nice benefit.

You'll also find a chilled bottle of sparkling wine in your cabin at embarkation. It's not the good stuff but it's fun to share with your friends at some point.

Last winter we sailed on the Silhouette with a family group. Since we were picking up the cruise fare for our daughters, we opted for regular balcony cabins rather than Aqua Class. We missed it - a lot!

We have had Aqua class cabins on both deck 9 and 11. The deck 11 aft are the highest fare but have extended balconies that form a wide V with the middle cabin (1140) having the largest balcony. The aft balconies have a partial cover on all decks. The port and starboard deck 11 cabins have the smaller overhang which does not provide very much protection in the rain.

The deck 9 cabins are under the Lido, pool and spa. The cabins going up from 9108 starboard are under the carpeting in the Lido where any overhead noise is almost nonexistent. (The same is true for the port cabins starting at the same point.) If you are a light sleeper these are a better choice. We've stayed under the pool too and have not been too bothered by the noise early in the morning when it seems to bother most.

The amenities for the Aqua class cabins are not too far beyond those offered for the Concierge class cabins but the availability of dining in Blu is the biggest factor for us. There is no formal night attire required. The dress remains casual throughout the cruise. Jeans are not really appropriate but acceptable except for formal night (depending on your maître 'd.) Dining is open seating which suits port days very well. The food is prepared to order unless it is a slow cooked entrée like osso bucco for example. When the new suites dining room is opened I cannot imagine much more than a 10 minute wait for a table even at peak time. There are more tables for 2 percentage wise than in the MDR as well. Although the two top will be close to another two top you can always choose to politely avoid conversation with the adjoining table if you wish. Unless you just happen to be seated in the same area each night you could have different wait staff each evening.

If the price differential is not too bad and you can find an AQ cabin that you like then don't hesitate. They are a step above other categories and the whole body shower and rainfall shower head are a terrific way to soothe those long excursion day aches.

thanks for the info. They are running a resident special on the Aqua cabins right now, making them less than a regular balcony. That's why we are considering them...we were originally going to get insides, or one inside and one balcony, but 2 Aquas actually cost less. Just waiting now for my husband to get the time off from work approved, and hoping the resident rate doesn't disappear by then.

Edited by DonnaK

alcpa1 - that is a very helpfull observation. We have an AQ cabin booked for Dec 13 on the Summit and are arriving in SJU a week early. With todays airline weight restrictions, it is a challenge to haul all our clothing, snorkel equipment, and photography equipment and meet the restrictive baggage allowances on most US airlines, and have enough stuff for 2 weeks. Being CDN we are not used to having to pay for a first bag (let alone a second), and I completely lose it on over weight charges! Not having to pack extra shoes, suits, ties, and dress shirts would help. What do the 2 of you usually wear to dinner at Blu on formal nights, I was thinking collared golf shirt, casual dress pants, black deck shoes. My wife is also fretting about this. I was actually thinking of the Tux rental option to save hassle, but that seems like such a waste.

Edited by G&L in WPG
I can't spell worth a damn

I am considering booking an AquaClass cabin. I read through the list of benefits and amenities, but it's all like a foreign language to me. So I want to ask:

Is it worth it?

Having sailed in a variety of cabins/suites, I would say based on price. We are scheduled for an august summit cruise and the price for AQ has dropped and is cheaper then a balcony or CC cabin. The only viable perk is you dine in Blu. While the food isn't great, IMO on par with the MDR, the venue is more like a restaurant then a banquet hall. However, some people like a banquet hall compared to a restaurant. The Persian garden is about 8 tiled heated lounges. the room has a sauna and steam room, all small. We used it once for a few minutes. you are given some cabin scents that are placed on a shelf in your cabin,which are IMO annoying especially if you have allergies, I ask them to remove it. You get daily hor douvers which you do not need and most of the time aren't worth the calories. Also daily cold teas, if you like that beverage. You do get free bottled water. That is a good perk. The cabin is the same size as a regular balcony cabin. You also get some sample bathroom amenities, lip balm, etc. The shower head is more deluxe, and the mirror has a section that is fog free. Be careful about location, as you do not want to be under the gym or noisy areas of the pool.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

Having sailed in a variety of cabins/suites, I would say based on price. We are scheduled for an august summit cruise and the price for AQ has dropped and is cheaper then a balcony or CC cabin. The only viable perk is you dine in Blu. While the food isn't great, IMO on par with the MDR, the venue is more like a restaurant then a banquet hall. However, some people like a banquet hall compared to a restaurant. The Persian garden is about 8 tiled heated lounges. the room has a sauna and steam room, all small. We used it once for a few minutes. you are given some cabin scents that are placed on a shelf in your cabin,which are IMO annoying especially if you have allergies, I ask them to remove it. You get daily hor douvers which you do not need and most of the time aren't worth the calories. Also daily cold teas, if you like that beverage. You do get free bottled water. That is a good perk. The cabin is the same size as a regular balcony cabin. You also get some sample bathroom amenities, lip balm, etc. The shower head is more deluxe, and the mirror has a section that is fog free. Be careful about location, as you do not want to be under the gym or noisy areas of the pool.

Enjoy your cruise

I hesitated, and while I was waiting to get the vacation time approved from work, the resident special increased by $200, so it's not the great value that it was over the weekend. :(

We were just on Summit in 1140, the center aft cabin with the huge balcony. Cabin was usually great, but occasionally we would smell cigar smoke when a couple of guys were smoking in the Sunset Bar below. Will not book aft again for that reason. Had one for an upcoming cruise and changed.

On our recent cruise, Blu was outstanding. The crew in there works so well, as a team, headed up by Luigi, who is also outstanding. Every request was granted cheerfully and quickly. No need to wait for a specific wait staff person. They all worked together. After Blu on Eclipse a year ago, this was a pleasant surprise. MUCH better! :D

My husband enjoyed the granola cart, which they bring to your table and mix for you with ingredients of your choice.

We book Aqua for my husband, who loves the Persian Garden. He says that is better on S class ships. Still worth it for him to book Aqua though. If you are planning to use Persian Garden anyway (there is a charge), consider that in the price difference. The tea and bottled water were nice, but not a big thing for us with beverage packages.

Doris

Edited by STXCruisers

Donna..

Keep checking..

Trust me..they may add more cabins, if you were looking at the AQ guarantee?

It was so cheap that friends went from an OV to an AQ for 27 bucks...total

for that price, it's worth it for bottled water alone.

My cousin had AQ on Summit in Jan and really enjoyed Blu..

If the great deal pops back up, jump on it..

The Aug 3 sailing has a LOT LOT of AQ cabins open, so there's a chance that it may pop back up....it IS a resident special though, and they're running a North East promo anyway......

(You should have done a courtesy hold at least...oops...)

Wow they did raise it... Those revenue people are soooo bad.... :)

Edited by megr1125

Keep checking was $999 pp yesterday for AQ. Good luck
Donna..

Keep checking..

Trust me..they may add more cabins, if you were looking at the AQ guarantee?

It was so cheap that friends went from an OV to an AQ for 27 bucks...total

for that price, it's worth it for bottled water alone.

My cousin had AQ on Summit in Jan and really enjoyed Blu..

If the great deal pops back up, jump on it..

The Aug 3 sailing has a LOT LOT of AQ cabins open, so there's a chance that it may pop back up....it IS a resident special though, and they're running a North East promo anyway......

(You should have done a courtesy hold at least...oops...)

Wow they did raise it... Those revenue people are soooo bad....

I'm looking at Aug 10 or 17. They were $999 for NY residents (less than a regular balcony, and not a guarantee, for an actual cabin) but now they are up to $1199. We are booking two cabins, so that's a large difference.

Yes, I regret not putting a courtesy hold on it. I will keep checking

Edited by DonnaK

I'm looking at Aug 10 or 17. They were $999 for NY residents (less than a regular balcony, and not a guarantee, for an actual cabin) but now they are up to $1199. We are booking two cabins, so that's a large difference.

Yes, I regret not putting a courtesy hold on it. I will keep checking

The $999. resident deal is available for an A2. for the end of August if that can work- put a hold on it and check! Good luck

Is it worth it?

Go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. We really enjoy BLU

Edited by 20pluscruises

The $999. resident deal is available for an A2. for the end of August if that can work- put a hold on it and check! Good luck

Thanks...I saw that the deal was still there for the August 24 sailing, but unfortunately we cannot all get off from work that week. It had been there for the 4 previous weeks up until Tuesday, before the price increased.

I really do appreciate the help of everyone who posted to this thread!

Edited by DonnaK

Thanks...I saw that the deal was still there for the August 24 sailing, but unfortunately we cannot all get off from work that week. It had been there for the 4 previous weeks up until Tuesday, before the price increased.

I really do appreciate the help of everyone who posted to this thread!

I had also noticed, not on the Celebrity website, but another very popular online travel agency (out of this world hint) that they would pay for parking. This would save you almost 150 plus tax. Perhaps this will make 8/10 work with your budget.

Is it worth it?

This is not what you asked and is meant kindly, I felt I should say this, if you found RCI radiance class ships"boring" as you posted I am afraid you will find Celebrity even more so.

Now me I love that! I like a nice relaxing atmosphere, which is why I prefer Celebrity to RCI unless it is a radiance class ship. I do not have to zipline, ice skate, or ride a flowrider on a cruise ship to enjoy myself, but I am afraid you would hate it from some of your other posts I have read.

Blu is the restaurant you are assigned if you book aqua class and no there is no upcharge.

Just curious, why not just fill up a couple bottles of water from the drinking tap? Simple and does not cost anything other than bottle itself and it is the same water.

Blu, had healthier choices at dinner than the other restuarants

This is not what you asked and is meant kindly, I felt I should say this, if you found RCI radiance class ships"boring" as you posted I am afraid you will find Celebrity even more so.

Now me I love that! I like a nice relaxing atmosphere, which is why I prefer Celebrity to RCI unless it is a radiance class ship. I do not have to zipline, ice skate, or ride a flowrider on a cruise ship to enjoy myself, but I am afraid you would hate it from some of your other posts I have read.

Blu is the restaurant you are assigned if you book aqua class and no there is no upcharge.

Actually, we have already been on the Summit (NJ to Bermuda last August) and absolutely loved it. We were totally blown away by the quality and quantity of live entertainment and activities on that ship! We don't need ziplines, flowriders, etc, either, but we do like to be entertained and to have interesting activities to participate in. Summit had 3 production shows compared to 2 on RCI, with a significantly larger and more talented troupe. Additionally, the troupe performed two other concerts, one being a fantastic rocking jam session with all the other entertainers on the ship. The three lounge singers were also top quality, and we attended quite a few enjoyable activities such as the restaurant and galley tour, and a cooking competition similar to Chopped (where my daughter was selected as a judge).

Jewel of the Seas cannot compare...the production shows were horrible, and the lounge singers and other entertainment/activities weren't very talented, the scheduled activities did not interest us, etc. Service and food quality did not compare either, and was really not up to usual RCI standards. (Real ice cream in the Buffet area on Summit versus self-serve fro-yo on RCI, for example)

We are huge RCI fans, but we rank Jewel as our 2nd least favorite cruise (just above Carnival Miracle, with was the worst). On the other hand, our cruise on the Summit was one of our favorites!

Edited by DonnaK

Are you actually assigned to Blu if you book Aqua Class, or is it optional? Can I still get a traditional dinner assignment in the MDR?