Hats? On or off indoors?

Wow just goes to show there is no subject so trivial that people on CC won't get offended and indignant about it :rolleyes:

To answer the OP, personally I don't wear a hat in any restaurant, ship or land but I really don't care if anyone else does. But I wear a hat other places indoors all the time and don't see a big deal.

As for why fathers don't teach sons to remove their hats indoors it's simple. Like many other old-fashioned notions of dress, it has fallen by the way side. Women used to wear skirts down to their ankles even on the beach because any shorter showed a lack of "propriety". Times change.

We are definately on the same page........And I don't wear dirty hats! :cool:

fb-like-button.jpg

Hats off when indoors, period! The only exception is medical condition or religious reasons.

Which religion requires the wearing of a hat? I am not referring to cultural preferences, but religions?

I don't know of any that require the wearing of baseball hats.:confused:

The question I responded to was:

Which religion requires the wearing of a hat?

The question said nothing about baseball hats.

Edited by time4u2go

Just as wearing a tux on formal night has gone away, just as never wearing white after Sept. 1st has gone away, ,,, the same can be said about wearing a hat.

Except in certain circumstances which would be the National Anthem and/or entering a place of worship.

Similar to your examples of the national anthem and worship, it is tradition to remove your hat when entering a dining facility on a ship. During past wars, ships' dining facility and wardroom tables were used to treat injured soldiers and sailors. Many died on those tables, and this included commandeered cruise ships.

I was raised on respect and tradition and you will never see me wearing a hat while eating, especially on a ship. I'm sad to see so many men, especially older men, getting away from this.

Of course, I am smart enough to know this is about ballcaps, not the exceptions like religion or medical.

Of course, I am smart enough to know this is about ballcaps, not the exceptions like religion or medical.

Unfortunately your not, because if someone is wearing a ball cap for medical reasons you'll likely not know it. The reason they would wear it is to conceal something either embarrassing to them or disturbing to others. If they are successful, then you will simply see a disrespectful person who doesn't understand your traditions.

But this is CC, where the most unlikely edge cases have to be debated :rolleyes:

Look at any thread about shorts in the MDR, someone will bring up their poor uncle Barney who has a rare medical condition that causes his legs to spontaneously combust if a shred of cloth touches him below the thigh. And how we are all insensitive for not taking his needs into account! :p

Please don't get me started on the national anthem during sporting events,HATS OFF show some respect for the men an women that fought so you can sit and watch that game. I think that hats should be off in a specialty restaurant, MDR, etc. Was on Norwegians Gem this last summer and seen some baseball hats in Cagney's Steak House during dinner. Feels like it brings the dining experience down a notch.

People fought so I can sit and watch a football game?:rolleyes:

Hats off is usually all about respect

If you were taught that. If you weren't' taught that way they not mean any disrespect. But I'm with you, I can't stand the thought of leaving my hat on indoors. But today's generation that is likely to wear it backwards or some other goofy fashion can't even be trained to list the toilet seat while urinating. I've given up on the hats.

Exactly what I was thinking! ..... And I have never seen anyone wearing a hat in the dining room anyway :D

I do, throughout the day and for all three meals even on formal night, and it is for religious reasons.

For the record, a baseball cap for breakfast and a dark European type cap for dinner.

Do my fellow cruisers know the reason, I doubt it.

Will it cause them discomfort or think that I am ignorant, probably

I don't have any sons but I have on occasion had to remind my husband to remove his ball cap in different situations. It isn't that he doesn't know to do it but rather that he forgot it was on his head. I imagine for a lot of people if you have something on for a while you forget about it. I know I certainly do.

I honestly think the reason for it being good manners was so that the hat didn't block someone else's view.

I do, throughout the day and for all three meals even on formal night, and it is for religious reasons.

For the record, a baseball cap for breakfast and a dark European type cap for dinner.

And I know someone who suffered from proliferating Pilar Tumors, I'm sure people thought he was ignorant as well.

Hats are welcome at my table, and I won't even ask you why you wear it.

But this is CC, where the most unlikely edge cases have to be debated :rolleyes:

Look at any thread about shorts in the MDR, someone will bring up their poor uncle Barney who has a rare medical condition that causes his legs to spontaneously combust if a shred of cloth touches him below the thigh. And how we are all insensitive for not taking his needs into account! :p

Ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately your not, because if someone is wearing a ball cap for medical reasons you'll likely not know it.

Actually, yes I can. It's because I have a little thing called common sense that seems to be void in a lot of people around here.

But today's generation that is likely to wear it backwards or some other goofy fashion.

In fairness to today's generation wearing caps backwards was a "goofy fashion" when I was younger too. In fact I think it has always been just another way to wear a cap. I know some people like them or they don't, but I've never really understood the big deal about which way you wear it - if I'm out and about I quite often want to keep the sun off my neck rather than out of my eyes. :cool:

I don't care what people wear to the dining room, because we always get a table or booth for two and it gives us something to watch to entertain ourselves while eating.

On the other hand, I was at a University of Arizona football game once with my cousin who didn't remove his hat for the National Anthem. I knocked it off his head. :)

When I am on a cruise I remove my ballcaps that I wear in any eating establishment as I do on land as well as removing it when I go into someones home. I do not remove them when I am walking around the inside of the ship!

Same with me :)

Mike

Would you feel the same way if the hat was worn for religious purposes, or a Sikh wearing a turban, or an man using it to cover up a terrible skin condition or head bandage?

Do these people have to wear signs saying, "excuse for wearing a hat during your meal but I have........."?

Maybe people should just care about themselves and leave other people alone. If someone wearing a hat ruins "your" dining experience, then you have the problem not them

you base your argument on the exception to the rule. Few will take issue if there is good reason. The only way to have a culture is to stick our noses in each others business and apply pure pressure to conform. Everyone must be exactly the same. If not they will be stoned or burned at the stake in the town square. Lol. Manners are for others, they are not for ourselves. By their very nature manners are other peoples business. It is something we do for others and others expect from us in our civilization.

Actually, yes I can. It's because I have a little thing called common sense that seems to be void in a lot of people around here.

Fascinating. how would your magical common sense tell you that someone is wearing a hat to cover a medical abnormality? That certainly is a sense of perception that goes above and beyond the ordinary. Maybe you have uncommon sense? Or maybe you just figure that it doesn't really happen therefore it's just a farce and you can ridicule people who don't measure up to your standards.

I guessing that you are male and Jewish, if so that is different from someone wearing a baseball cap or beanie on fashion grounds.

Fascinating. how would your magical common sense tell you that someone is wearing a hat to cover a medical abnormality? That certainly is a sense of perception that goes above and beyond the ordinary. Maybe you have uncommon sense? Or maybe you just figure that it doesn't really happen therefore it's just a farce and you can ridicule people who don't measure up to your standards.

Edit....Nevermind. I'll just take George Carlin's advice and not argue anymore. Have a nice day.

Edited by Aquahound