Hats? On or off indoors?

I am a woman, but I was raised with a generation of men whose fathers told their sons to remove their hats when coming indoors. This would preclude, of course, a man wearing a hat of any kind in the Windjammer, the dining room, the theater, an indoor bar, and so on.

Certainly, it is second nature for my husband to remove his hat any time he comes indoors. I am also interested, as a hockey fan, that the announcer has to announce that people should remove their hats during the national anthems.

Do fathers teach their sons when to remove their hats any more? And if not, why not?

Just as wearing a tux on formal night has gone away, just as never wearing white after Sept. 1st has gone away, ,,, the same can be said about wearing a hat.

Except in certain circumstances which would be the National Anthem and/or entering a place of worship.

I may be old fashioned, but my 16yo son removes his baseball cap anytime we are in a restaurant. Even if it's Johnny Rockets.

That's just how I was raised. And I would never allow a baseball cap during a show. I don't care what others wear ... They paid to be on the same cruise I did ... But the rules with our family is no hats. Probably my southern influence. And my husband went to cotillion, for crying out loud. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hats off is usually all about respect (hence the comments about National Anthems, churches etc) which I'd agree is how I was brought up. Personally I wear a hat for function, rather than fashion, so I wouldn't need to wear it indoors. However times have changed and if that's what others want to do it doesn't really matter to me. Sometimes a hat is just a hat and not a statement! I'm always amused when you see someone dressing smartly and topping it off with a baseball cap though.

Edited by GaryT-UK

Please don't get me started on the national anthem during sporting events,HATS OFF show some respect for the men an women that fought so you can sit and watch that game. I think that hats should be off in a specialty restaurant, MDR, etc. Was on Norwegians Gem this last summer and seen some baseball hats in Cagney's Steak House during dinner. Feels like it brings the dining experience down a notch.

Please don't get me started on the national anthem during sporting events,HATS OFF show some respect for the men an women that fought so you can sit and watch that game. I think that hats should be off in a specialty restaurant, MDR, etc. Was on Norwegians Gem this last summer and seen some baseball hats in Cagney's Steak House during dinner. Feels like it brings the dining experience down a notch.

Would you feel the same way if the hat was worn for religious purposes, or a Sikh wearing a turban, or an man using it to cover up a terrible skin condition or head bandage?

Do these people have to wear signs saying, "excuse for wearing a hat during your meal but I have........."?

Maybe people should just care about themselves and leave other people alone. If someone wearing a hat ruins "your" dining experience, then you have the problem not them

When I am on a cruise I remove my ballcaps that I wear in any eating establishment as I do on land as well as removing it when I go into someones home. I do not remove them when I am walking around the inside of the ship!

I think that hats should be off in a specialty restaurant, MDR, etc. Was on Norwegians Gem this last summer and seen some baseball hats in Cagney's Steak House during dinner. Feels like it brings the dining experience down a notch.

I agree hat's should be off in a restaurant, particularly a nice one. But I'm not going to let it "bring down" my dining experience. Just show's the ignorance of the guy wearing it.:rolleyes:

Are you 100% positive that you know why he is wearing it so that you can justify calling him ignorant?

No and I saw your previous post and did not mean to be insensitive if someone has a medical or other condition............:rolleyes: Jeez. In 99% of the cases I'd say it's likely ignorance. And I am leaving them alone and not "calling" anyone ignorant to their face. Lighten up!

Edited by bouhunter

I am a woman, but I was raised with a generation of men whose fathers told their sons to remove their hats when coming indoors. This would preclude, of course, a man wearing a hat of any kind in the Windjammer, the dining room, the theater, an indoor bar, and so on.

Certainly, it is second nature for my husband to remove his hat any time he comes indoors. I am also interested, as a hockey fan, that the announcer has to announce that people should remove their hats during the national anthems.

Do fathers teach their sons when to remove their hats any more? And if not, why not?

I was most certainly raised to remove a hat indoors. The only exception to that rule in my upbringing was an indoor sporting event. I can't explain the logic behind that exception, but that's how it was for me.

I definitely agree that there's a difference in standards between walking into a restaurant and walking into a basketball (or in your case, hockey) game. Yelling, screaming, and cheering, while not just permitted, but encouraged at a game is typically less accepted practice at a restaurant.

No and I saw your previous post and did not mean to be insensitive if someone has a medical or other condition............:rolleyes: Jeez. In 99% of the cases I'd say it's likely ignorance.

That is my point exactly. You can't know if he is in the 1%, so why judge someone based on your prejudice?

For whatever reason, many passengers wear (dirty) ball caps (lots are wearing them backwards) in the dining room. Kinda grosses me out. This is one case that someone’s attire doers have an effect on my dining experience. At an open lunch seating, I was lead to a table with a family of men in dirty ball caps. I declined, and asked to be seated elsewhere. (Like I said – it grosses me out)

I would hope that if the hat must be worn for medical reasons, that at least it is clean.

M

That is my point exactly. You can't know if he is in the 1%, so why judge someone based on your prejudice?
What religion or medical condition requires wearing a dirty ball cap on backwards?? Also having good manners is not prejudice.:rolleyes: Edited by FLACRUISER99

Just show's the ignorance of the guy wearing it.:rolleyes:

Given that some people wear hats for reasons other than just "because" maybe they are not the ignorant ones.

I have come back to edit this post because I know my comment was snarky and I really don't like to do that. However, this particular topic is one that is very personal to me. My mother-in-law had cancer and wore hats and my son also has a condition that he is extremely self-conscious about and, therefore, he wears hats. He wouldn't wear one in the main dining room or a specialty restaurant, however, a place like Johnny Rockets he would. That being said, he doesn't wear his hat backwards and they are NEVER dirty.

I also grew up in the South and I understand where everyone is coming from regarding the respect issue. My only reason for posting is to say that, while many people wear hats just for fashion, for some people there really is a reason. Not everyone is doing it because "I paid for my cruise and I am going to do what I want". For some people there is a reason. The next time you look at someone and think they are being disrespectful, check out their entire persona. Maybe they are very respectful but want to be comfortable and not self-conscious.

Edited by hgmizzou

so why judge someone based on your prejudice?

Unbelievable. Can you even recognize the discussion was primarily about BALL CAPS???? You know darn well the original and primary discussion wasn't about medical conditions or religion. And now you're calling people "prejudiced"? Pathetic. If you reply I won't see it, sending you to ignore section in my preferences.

Edited by bouhunter

What religion or medical condition requires wearing a dirty ball cap on backwards?? Also having good manners is not prejudice.:rolleyes:

Proliferating Pilar Tumors, although the position of the offending cover would be personal choice and I would suggest it's cleanliness is probably just your perception and not necessarily fact.

Unbelievable. Can you even recognize the discussion was primarily about BALL CAPS???? You know darn well the original and primary discussion wasn't about medical conditions or religion. And now you're calling people "prejudiced"? Pathetic. If you reply I won't see it, sending you to ignore section in my preferences.

I really don't care if you see or reply to my response as I am talking to the open minded people not you.

I know it was about ball caps. All I said is that YOU and people like you, who don't know why it is being worn should reserve judgement until you do

As to the ball cap being on backwards or dirty, if I wore it straight would that make it better. ? Do you really look that closely to see if it is dirty or not?

In the end it is still the hat that you are objecting to not the direction

Wow just goes to show there is no subject so trivial that people on CC won't get offended and indignant about it :rolleyes:

To answer the OP, personally I don't wear a hat in any restaurant, ship or land but I really don't care if anyone else does. But I wear a hat other places indoors all the time and don't see a big deal.

As for why fathers don't teach sons to remove their hats indoors it's simple. Like many other old-fashioned notions of dress, it has fallen by the way side. Women used to wear skirts down to their ankles even on the beach because any shorter showed a lack of "propriety". Times change.