how do you make your hotel reservation

AF-1

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Chick;42996797]I'll book directly on the hotel website. I might use the online travel sites to research info about hotels, but many of them have restrictions about cancelling while many hotels will allow you to cancel even the night before without any charge.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE, be sure you check the cancellation restrictions on ANY rate you book!!!! You may be able to cancel the night before, but you may still be charged for that night. Cancellation periods are getting more common. I had 3 people just this week call the night before, ask to cancel and not pay (or get their points back). Sorry - the Front Desk can cancel your ressie (just hit that big red "X" on the screen), but I can't get back your money or points. You'll have to call back and talk to our Reservations Manager - he may or may not let you skate without paying...

[quote name='slidergirl']PLEASE, be sure you check the cancellation restrictions on ANY rate you book!!!! You may be able to cancel the night before, but you may still be charged for that night. Cancellation periods are getting more common. I had 3 people just this week call the night before, ask to cancel and not pay (or get their points back). Sorry - the Front Desk can cancel your ressie (just hit that big red "X" on the screen), but I can't get back your money or points. You'll have to call back and talk to our Reservations Manager - he may or may not let you skate without paying...[/QUOTE]

SliderGirl, what would you recommend if; I book the hotel and there is an cancellation policy 24 hours in advance. Since I'm flying overnight from the US to Venice, Italy; I won't be able to get in touch while in the air. So when I show up the following day; should I ask for the best rate; although I have already have a reservation with a fee? I would think the front desk will say; you have our best rate.

[quote name='AF-1']SliderGirl, what would you recommend if; I book the hotel and there is an cancellation policy 24 hours in advance. Since I'm flying overnight from the US to Venice, Italy; I won't be able to get in touch while in the air. So when I show up the following day; should I ask for the best rate; although I have already have a reservation with a fee? I would think the front desk will say; you have our best rate.[/QUOTE]

You can always ask. But, depending on how that hotel does their bookings and rate structuring, it may not be able to just simply switch. Sometimes, you must cancel and re-book - that would not be worth the price most of the time. Now, this is from my experience working at hotels that belong to world-wide chains. "mom & pop" hotels can operate quite differently with their own business.
One thing I always live by when I book hotels, flights, restaurants: book what you want, don't expect more, be excited if more happens. I see too many folks who book the cheapest room, then come back and say they don't like the view, etc., want a "better" room. Well, if you wanted the better room, you should have booked it in the first place ;)

We are looking to book the Best Western Olympia in Venice for our two adult kids. The best rate I have found with full breakfast included; free wifi, was around $350 USD

I think you are over thinking this whole hotel reservations thing. What do you do when you make a hotel reservation for any other vacation? This really shouldn't be any different.
I do think of things differently just because I do work in the hotel industry and I see all the "backstory" to reservations and rooms. People will try to cancel a ressie by saying "my dog just died", "I'm in the hospital", "my flight was cancelled", etc… No way to know on our end if the person is truthful not. A guest will check in, come right back down and say "this isn't the room we booked on Expedia and we want the room with the oceanfront balcony" when I can clearly see on the screen that Expedia told us they wanted the cheapest room with the parking lot view and no balcony :roll eyes:

Be sure you will be happy with the room you booked. If you want, politely ask if a Canal view, etc., is available. You may or may not get it. You may be asked to pay for the upgrade. I think it's just a tad overkill to ask someone if this is the best rate - you booked at what was the best rate at the time you booked - if you hadn't booked, they could have booked someone else at that rate. Do you walk up to the counter of your airline and ask if the rate you paid is the best one available?

That's just me. If you want to play the "book, but walk in" game, ask if they can lower the price, etc., go ahead.

We learned a bit of a lesson this past week. We booked a hotel in Panama City(Panama) through an on line booking dot...site. The hotel charged our card when we made the reservation. We cancelled-well within the cancellation period. Tried for six months to get the refund...hotel kept saying bank problem. Nonsense.

Last week I called the booking site. Their customer service was excellent. I sent them the credit card info etc. They said it would be resolved in 5 days. I had two follow up memos from them advising me that they were working it. Memo on the 5th day saying refund on the way, on the 6th day the credit from the hotel appeared on our cc on line statement.

Had we booked direct I feel quite certain that I would still be asking for my refund. Absolutely first rate customer service by the on line booking agency. Edited by iancal

[quote name='iancal']We learned a bit of a lesson this past week. We booked a hotel in Panama City(Panama) through an on line booking dot...site. The hotel charged our card when we made the reservation. We cancelled-well within the cancellation period. Tried for six months to get the refund...hotel kept saying bank problem. Nonsense.

Last week I called the booking site. Their customer service was excellent. I sent them the credit card info etc. They said it would be resolved in 5 days. I had two follow up memos from them advising me that they were working it. Memo on the 5th day saying refund on the way, on the 6th day the credit from the hotel appeared on our cc on line statement.

Had we booked direct I feel quite certain that I would still be asking for my refund. Absolutely first rate customer service by the on line booking agency.[/QUOTE]

That's very good customer service; but I will tell you; I would have disputed the charge and let the credit card company deal with the hotel. American Express is excellent taking care of disputes. Amex will refund the money to my card; then they will go after the vendor to get the money back.

[quote name='slidergirl']I think you are over thinking this whole hotel reservations thing. What do you do when you make a hotel reservation for any other vacation? This really shouldn't be any different.
I do think of things differently just because I do work in the hotel industry and I see all the "backstory" to reservations and rooms. People will try to cancel a ressie by saying "my dog just died", "I'm in the hospital", "my flight was cancelled", etc… No way to know on our end if the person is truthful not. A guest will check in, come right back down and say "this isn't the room we booked on Expedia and we want the room with the oceanfront balcony" when I can clearly see on the screen that Expedia told us they wanted the cheapest room with the parking lot view and no balcony :roll eyes:

Be sure you will be happy with the room you booked. If you want, politely ask if a Canal view, etc., is available. You may or may not get it. You may be asked to pay for the upgrade. I think it's just a tad overkill to ask someone if this is the best rate - you booked at what was the best rate at the time you booked - if you hadn't booked, they could have booked someone else at that rate. Do you walk up to the counter of your airline and ask if the rate you paid is the best one available?

That's just me. If you want to play the "book, but walk in" game, ask if they can lower the price, etc., go ahead.[/QUOTE]
Basically I have spent a week looking at hotel and third party websites; then I asked these questions on this website; done; I booked the hotel and got a confirmation. I'm done with it until we get to Venice next year. Thanks