how do you make your hotel reservation

AF-1

I usually call the hotel directly, after researching online. The reservation clerks have some leeway on pricing...so ask for any "specials"!

Not in some of the major chains they don't. They used to, but since they have gone to "best price guarantees" the clerks do not have the authority to offer lower rates, only the sales department can do that, and they won't unless it is for a group.

Depends.

If I'm with a group, I let the TA make the decision.

If I'm traveling on business or on a family vacation,,,,I go directly to the hotels website.

I never ever use a discount website.

I've had bad experiences where first you pay up front for all costs, hotel doesn't provide a cost breakout at checkout ( told to get that from my discounter), issues with room availability (told to talk to discounter), hotel loyalty points not given due going through discounter. Etc.

wow, this is good info; thanks for posting this

Book direct with hotel via website or use Priceline NYOP option

What does NYOP mean; is that Name your own price? Then does priceline say yea or nay to the price?

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question. You guys are great; and quick with your responses. Let me break my question down to give you a little more detail and then ask another question. We are going to Venice next year; NCL Jade sails out of Venice. My wife and I will use Hilton points to stay at the Hilton Stucky. This is a 14 night cruise. Our adult son and daughter will be joining us for the second 7 days. I am going to book them a hotel in Piazzle Roma; and am looking at Best Western Olympia; it's close to the people mover and still close to other Venice attractions. I went to Best Western website; they have a deal; if you like us on Facebook; we give you extra 10% off. The room comes with breakfast. So if you book the Facebook rate; they want payment now with no cancellation. If I book the other rate where I can cancel up to 48 hours; its $60 more. My wife and I plan on taking people mover from ship to their hotel; have lunch and then head back to the ship. My question is this: is the Facebook rate a teaser rate or should I just choose the normal website price?

We sometimes book flexible. As the date gets closer and our plans firm up we go with the prepay IF the saving is there.

We have used tripadvisor-B&B's very successfully for Venice. That category often includes small, family run hotels. The good ones in Venice book up early. I cannot recall ever needing to pay in advance for one though. Many place have breakfast. There is breakfast, then there is breakfast. It can be anything from a cup of coffee and a packaged croissant to the full blown meal deal.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question. You guys are great; and quick with your responses. Let me break my question down to give you a little more detail and then ask another question. We are going to Venice next year; NCL Jade sails out of Venice. My wife and I will use Hilton points to stay at the Hilton Stucky. This is a 14 night cruise. Our adult son and daughter will be joining us for the second 7 days. I am going to book them a hotel in Piazzle Roma; and am looking at Best Western Olympia; it's close to the people mover and still close to other Venice attractions. I went to Best Western website; they have a deal; if you like us on Facebook; we give you extra 10% off. The room comes with breakfast. So if you book the Facebook rate; they want payment now with no cancellation. If I book the other rate where I can cancel up to 48 hours; its $60 more. My wife and I plan on taking people mover from ship to their hotel; have lunch and then head back to the ship. My question is this: is the Facebook rate a teaser rate or should I just choose the normal website price?

I'm not keen on booking non-cancellable rates, just because I often have had to adjust my plans. But, for those whose plans are firm, it seems like a good deal.

To answer your initial question - I always book directly with the hotel, and I would say probably a good 3/4 of the time take advantage of a chain's best price guarantee - most often with Marriott, but sometimes with other chains. I try to use points for high-priced rooms when it makes the most sense. For instance, for our Europe trip this summer, I'm staying on points/free night certificates in Warsaw, Prague, Salzburg and Venice, but paying for nights in Vienna, Milan and Zurich where I was able to use Marriott's Look No Further program to get rates in the $100/night range.

I almost always use Priceline NYOP. I typically save 50% give or take over the rate showing for that date using the hotels website booking engine.

That said, I do believe everything the hotel industry employee said. Therefore I recommend PL bidding if you are two people, have firm dates, and don't travel frequently enough to benefit from loyalty programs.

There are always the stories about getting the least desirable rooms in the hotel, but I haven't found that to be the case. I almost always am biddign 3.5* or higher category, and I almost always research on one of the bidding info websites, just search "priceline bidding" to find them, there are three I look at, and a couple of others I haven't used yet. I use the free rebid techniques found on those websites to place multiple bids, sometimes over multiple days, to try to ensure I am paying at or near the lowest bid.

I have found, especially within the last year, that cheaper bids work best closer to my travel date. Therefore I have on occasion made a separate, cancelable reservations while I worked on my PL bids.

Does anyone have recommendation for hotel near Brooklyn Cruise Port and also where you can park car.

That's a tough one. There is nothing near the Brooklyn cruise port - a truly dismal part of New York. If possible, you might want to stay in the middle of Manhattan and get a taste of the city before your cruise. Hotel Pennsylvania -across from Madison. Square Garden is central, reasonable, and clean.

Parking is another problem - nothing cheap in the city - if that is a major concern, try a motel in New Jersey which might give reasonable rates. Rather than drive to NY and have the expense of parking, you might think of plane or train.

I never book a non-cancellable rate. I usually book so far in advance and I'm just paranoid enough to want to have the flexibility to change/cancel if my plans change. I did have to do this with a college tour trip I had planned with my oldest son. If I hadn't booked cancellable rates, I could have ended up paying $500+ for a week long trip that didn't happen.

Edited by olemissreb

If you can get past staying at a Super 8, there's a Super 8 in Brooklyn not far from Park Slope (good restaurants), maybe 4 or 5 years old at this point. They have a few parking spaces adjacent to the hotel - possibly even free parking according to guest reviews (I have no idea how they allocate the spaces among the guests...). Rooms are a little small even by NYC standards (maybe even by QM2 standards :) ) but prices are low - generally under $150 if you reserve a bit in advance (cancellable). We stayed there in 2011 before our TA and again when passing through NY on the way home.

Edited by Underwatr

Navybankerteacher-thank you for the suggestion-will try staying with friends in NJ and have them take us to the port-would make life easier. I use to go to school in B'klyn but was never at the port and worked in NY.

Ok. Some more great suggestions. I will not book a non refundable hotel. I will book room with cancellation policy. Now back to looking for best price. Thanks to all who've chimed in. You have been a wealth of information

Interesting posts. We essentially shop around as the industry is not one size fits all. In some cases we have big on Priceline (using biddinfortravel.com as an aid) and have scored amazing deals that have sometimes put us in 4 and 5 Star Hotels for 30-50% off the lowest price found on the hotel site (hotel low price guarantees do not include bidding sites in their guarantee). Other times we book direct with a hotel and sometimes use Orbitz, Booking.com, or Expedia depending on who has the best deal. In Europe we often use Venere.com which often has lower prices then the direct hotel site. We no longer rely on toll free numbers since using online means we have print outs to verify everything. Sites like Tripadvisor also let you see price comparisons on multiple sites. And by the way, our best deal (ever) was when we got a room at the Caribe Hilton (San Juan) for about $45. When we checked-in they gave us a free upgrade to Ocean/Beach view. The Hotels own web site had the same room for over $200.

Although we really do not worry too much about deals if it is a 1 or 2 night stay, we are currently spending a month driving around France where saving $20+ a night adds up to real money.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have been very successful with several Priceline bids/wins in London-including Heathrow and Gatwick, and Paris-including CDG over the years.

Nothing elsewhere in Europe except for our last bid in Milan. Last year we got three wonderful days in the Milan Westin Palace for an $89. Priceline bid. They gave us a suite in this beautiful hotel. It was wonderful. I am certain that this will never happen again-pure fluke.

For small hotels, especially in Italy, we approach the desk with our credit card in hand. We then ask if there is a discount for cash. We frequently get a ten percent discount just for asking and paying in cash. When we are travelling for a 6 weeks or so these discounts can really add up, even when you factor in bank ATM/conversion fees. We also use a credit card that does not charge the standard 2.5 percent fx fee. Edited by iancal

[quote name='cb at sea']I usually call the hotel directly, after researching online. The reservation clerks have some leeway on pricing...so ask for any "specials"![/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true. Where I work, I have NO leeway. I may ask if you have a Auto Club membership or live in state to see if I can give those discounts. But, other than that, no discretion.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from using the 3rd party or bidding sites. Just be sure to do your due diligence and double-check your reservation with the hotel directly, either via email or phone. It saves everyone unnecessary heartburn. Edited by slidergirl

If we have a cancelable reservation (by 6PM that day), and IF we arrive earlier we usually ask the desk what the 'walk in' rate for that day is. Once in a while the walk in rate is less than our reservation rate so of course we switch.

You need to ask about the walk in rate PRIOR to announcing that you have a reservation. And you do not have to cancel the reservation at the desk...you can do it on line in you hotel room.

This was certainly true in the past for the Hilton beside FCO airport. They often had a walk in rate of 89 or 99E, and once in a while they had a banner up to advertise it. Not certain if this is still the case. Guess it really depends on supply/demand.

We also found that close to the arrival date, we sometimes get a better price by calling the hotel front desk vs. using the reservation service of the hotel chains.

I took my spouse on one of my last business trips. We checked in, no reservation, just before midnight. The desk clerk says the suite is $139. I tell him that this is above my firms guideline rate for the area. Without blinking the clerk reduced the rate to $99. and sent coffee to the room. I would have paid the $139. if required. Edited by iancal

Again I have to thank everyone for the great tips. I am sorting all this info out.
1. Walk up rate
2. Will I get a discount if I pay cash
3. Do you offer AAA, AARP, Military, etc discount
4. Don't use a credit card overseas that charges exchange rate.

Keep the tips coming. I'm taking it all in. Edited by AF-1

AF-1....

two final questions for the front desk:

1. Is this your best rate?

2. Ask for an upgrade, not that way but perhaps ask if they have a room with a sea view, etc. We have been upgraded to some very nice rooms simply by asking.

In Crete, we asked and found that we were able to move from a room with a garden view to larger room with a sea/harbour view for 4E night. It made our 7 night stay so much more enjoyable. Edited by iancal

[quote name='iancal']AF-1....

two final questions for the front desk:

1. Is this your best rate?

2. Ask for an upgrade, not that way but perhaps ask if they have a room with a sea view, etc. We have been upgraded to some very nice rooms simply by asking.

In Crete, we asked and found that we were able to move from a room with a garden view to larger room with a sea/harbour view for 4E night. It made our 7 night stay so much more enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

ok, I like your thinking?

another thing to add:

Call the hotel between 9am-5pm (THEIR TIME) Mon-Fri. For the larger hotel chains, it isn't the Front Desk that has the ability to change your rate, but it is the in-house reservations team. Yes, many places, the Front Desk is there to just check you in/check you out. They can't change your rates… If you try to call in the evening or weekend, you will most likely be transferred to that chain's Central Reservations center…

That is the way both of my hotels have worked. And they have been members of well-known luxury chains.

I'll book directly on the hotel website. I might use the online travel sites to research info about hotels, but many of them have restrictions about cancelling while many hotels will allow you to cancel even the night before without any charge.

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Chick;42996797]I'll book directly on the hotel website. I might use the online travel sites to research info about hotels, but many of them have restrictions about cancelling while many hotels will allow you to cancel even the night before without any charge.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the feedback