Hurricane cruising/October

cruzinlisa

So DH, I and DD booked a cruise in mid October, which was a great deal. Of course I am aware that its still hurricane season. Not being from the coast and not vacationing to coastal areas that time of year, I have not really paid that much attention to when hurricanes, happen, unless they are so all over the news that I can't miss it like Katrina or that one a few years ago by New York (Sandy maybe). So I am not sure if mid October is still strong storm time or not.

I realize that we may end up going somewhere else than planned or on a cruise to nowhere. I am cool with that. Progresso is not that appealing anyway and I have been to Cozumel many times (and sure I will many more). I am aware that NOLA could have a hurricane which could result in me not being able to leave. I know that our cruise could get shortened, lengthened, or come back to a different port. So what else should I be prepared for?

Also, I am prone to sea sickness. I take medicine and I am fine. I assume the water could be rougher than normal. Is that right? Should I worry about DD (3). I heard that small kids don't have as much trouble because they have big wobbly heads and equilibrium is off normally, but I am not sure if she is past that stage or not. This will be her 3rd cruise and I am not sure if motion sickness is an issue. She did not throw up, as I am sure many of you are aware, small children often manifest their illness with being a pain in the you know what, which can also be normal 2-3 year old behavior. :D

Finally, I am guessing travel insurance is important, but does it cover hurricane related delays, trip interruption, etc?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You should be fine. Technically hurricane season doesn't end until November but an October hurricane would be very rare. August and September tends to be the heaviest time for hurricanes. It is also when the cruise lines tend to have the lowest rates.

Thanks to both of you. I seem to remember hurricanes being a bigger thing in August and September, but since I live in Missouri which is pretty far from the ocean, hurricanes are not really a concern of mine most of the time.

We prefer cruising in the late fall or winter, have had our share of big waves, but the captain is very good at sailing around a storm if he can.

That said, I hope you don't miss Progresso, we went to Uxmal from there and it was one of the most spectacular places I have ever seen. Not only that, but seeing the Mayan ruins regenerated a love for traveling in my DH. Turns out he is not that fond of beaches since he was diagnosed with skin cancer.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

If there is no storm nearby, the seas won't be any worse (or better) than any other time! Certainly, other factors besides hurricanes or tropical storms affect the seas!

Come prepared with motion medication, if you feel you'll need it. Your little one will most likely be just fine....but talk to her pediatrician....just in case! You will need to bring "child" medications with you, as the ship doesn't sell them....so bring (for her) whatever you think you'll need. Tylenol, cold meds, sunscreen, etc....anything child-specific!

If you look at the statistics, October actually is a very active month for Hurricanes and tropical storms. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Living in Florida, I would not lose sleep over the hurricanes, whether it be October or September or whenever. I can assure you that the ship will not sail into one, and will do all to avoid one.

Hurricane season is our favorite time of the year to cruise. If you are worried about motion, pick a cabin on a low deck mid ship. We used a product call Motion Eaze when our GD was little. A dab behind her ear and her motion sickness went away. It's sold on Amazon and at Walmart.

If you look at the statistics, October actually is a very active month for Hurricanes and tropical storms. :rolleyes:

LuLu

11 hurricanes hit land from 1950 to 2009.. Not sure I would classify that as very active. Either way, its not like they pop up on you, if there is a storm there will be plenty of time for adjustments.

11 hurricanes hit land from 1950 to 2009.. Not sure I would classify that as very active. Either way, its not like they pop up on you, if there is a storm there will be plenty of time for adjustments.

Is that any land? Or just the U.S.?

Having lived on the Gulf Coast (Houston) for 40 years, I would be very surprised to see hurricane activity in October - especially in the gulf. Don't worry about, go and have a good time.

Having lived on the Gulf Coast (Houston) for 40 years, I would be very surprised to see hurricane activity in October - especially in the gulf. Don't worry about, go and have a good time.

This is a good point. In the later months of hurricane season there is less tropical storm developement in the Gulf of Mexico. That makes Western Caribbean itineraries less likey to encounter a storm. Conversely the Eastern Caribbean is usually more active late in hurricane season.

We cruised in August 2010. Got married on HalfMoon Cay. It was a definite roll of the dice during that month to make it to that island during hurricane season but it worked out for us. Seas were deadly calm, not a ripple to be seen on the five day cruise, almost erie. A week after we got off the ship Hurricane Earl came barreling through though.

Here's some stats from NOAA if anyone's curious.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E17.html

Thanks for posting the link. Anyone who thinks October is not still big time hurricane season should take a look. September is the worst with August and October being next (October is only slightly behind August. :rolleyes:)

LuLu

As I mentioned in our Roll Call, this October will be my 9th October cruise, sailing from New Orleans or Mobile to Cozumel and Progreso. Three years ago, we sailed around a hurricane, missing both Mexico ports and substituting Key West. The weather was some of the best of all the cruises, not too hot, beautiful sunshiny cruise days and Key West was gorgeous with bright sunshine.

Last year, we ended up with a three night cruise to nowhere instead of our scheduled 5 night cruise because the authorities closed the Mississippi River due to impending Hurricane Karen, I think it was. We were packed and ready to roll when we got the word so me and my nine other girlfriends drove/flew to Nawlins and rented a lovely house Uptown for two nights. The "hurricane" turned into a 20 minute thunderstorm which we all enjoyed from our front porch while sipping Cosmopolitans. The weather on the 3 night cruise? Simply perfect.

The first couple of cruises, we would book at the end of the month...the "end" of hurricane season, so we thought...but 2 of 3 of those cruises were chilly and windy and cold and rainy. We now go closet to the first of October as we can.

A couple of early cruises we had some "rough" seas....but out of 8, none have been a complete bust or reschedule.

As for your 3 year old, take meds just in case but she should be fine. Those prone to seasickness in my group swear by the patch but so far I've done just fine with some ginger pills when the seas were choppy.

I love October cruises from New Orleans. Not a lot of kids or teens (not that that's a BAD thing :D), GREAT prices and overall beautiful weather.

That said "you pay your money, you take your chances". You can't predict or control the weather.

Thanks for posting the link. Anyone who thinks October is not still big time hurricane season should take a look. September is the worst with August and October being next (October is only slightly behind August. :rolleyes:)

LuLu

Once again, that data does not show the October as being very active... It is a world wide listing so that means there have only been 198 hurricanes over 162 years.

Since that link is giving numbers of worldwide tropical systems recorded lets break it down some more.... Of those 198 hurricanes only 51 hit the US, but the other person isn't going to be in the US so I will break the numbers down as best as we can with the site given in the link you quoted.

In that 162 year period 13 hurricanes hit gulf coast states, and 10 of those 13 hit Florida. Part of those 10 I am sure hit the Atlantic coast so lets give 7 to the gulf coast. That leaves us with 10 gulf coast hurricanes over 162 years... none of which were west of Louisiana.

So I guess if you want to consider a hurricane every 16.2 years very active then you are right.

We've cruised very late Sept. twice and October twice, maybe more.

We've only had a slight problem once - In October 2012, we flew to Ft. Lauderdale for a Freedom cruise. I think it was "Sandy" at that time who had just passed by and was moving north along the coast. The day we boarded was still slightly windy with high waves, but nothing too terrible.

When we cruised from Baltimore in October 2013, it was much colder than what I would have wanted. But, there really is not much anyone can do about the weather. You have to take whatever it is.

I will not stop cruising in October. I really like cruising then. :)