China Eastern Airlines

TEACH6868

I was wondering if anyone has used China Eastern Airlines. We are considering taking this airline when we leave Shanghai. We need to fly into Rome for another cruise and the price seems reasonable. Any info on this airlines would be helpful.

Thanks!

Used them last fall, they were very reasonable.

We flew Bangkok to Vancouver and the food was very good but the in flight movies and TV sets did not function so great for a 16 hour flight.

Other then that no issues we would fly them again. We flew economy and they served free wine and soft drinks on our flight

We had a Macbook air 11" but we could only squeeze 4.5 hours of movies out of it.

They had no charging outlets on the plane.

Edited by baldercash

I suspect the hosts will move this thread to the Air board

I have flown several times on them domestically China Eastern, Western, Northern and Southern are all government controlled. Typical Chinese bureaucratic efficiency service ok, no frills and very strict on luggage and carryon weight

They would not be my first choice - but if the price was very right I would consider

If your TA can offer you Turkish Airlines with one change of flights in Istanbul, consider them. As far as I know Shanghai currently is also one of their routes offering Premium Eco class and if the upsell is affordable, this might well be worth it. Usually they have very good pricing on Asia to Europe routes. And service and comfort are way above China Eastern. Also they belong to Star Alliance so you could get miles on UA.

Edited by Ralfkrippner

Contrary to what the poster a few above says there are only 3 main Chinese Airlines.

Air China

China Southern

China Eastern.

I have flown each of them many times from Australia to China as well as domestically in China.

I am price conscious and at least one of them are always the cheapest option for my flights. There is very little between them and all are fine for their cost. Most of their planes are reasonably new, the food is the usual airline quality (crap) and they offer free (warmish) beer and wine as well as other juices and soft drinks etc. In flight entertainment varies depending on the age of the aircraft. Service staff speak reasonable English.

Also despite what a previous poster also said they have been quite liberal in their carry on baggage allowance. In fact that may be one of the downsides as the locals like to carry on plenty of extras.

Contrary to what the poster a few above says there are only 3 main Chinese Airlines.

Air China

China Southern

China Eastern.

I believe there are actually 4 main Chinese Airlines.

Air China

China Southern

China Eastern

China Airlines

China Airlines operate both within China and internationally to Asia, Australia/NZ, Europe and the USA

Air China

China Southern

China Eastern

China Airlines

China Airlines operate both within China and internationally to Asia, Australia/NZ, Europe and the USA

I will bet you one of our "free" beverages on the Solstice that there are only 3 Ando. LOL (although if I lose you will have to settle for something from the classic package)

Unless you are actually Chinese and believe that Taiwan is still part on China. :p

Edited by woodyren

Air China

China Southern

China Eastern

China Airlines

China Airlines is from Taiwan, not China. Rather different. China Airlines doesn't operate "within China" although there are flights to Hong Kong and other Chinese cities from or via Taipei.

Air China

China Southern

China Eastern

China Airlines

You could cause a diplomatic incident by lumping China Airlines together with the other three.

Alternatively, if you're taking this approach, you're forgetting Cathay Pacific, which would certainly have a claim to be on a list of "main Chinese airlines" made on this basis. And it's a better airline than any of the others.

I will bet you one of our "free" beverages on the Solstice that there are only 3 Ando. LOL (although if I lose you will have to settle for something from the classic package)

Unless you are actually Chinese and believe that Taiwan is still part on China. :p

According to the One China Policy of the US and many (actually most) countries in the world, there is still "One China, and Taiwan is part of it".

The Republic of China (Taiwan) is only officially recognized by 22 countries in the world, and this has actually dropped over the last 25 years.

Skytrax has passenger reviews from all major airlines around the world.

Here is a link to reviews on China Eastern Airlines.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/c_eastrn.htm

Amongst those of us who practically live on airplanes, Skytrax is pretty much considered a joke. It's long been established that they get bribed and bought out by airlines, resulting in higher rankings than are justified. I would never rely on Skytrax for much of anything.

Have flown on China Eastern....quite acceptable flight. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, especially as there is often some good SkyPesos redemption availability.

And I will second Zach on Skytrax. When there is only one "One Star" airline in the whole world, how can it have true relevance? Of course, since that's Air Koryo, that rating is probably deserved.

Have flown on China Eastern....quite acceptable flight. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, especially as there is often some good SkyPesos redemption availability.

And I will second Zach on Skytrax. When there is only one "One Star" airline in the whole world, how can it have true relevance? Of course, since that's Air Koryo, that rating is probably deserved.

I've seen several trip reports on Air Koryo and spoken to a couple of people who did organized tours of the DPRK and took Air Koryo on the PEK-FNJ-PEK leg, as well as a domestic roundtrip. They said it's not too bad at all, and looking at the list of 2-star airlines, it's definitely better than, or at least the same as, some of them.

My wife and I flew China Eastern long haul very early last year. I have to say our experience was one of the best at least for business class (and that includes KLM which we fly a lot of as well as BA, NZ, QF, CX, AF not to mention DL/NW, US, AA, UA/CO). What you experience in the back will probably differ significantly.

You could cause a diplomatic incident by lumping China Airlines together with the other three.

Alternatively, if you're taking this approach, you're forgetting Cathay Pacific, which would certainly have a claim to be on a list of "main Chinese airlines" made on this basis. And it's a better airline than any of the others.

According to the One China Policy of the US and many (actually most) countries in the world, there is still "One China, and Taiwan is part of it".

The Republic of China (Taiwan) is only officially recognized by 22 countries in the world, and this has actually dropped over the last 25 years.

I was clearly referring to Zach1213's political status of Taiwan when I made my comment lol

Seriously though, I had no idea China Airlines was from Taiwan nor was I aware of the controversy over the ROC/PRC/Taiwan status. I flew them Beijing to Taipei and incorrectly assumed it was a Chinese airline - not sure what made me think that...the name maybe? :rolleyes:

I'll buy you that free drink Woody - one from the premium package ;)

Cheers

Ando

I'll buy you that free drink Woody - one from the premium package ;)

Cheers

Ando

Assuming you are from the north side of the border Ando so we could always go double or nothing on origin II.

Flipper might even want a piece of this free drinks betting action.

This brings up a point of law. Is it against Celebrity's rules for a person who has a beverage package to shout someone else who also has a beverage package a drink? :confused: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I had no idea China Airlines was from Taiwan nor was I aware of the controversy over the ROC/PRC/Taiwan status. I flew them Beijing to Taipei and incorrectly assumed it was a Chinese airline - not sure what made me think that...the name maybe? :rolleyes:

Ando

Diplomatic treatment of China and Taiwan is very complex, and I'm sure my knowledge is extremely shallow. The US recognizes PRC (and not Taiwan); of course we have unofficial (but thriving) diplomatic relations with Taiwan. Despite the "one China" policy, the US does not recognize Taiwan as part of PRC. I think the official Australian policy is very similar.

That said, best to regard Taiwan as a sovereign nation when traveling there...commenting or considering them "China" isn't a good way to win friends :) BTW, the best display of Chinese antiquities is at the National Palace Museum in Taipei. Many artifacts were brought to Taiwan from mainland China, and a lot of what remained behind was destroyed. On the other side, the Great Hall of the People in Beijing has a room for each province, including Taiwan.