Moving from HAL to Oceania... Or?

MrOZ

It's all been said. And probably decided by the OP. But I have to chime in. We were Celebrity suite fans for years. Tried a HAL 7-day cruise in a Neptune suite. Liked the size of the suite and the huge verandah. Found the food very average. Nothing about the cruise shouted "come back". Then we tried our first Oceania on the new Riviera a year ago. Wow! Best food, service, crew attitude and bedding we've ever had. So we booked the T/A this past April for another two weeks on Riviera. Love the ship, food, crew, bedding and our Penthouse. Now we have booked Marina for Tahiti to Lima next April. Big negative would be their outrageously expensive excursions and transfers etc. Internet and drinks are pretty hefty too. But, we just can't seem to get away from Oceania now because it really is a big step up in the areas that count to us. I'll toss in one more plus - you never have to put on a tux or gown!

If you read previous cruise posts for this itinerary you will be able to get good info for private excursions and transfers at far less than the cost of O tours. Book your tours early, few tours ask for deposits. Try a precruise stay in Moorea to relax prior to your cruise. By joining your RollCall you can share tours, and use your points for your Hotel stay. Don't forget you can bring liquor on board which can save you the drink package. No need to spend more than you have too;)

If you read previous cruise posts for this itinerary you will be able to get good info for private excursions and transfers at far less than the cost of O tours. Book your tours early, few tours ask for deposits. Try a precruise stay in Moorea to relax prior to your cruise. By joining your RollCall you can share tours, and use your points for your Hotel stay. Don't forget you can bring liquor on board which can save you the drink package. No need to spend more than you have too;)

Actually, comparing apples to apples, a Penthouse Suite on Oceania would rightfully be compared to an SS Suite on Holland America, while the full S Suite would translate into an Oceania or Vista Suite.

For us, however, the deciding factor was that Holland America distributes the Suite amenities by making them available in the Neptune Lounge, whereas on Oceania, all Suite Passengers have a Butler who brings the amenities to them !

We're still not fully decided (so expensive!), but I think our next cruise will be Oceania. Thanks, all, for the advice.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

While expensive We love the PH3 suite. We downsized our recent NY- LON (due to unavailability and perhaps expense) and we certainly missed "our" PH3. You mentioned how you like to spend time in your room. I think this would be ideal for you as the size is right and you can dine in room from the specialty restaurants served by your butler. I think Oceania May be what you are looking for.

I posted a version of this that apparently ran afoul of the rules. My apologies! I believe this version eliminates the things that were a problem.

OP here. So we think we've decided that the August cruises we were looking at were more than we wanted to do, but that celebrating a September anniversary in January is fine. Accordingly, we're seriously considering the Jan. 4 Papeete-Papeete 10 day, and we'll book a PH.

A few more questions, if y'all don't mind extending your kindness a bit more:

1) Has anyone done this itinerary before? Is there anything we ought to know? Are the crossings generally relatively smooth, or are we looking at a high probability of seasickness?

2) The agents I've looked at seem to offer SBC (I presume Oceania doesn't allow discounts). If we have SBC leftover, is that refunded, or do we need to be sure to spend it all?

3) Anything else we should know before pulling the trigger on what is, for us, a fairly expensive trip?

Thanks!

I posted a version of this that apparently ran afoul of the rules. My apologies! I believe this version eliminates the things that were a problem.

OP here. So we think we've decided that the August cruises we were looking at were more than we wanted to do, but that celebrating a September anniversary in January is fine. Accordingly, we're seriously considering the Jan. 4 Papeete-Papeete 10 day, and we'll book a PH.

A few more questions, if y'all don't mind extending your kindness a bit more:

1) Has anyone done this itinerary before? Is there anything we ought to know? Are the crossings generally relatively smooth, or are we looking at a high probability of seasickness?

2) The agents I've looked at seem to offer SBC (I presume Oceania doesn't allow discounts). If we have SBC leftover, is that refunded, or do we need to be sure to spend it all?

3) Anything else we should know before pulling the trigger on what is, for us, a fairly expensive trip?

Thanks!

We have been sailing Holland America over 30 years; just completed a cruise to the South Pacific and just passed over 500 days at sea with HAL. This will probably be our last cruise on HAL since we discovered Oceania one year ago. For us there is no comparison; Oceania far exceeds what we would expect from a cruise line.

We have sailed the South Pacific five times and never experienced very rough seas and have never experienced seasickness.

The South Pacific cruise is amazing, especially if you like sailing, snorkeling or any other type of water sport.

On our last Oceania cruise in March to the Caribbean we were actual given cash from Oceania for unused cabin credits from our TA.

Oceania is worth the price !!!!

PS: We are returning to Papeete on 04/04/15 to sail on the Marina for 33 days to New York City

Thanks!

It will depend on where the OBC comes from

If from your TA via Oceania or directly from Oceania it is use it or lose situation

If your TA puts cash on your account you will more than likely get the refund of unused credits

Check with your TA when booking

Shop around

Edited by LHT28

After looking around, we've decided to book the Marina on the Jan. 4 sailing from Tahiti. Thanks, all, for the advice, and perhaps we'll meet some of you onboard. (I'm going to start a Roll Call since there doesn't appear to be one yet.)

Thanks again!

MrO, see you have decided. Comparing O to Hal is like comparing Celebrity to CCL. Anyhow, take a look at an excellent blog -the preismans.com. Wonderful visuals of everything Oceania and other cruises they have done.

Got it now, thanks! Apparently, the search tool isn't quite perfect, though I admit user error could be a factor. Thanks again!

I think it is the search tool ..I just scroll the list

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

We are another couple who became dissatisfied with HAL and gave O a try last January. We were very happy with O, head and shoulders above HAL. It is more expensive, contrary to what has been posted above, so each has to decide whether the extra $ is worth what you get. In my book, it is, and we have booked another O cruise for next year. I don't even look at HAL's junk mail any more.

However, it's not all roses. The biggest problem with O in my book is the "free" airfare, which of course is not free at all. "Included whether you want it or not" would be a better descriptor. The problems are these:

1. If you opt out, they will give you a credit, but the amount doesn't reflect the true value of the airfare;

2. If you stay in, you have zero flexibility with respect to the travel arrangements. You get whatever cheap crap deal O can negotiate with the airlines;

3. If you ask for a deviation, you get whacked for a $300 deviation fee, plus whatever upcharge O decides they can get away with.

The on board experience is first class, but this negative option airfare is a sticking point with me. I much prefer the opt in arrangement used by other cruise lines, as opposed to the opt out arrangement used by O. Others will disagree, I'm sure, but we each have our own likes and dislikes.

Bottom line: I expect you will be pleased with O, but don't expect the overall cost to be the same or less than HAL.

While the airfare credit usually is deficient , for my current cruise I was able to get airfare for less than the credit I took. Phx to yvr. Sea to Phx

This does not usually work for flights to Europe and Asia.

Also o waives the deviation fee for loyal customers. I believe it is after 10 cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are another couple who became dissatisfied with HAL and gave O a try last January. We were very happy with O, head and shoulders above HAL. It is more expensive, contrary to what has been posted above, so each has to decide whether the extra $ is worth what you get. In my book, it is, and we have booked another O cruise for next year. I don't even look at HAL's junk mail any more.

However, it's not all roses. The biggest problem with O in my book is the "free" airfare, which of course is not free at all. "Included whether you want it or not" would be a better descriptor. The problems are these:

1. If you opt out, they will give you a credit, but the amount doesn't reflect the true value of the airfare;

2. If you stay in, you have zero flexibility with respect to the travel arrangements. You get whatever cheap crap deal O can negotiate with the airlines;

3. If you ask for a deviation, you get whacked for a $300 deviation fee, plus whatever upcharge O decides they can get away with.

The on board experience is first class, but this negative option airfare is a sticking point with me. I much prefer the opt in arrangement used by other cruise lines, as opposed to the opt out arrangement used by O. Others will disagree, I'm sure, but we each have our own likes and dislikes.

Bottom line: I expect you will be pleased with O, but don't expect the overall cost to be the same or less than HAL.

As much as we, too, have fallen in love with O, you bring up excellent points. We live 22 minutes (over back roads no less) from Hartford/Bradley airport, but have to slog to Boston and all its nightmarish traffic to suit O's air arrangements. I can understand this to a degree for international flights, say, meeting one's cruise in Dubai -- but to get to Miami? For us that means not only the burden of the drive, but the cost of a hotel room the night before. I think I saw that O was expanding its "gateway" cities for some selected cruises, but more air flexibility and more reasonable deviation fees would be nice.

One point, it might have been a while since you cruised with O. The air deviation is $175 per person, $350 total.

For our upcoming cruise in Aug even with adding the deviation fee in and the charge for a non included gateway there is no way I could have flown from our local airport to VCE then back home from FCO for the amount of the air credit. This might have been your point, but I consider it a positive, not a negative as I'm okay with the cost of the cruise with the flight included.

Sometimes you just have to look at the total picture, figure what you're getting and what the cost per day is. For us it's good. Other people have their way of looking at costs and doing math.

I do not know how they come to a figure for the air credit but I do not see why people think they are going to get the same amount of cash back to cover the airfare you book direct with the airlines

Most cruise lines, conventions etc...work a deal with the airlines for a discount fares (bulk tickets) they are certainly not paying the fares you see when looking at the airline websites

The fares are more restrictive so less $

I have used O air several times & even flying to MIA I cannot get it any cheaper even with the deviation fee so for me it works

It is a personal choice whether to use the included air or not you have to weigh YOUR options then decide

JMO

Lyn

As much as we, too, have fallen in love with O, you bring up excellent points. We live 22 minutes (over back roads no less) from Hartford/Bradley airport, but have to slog to Boston and all its nightmarish traffic to suit O's air arrangements.

Ever considered the idea of flying from your local airport to an O gateway or even better direct to MIA booking your own flights?

In the USA it appears you can get cheap flights just depends on how many connections you are willing to endure

Edited by LHT28

Another vote for Oceania over HAL. The decline in food quality and the general cost-cutting caused us to leave HAL three years ago. Oceania offers truly excellent food, attentive service and generally a most pleasant experience. My only advice is to book a Penthouse level stateroom or above, even on the larger ships, because the space is very cramped in the entry-level staterooms. We also sail with Regent, Cunard and Silversea, which we feel offer excellent quality.

On our first Oceania cruise on the Marina, we learned there were over 1,000 repeat passengers, a vote for quality indeed.

I do not know how they come to a figure for the air credit but I do not see why people think they are going to get the same amount of cash back to cover the airfare you book direct with the airlines

Most cruise lines, conventions etc...work a deal with the airlines for a discount fares (bulk tickets) they are certainly not paying the fares you see when looking at the airline websites

The fares are more restrictive so less $

I have used O air several times & even flying to MIA I cannot get it any cheaper even with the deviation fee so for me it works

It is a personal choice whether to use the included air or not you have to weigh YOUR options then decide

JMO

Lyn

I'm not expecting a credit equal to what I would have to pay myself. I am expecting them to be reasonable in relation to the amount they have embedded in the cruise fare. The credit I was offered in January was barely enough to cover the taxes and fees, which means not much of the actual air fare component was included in the credit. Note that the taxes and fees are the same, whether they're paid by O or I buy my own ticket.

I'm not expecting a credit equal to what I would have to pay myself. I am expecting them to be reasonable in relation to the amount they have embedded in the cruise fare. The credit I was offered in January was barely enough to cover the taxes and fees, which means not much of the actual air fare component was included in the credit. Note that the taxes and fees are the same, whether they're paid by O or I buy my own ticket.

as I said I have no idea how they work out the credit amount

On some routes we just take the air with a deviation ..works out better for us

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

I must admit that when I boarded the Regatta a few years ago and went to our cabin, I thought 'ooooh nooooo! such a small cabin (standard veranda)'. But as the cruise went on, I became comfortable with its size. Just didn't expect it. Since that sailing, have sailed on two other R ships, both on Azamara, once in the PH and another in the A veranda. Kinda gotten used to the smaller size, I guess, since in Sept we will be on Insignia in an A again..... . But --- I do miss the extra space, truth be told.