Lido buffet

Mandy

What type of items are available for dinner in the buffet? We will skip the dining room on occasion. On Princess, I was surprised the dinner buffet had many of the same options being served in the dining room.

First HAL cruise, on the Westerdam coming this fall.

You will find that the Lido buffet will have some of the same foods that you would see on the MDR menu, and many other things as well. There is a salad bar, usually a soup or two, meat carving area - maybe beef, lamb, turkey or pork. There will usually be a fish choice on the buffet and usually a chicken. Several different vegetable choices, and rice , potatoes, pastas, etc etc. In short, there will be lots of choices. We always have the problem of wanting to try more than our tummies will fit.

We almost always eat in the Lido…appreciate that we can see what we want right there…sometimes change our minds because of what we see. The food is about 90% the same as in the MDR (if you look at the menu). In our opinion, it's fresher since it hasn't been sitting on the steam tables back in the K like some DR stuff is. The beef is carved right then and you can see the piece you're getting, etc. I also prefer making up my own salad, etc.

We also prefer it since we don't' like waiting around for our food. We've found our servers in the Lido to be more friendly and helpful than the DR staff. Our MDR experiences have been less than great compared with the Lido on many of our cruises, so you'll find us there.

We are frequent users of the Lido buffet in the evening. You will get many of the same menu items as the MDR. The appetizers will usually be the same. The soups are usually the same, but the French Onion Soup is not served in the Lido. You can order a grilled steak, and if you ask for it "rare", they will cook for you as you watch. Since the Lido steaks are not very thick, the steak usually comes out "medium rare". However, the meat has not been under a heat lamp or on the steam table.

Enjoy

We agree with many of the previous posters. You will find many of the same items served in the MDR also being served in the Lido. There are lots of appetizers to try, soups and salads. Lots of bread options so you can pick whatever type you prefer. There are usually 5-6 entrees and lots of desserts, although, HAL isn't know for its great desserts.

We also prefer the Lido over the MDR. We have found the hot food hot and the cold items cold in the Lido. We don't mind serving ourselves and get into a rhythm quite quickly. We also find the noise level to be considerably less in the Lido than in the MDR. There are lots of little corners where you can easily get away from the main diners.

The staff, for the most part, are fairly quick to clear your table for you and are very friendly.

What I don't like are the small water glasses and the fact that it feels like someone else will take your table the minute you leave it. I have to figure out a quick and easy way to show that the table is occupied.

What I don't like are the small water glasses and the fact that it feels like someone else will take your table the minute you leave it. I have to figure out a quick and easy way to show that the table is occupied.

Maybe there should be a bright red CC chair placard that says - refilling my plate - BRB!

Hi !

Just like that, you can also ask the same menu (as the Lido) in your cabin. And ask for a linen table. Holland America try to please/accommodate every PAX on the ship.

Enjoy your first try with HA. Smooth Sailings !

Holacanada from Quebec City.

Be a part as the Veendam sail away from my hometown in 29 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes and… 12 seconds..!

Edited by holacanada

We agree with many of the previous posters. You will find many of the same items served in the MDR also being served in the Lido. There are lots of appetizers to try, soups and salads. Lots of bread options so you can pick whatever type you prefer. There are usually 5-6 entrees and lots of desserts, although, HAL isn't know for its great desserts.

We also prefer the Lido over the MDR. We have found the hot food hot and the cold items cold in the Lido. We don't mind serving ourselves and get into a rhythm quite quickly. We also find the noise level to be considerably less in the Lido than in the MDR. There are lots of little corners where you can easily get away from the main diners.

The staff, for the most part, are fairly quick to clear your table for you and are very friendly.

While I read most books on my Kindle, on each cruise I bring a hardcover book with me to the Lido and leave it on the table. Never had a problem with losing the table that way. And we eat almost all our meals in the Lido.

If you tilt your chair against the table, that is a sign to the staff that you will be back.

forgot that trick - we used to do it at the military functions when seating was not assigned and we wanted to be near the door or the bar!

Just like that, you can also ask the same menu (as the Lido) in your cabin. And ask for a linen table. Holland America try to please/accommodate every PAX on the ship.

What do you mean by asking for a linen table?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you tilt your chair against the table, that is a sign to the staff that you will be back.

That, and drape your napkin across the top of the chair.

Some newer stewards don't know the chair signal, though, but those stewards typically know the napkin signal.

Chairs on some ships (the Oosterdam is an example) have a 5-footed chair, and can't be tipped. Drape the napkin in that case.

If I've spent the morning in a swimsuit, I don't want to shower and dress to go to MDR for lunch and then go change back into my swimsuit after lunch. A 'pool day' calls for Lido lunch, for me. :)

If I've spent the morning in a swimsuit, I don't want to shower and dress to go to MDR for lunch and then go change back into my swimsuit after lunch. A 'pool day' calls for Lido lunch, for me. :)

I'd rather grab a quick hot dog or burger at the "Dive In".

I plan on taking advantage of all the dining options onboard. To me, it's fun checking out different options, even if I end up being underwhelmed with the experience.

For dinner we want to be served.:) For breakfast and lunch the Lido is good but we have found it to be hit or miss whether Gary will get any help. He uses a walker full time and trying to carry a plate, and/or a beverage is quite difficult.:eek: