Snobby Passengers??

I consider myself shy and reserved sometimes and can't say I have EVER gazed longingly at a larger table and been jealous.

I've sat at large tables and been embarrassed at the display some make of themselves, but I've never longed to join one.

A tad presumptuous to think you can read the minds of others don't you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tad arrogant on your part, don't cha think. What did I say? Did I say I was reading their mind? No, I said I have observed two different types of demeanor with tables of two. I perceived their feelings based on body language and other subtle indicators. Being a practicing Psychologist for 35 years I'm fairly good at reading both verbal and non verbal signals. Oh, also people reading into things from which they have no basis to do so. Sounds like you are a snob in a 12 step.

Edited by Redman1947

My point addressed those people who commented they are shy and reserved. Further, at large tables most people are good at including all in the conversation. I have seen many twosome fully engrossed in each other and oblivious to the goings around them. I have also seen many twosomes bored to tears with each other and look on enviously at the large tables laughing and having a great time.

Why are you spending so much time staring at what is going on at the other tables in the main dining room if large tables are as wonderful as you claim?

Tad arrogant on your part, don't cha think. What did I say? Did I say I was reading their mind? No, I said I have observed two different types of demeanor with tables of two. I perceived their feelings based on body language and other subtle indicators. Being a practicing Psychologist for 35 years I'm fairly good at reading both verbal and non verbal signals. Oh, also people reading into things from which they have no basis to do so. Sounds like you are a snob in a 12 step.

I'm going to ask my psychologist husband on our next cruise to look at all the tables of 8 and tell me who is happy. If there is anyone staring back at us I will know you are on the same cruise as us :D

My point addressed those people who commented they are shy and reserved. Further, at large tables most people are good at including all in the conversation. I have seen many twosome fully engrossed in each other and oblivious to the goings around them. I have also seen many twosomes bored to tears with each other and look on enviously at the large tables laughing and having a great time.

There are also those bored with the company on a large table too. I've seen them. And there are those who are on large tables staring at me!! :)

We've been on a few RCI cruises and have never ran into a snobby passenger.

One thing you don't want to do is judge RCI by some of the comments you read in this forum (see above);). Thankfully, they leave their crude comments and/or snobbiness at the keyboard before they board.

Have fun ... you'll love it.:D

Edited by CroozeAddict

As a practicing Psychologist you would think you would know that making assumptions does little more than give you the potential for looking for foolish.

And yes, I think it is VERY presumptuous of you to assume that if you see a couple looking at a table you can tell what they are thinking. Sure, you want to throw in your 'experience' and their body language, but the fact of the matter is you have NO real inkling (unless you know them personally) and if YOU are at said table, I suspect it was a bit of an ego thing.

"Oh, look at that poor two some over there, of course they want to be at OUR table." Yes?

And what is snobby about what I said? That you were making assumptions? Okie dokie...

I'm going to ask my psychologist husband on our next cruise to look at all the tables of 8 and tell me who is happy. If there is anyone staring back at us I will know you are on the same cruise as us :D

LOL...where is that like icon!

For the most part you won't find many snobs on any mass market cruise lines

although like anywhere there are bound to be a few jerks.

If you want to find them just let everyone around know you like Carnival . Ta Da - instant jerks ! :D

True. I know for a fact that the minute you mention Carnival, some automatically turn up their nose and they probably have never stepped foot on a CCL ship.

The only thing I noticed that when you sail on RCCL, you are sailing with others willing to invest a little more in their vacation. The one thing lacking is the FUN element. Service is a bit better, as is the entertainment.

Wondering where you get that service is better on RCI? I've sailed on RCI 3 times and platinum on CCL and gotta say I've had best service overall on Carnival. Every waiter and every room steward is different so you can't base it on one or two cruises.

But snobby? No one knows or is advertising what they normally sail unless you have a conversation with them. And you will find many that have sailed many lines. And you will find some that have only sailed RCCL, and have preconceived notions of other lines they haven't tried.

When we took our first RCCL cruise, I kinda bought into that I was stepping up to something, and came away finding it was just a step to the side. They are just as popular as they know what they are doing.

Overall, I think CCL is about the same as RCI in passengers. One thing I've noticed though is Carnival is more laid back about certain rules. They allow jeans in the dining room and RCI NEVER! RCI ships gotta admit are beautiful and elegant where some of CCL's decor leaves much to be desired. Other than that, they are pretty much the same in my experience.

Hi

I have learned that people often criticize in others what they most dislike about themselves. Don't listen to them. I'm sure there will be lots of nice folks on RC as on any cruise line.

I always go into new situations with an open mind. If I smile, people usually smile back. I am sure you will have a great time on your cruise. Best wishes!

I like the notion that RCI is a bit snobby, this may keep some riff raff carnival types off the ship.

This proves the OP's point. Some RCI cheerleaders are snobby. Avoid the word Carnival and if Danny is cruising with you, no harm cuz he'd never know you are a Carnival cruiser.:)

This proves the OP's point. Some RCI cheerleaders are snobby. Avoid the word Carnival and if Danny is cruising with you, no harm cuz he'd never know you are a Carnival cruiser.:)

you can spot them a mile away. shorts in the dinningroom, flower Hawaiian shirts, terrible table manners and mostly loud.

True. I know for a fact that the minute you mention Carnival, some automatically turn up their nose and they probably have never stepped foot on a CCL ship.

Overall, I think CCL is about the same as RCI in passengers. One thing I've noticed though is Carnival is more laid back about certain rules. They allow jeans in the dining room and RCI NEVER! RCI ships gotta admit are beautiful and elegant where some of CCL's decor leaves much to be desired. Other than that, they are pretty much the same in my experience.

The one we are sailing on is in January out of Port Canaveral. We are in Virginia, so it's going to be cold up here, chilly in Florida and maybe warm in the Caribbean. Gonna be fun to pack for this one!

Thanks for the heads up about jeans in the MDR. My husband won't wear them, and I usually wear a dress, but sometimes our younger boys might wear them with a polo shirt or a button up shirt.

This may be one of the most presumptuous posts I've ever read. More like ridiculous.

There are no more couples looking longingly at a large table than there are people from a large group looking longingly at a small table wishing they were there!

If you want to sit with a large group of people, you request to do just that. Most, if not all, tables for two are occupied by couples that specifically requested a table for two.

Perhaps the decibel level coming from a table of 8-10 was so high that the couple that chooses to spend an intimate dinner alone couldn't even hear what their spouse said so they looked over to see where all the noise was coming from.

I think it's great when tables get together and muck it up. But I guarantee, I'm not looking over longingly, wishing I was part of your group.

How silly.

I can't believe that! I've only been on 82 cruises with 83, 84 booked.

After reading the pages on this thread, I'm thinking they ought to do another movie sequel, "Nutty Professor III - The Klumps on Deck".

Seriously, on Royal, everybody was great, Carnival was equally great. Décor different, but all in all great. I couldn't care less what people think. You can't please everybody, and you'll go insane trying. How you dress and what stateroom does not make you who you are. But what comes out of your mouth (or keyboard) does. So hopefully everybody will just laugh at this thread and have a great cruise.

Danny Driscoll, I'll make sure to wear my Carnival Tee for you.

that is the difference, the laid back thing, that is what seperates those who prefer one line over the other,. we may come off as snobbs to those who cant be bothered to dress up or like the laid back feeling.

So dressing up equals snobby?

Not in my world...:confused:

There wear people in jeans and the shirts in the MDR on my RCCL cruise, they were not turned away.

Take a gander at some of the other boards. It's quite easy to are that many say this. Not sure why a simple question has you shaking your head...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Her post was a response to my post. So relax

They allow jeans in the dining room and RCI NEVER!

I wear jeans in both of their MDR's just not on Formal night.

Ive also have worn jeans on Princess, Celebrity and HAL:eek:.

that is the difference, the laid back thing, that is what seperates those who prefer one line over the other,. we may come off as snobbs to those who cant be bothered to dress up or like the laid back feeling.

LOL :D Oh that was you and your lovely wife in the elevator. <jk> :D

A few years ago on Grandeur, before the advent of MTD, we came back from a busy shore day and quickly cleaned up changed and stepped on the elevator to go down the dining room.

Us: I was wearing sandals, capris pants and a matching top. DH was wearing khakis and a polo shirt.

The couple on the elevator: Nylons and heels, sparkly top, wrap. He had a suit and tie on.

I said to her, "You look lovely. Oh shoot, it must be a smart casual evening. I must have missed it in the Compass"

She replied, huffy, "Well yes it is smart casual attire if you had bothered to read. I believe it was also on the announcement. "

We sort of thought it was funny. I didn't notice any meerkats, and our table mates didn't have a problem with it. Pretty much everyone looks appropriately dressed above the table top.

As much as I like a good dress code stream, snobs are not necessarily always in fancy clothes.

Just recently on Vision in Windjammer, snob was finishing lunch and waiter brought him his coffee, he asks waiter " do you have any real cream"

Waiter shows him some of the little half and half cup thingys and he says

"That's not real cream, see here it says artificial." Said with a real snobby attitude. So for the rest of the cruise we called him Mr. Cream.

So snobby can be reflected in not in what you wear, not in what you say but HOW you say it.

I wear jeans in both of their MDR's just not on Formal night.

Ive also have worn jeans on Princess, Celebrity and HAL:eek:.

Good to know. When I mentioned DH might wear jeans on the last cruise night in the MDR "casual night" some said it wasn't appropriate. I think kids wearing jeans is fine. I personally don't care what anyone wears.

you can spot them a mile away. shorts in the dinningroom, flower Hawaiian shirts, terrible table manners and mostly loud.

This is quite funny. I've got a friend (he's AZ ILLINI on CC & his DW is Sunny AZ Girl that is quite popular with her review threads on RCI boards) and he wears Hawaiian shirts every day. You see him on any RCI cruise wearing his Cargo shorts with flowered shirt. In fact, he's diamond status. Last month cruise I believe he took 18 Hawaiian shirts onboard with him. He had a whistle too so that counts as loud. He's not a Carnival cruiser.......he is diamond Royal.

Edited by AZ Karaoke Girl