Princess and solo cruisers.

KruzPrincess

Sorry, I hit 'send' accidentally as I was reading this interesting thread. I'm considering doing a single cruise to assist my Captains Circle status but I also commend people who do it all the time. If I like it I may just continue an do some myself as well as some with others. Great Inside Cabin tips too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I hit 'send' accidentally as I was reading this interesting thread. I'm considering doing a single cruise to assist my Captains Circle status but I also commend people who do it all the time. If I like it I may just continue an do some myself as well as some with others. Great Inside Cabin tips too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem, I think everyone has.

You can edit your post for 10 minutes by the way. ;)

I always leave the TV on the channel that shows the outside camera. That way I know if it's day or night.

How often do you get obc? Sounds great!

I always get OBC in addition to the savings. On my Royal cruise, I'm getting $100, a travel mug and the TA coupon book. Between the Princess promotion, FCC and TA OBC, I have $300 in OBC in my Cruise Personalizer. I'll get another $250 stockholder perk plus $75 loyalty OBC. I can't check the fare savings because it's sold out but the last time I checked, it was close to 20%.

I always get OBC in addition to the savings. On my Royal cruise, I'm getting $100, a travel mug and the TA coupon book. Between the Princess promotion, FCC and TA OBC, I have $300 in OBC in my Cruise Personalizer. I'll get another $250 stockholder perk plus $75 loyalty OBC. I can't check the fare savings because it's sold out but the last time I checked, it was close to 20%.

Wow, that's awesome! :D

The thing is, I do all the research and cabin selection, and then call her when we're ready to book. So it is an easy sale for her. If I needed a lot of "handholding", that would be another matter entirely.

If you are doing all of the work anyway, you may want to use an online travel agency to book your cruise. I have recently booked a 10 day cruise on Royal Princess as a solo cruiser and was able to get a reduced rate as a past passenger and a low costing match from a different agency with $165 OBC. I paid $1860 which doesn't include the $165 OBC. My previous TA quoted $2256 with no OBC. Big difference in my book. I should mention this is an inside cabin, same category. I can't remember which. $560+ difference.

Bet you'd pay 200% for a mini-suite. :)

As long as I can afford it, I like having my own space, get up when I want, turn off the light when I want, use whatever drawers I want.

Well that isn't going to happen Pam. LOL I always book an inside if I go solo and if I am given a upgrade, that is good. The best advice I was given, is to book what you are comfortable with paying and where you will be happy.

Luckily,haven't had trouble being in an inside. I just basically use it to sleep and take a nap during sea days.

Ditto, my snuggle bunny is actually my avatar.

I'm a "plus size" cruiser now and I have to have the two beds combined. On a prior cruise neither I nor my TA noticed the notice that the two beds in my particular cabin couldn't be made up as a queen-sized bed. So I spent 14 nights trying to sleep in one of those single beds. Probably 25 years and 100 pounds ago it wouldn't have mattered, but not now.

Yikes! I had twin beds one cruise. It was good in a way because I could use the second one for my luggage and bags of things I collected. However, now I am a tad smarter...don't buy as much and like the queen set up better.

Are you from Sacramento? I noticed your location. I am in Sacramento, also.

Whether I'm traveling solo or with my folks - I always get an inside cabin. One reason is affordablility - but the bigger reason, especially when I travel solo is that it forces me to leave the room. If I got a room with a balconey I would never leave!!! When I travel with my folks - they always get a mini-suite and I hang there but still have my own little room to escape the pressures of daughter-dom.

I do go to the single gatherings - hey free champagne is free champagne, and have met some lovely women and very few men :)

Whether I'm traveling solo or with my folks - I always get an inside cabin. One reason is affordablility - but the bigger reason, especially when I travel solo is that it forces me to leave the room. If I got a room with a balconey I would never leave!!!

So true! :)

I always book Insides and pay the 150/160% solo charge.

Being inside doesn't bother me.

I leave the Bath Room light on and shut the door.

Find that enough light gets into my Cabin around the gap in the Cabin

Door and the Bath Room Door.

You are correct on the Loyality Program.

Every little thing helps.

Very interesting thread. I have only done one solo Princess cruise and paid 200% for an obstructed ocean view which was upgraded to a Plaza deck ocean view cabin.

My question is: are all inside cabins on Princess cruises less than 200% of the fare?

Very interesting thread. I have only done one solo Princess cruise and paid 200% for an obstructed ocean view which was upgraded to a Plaza deck ocean view cabin.

My question is: are all inside cabins on Princess cruises less than 200% of the fare?

No - it depends on when you book, availability, etc.... For example, last minute flash fares are 200% for insides.

I wouldn't focus on the percent, but the price.

For example, several years ago a friend and I both sailed single in outside cabins on the same cruise. He booked far in advance and paid 160%. I booked last minute and paid 200%. We both paid the same price (even though the percent was different) for cabins 2 doors from each other.

Focus on the price and if you are happy with it, go for it.

Yikes! I had twin beds one cruise. It was good in a way because I could use the second one for my luggage and bags of things I collected. However, now I am a tad smarter...don't buy as much and like the queen set up better.

Different strokes and all that! I'm a solo traveler and I like the twin set up as it gives more "walking around" room. I know the floor space is the same but it makes it appear bigger.:)

Different strokes and all that! I'm a solo traveler and I like the twin set up as it gives more "walking around" room. I know the floor space is the same but it makes it appear bigger.:)

It absolutely does, I totally agree with you. When I'm going "solo" I ALWAYS ask for the beds to be set-up as twins. There is definitely more walking around room especially in the inside cabins.

Yes; in the Arden-Arcade area.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419

Just read this Cruise Critic article on cruise lines that are friendly to solo cruisers. Princess didn't even make the list. Almost all my solo cruises have been on Princess, so I don't have much experience to compare. It surprised me that some cruise lines have a decent percentage of solo cruisers. I wish Princess would do better. Or maybe I need to start trying other cruise lines. Just curious what other Princess solo cruisers think.

I would not believe everything you read on here. It is a very poorly written article and whoever wrote it probably has not been on any of the ships in question. It is a very poor and sloppily put together editorial piece and cruise critic should be ashamed for having such garbage on their website.

Just briefly I have been on P&O and am in their top loyalty tier. I have also sailed as a single on that line. There is NO DIFFERENCE between P&O and Princess and the treatment of singles.

The cabins on Azura which the writer describes are actually tiny butterbox style cabins charged at a massive premium to singles. It is actually a insulting and degrading swipe at single passengers. P&O are saying to them

"we will give you a much smaller cabin at twice the rate"
. When I sailed on Azura I did a Baltic cruise on it and actually forked out the single supplement for a standard inside cabin as it gave me more room and facilities. When I calculated the cost of the single cabins for Azura, I looked at the regular twin cabins and added the single supplement to the middle category inside and outside cabin and bingo the prices matched. So therefore a much smaller cabin is still being charged at a massive premium. Less space for more money.

That being said I have also sailed with Princess and am elite with them. I find that despite the fact Princess do not offer single cabins you are treated very well. The staff look after you and there are singles meet and greets and events on their ships. The anytime dining option with a shared table puts you on tables with other passengers and other singles meaning it is one big friendly atmosphere.

Also re the other comments about share cabins with strangers. I started cruising in the days when that program existed and I can tell you I have tried it once and NEVER AGAIN. It was a terrible system and the personal qualities of the other cabin occupant would be enough to put you off cruising. I actually wrote a letter of complaint about the system telling the cruise line that the whole program should be ceased.

I would like to write more about why I disliked the share with stranger cabins however I feel that if I wrote the truth then this post would disappear. There does not seem to be much tolerance for people who tell the truth about such things here.

[quote=KarateMan;43062705..........................SNIP.................................

Also re the other comments about share cabins with strangers. I started cruising in the days when that program existed and I can tell you I have tried it once and NEVER AGAIN. It was a terrible system and the personal qualities of the other cabin occupant would be enough to put you off cruising. I actually wrote a letter of complaint about the system telling the cruise line that the whole program should be ceased.

I would like to write more about why I disliked the share with stranger cabins however I feel that if I wrote the truth then this post would disappear. There does not seem to be much tolerance for people who tell the truth about such things here.

Since the program no longer exists, it's a moot point.

In regards to talking to my TA about discounting: I did talk to her a while back and she said she was being honest that she just couldn't afford the discounting anymore. I don't know what changed. She's not a high volume Princess TA. I found a better deal on a cruise on a big box online agency and asked if she could match it. She said she couldn't. She told me I should go ahead and cancel with her and rebook with the online agency. I chose not to do that as she does a lot of extra work for me in trying to get what I want.

I ask for the queen set-up but against the wall. that gives me lots of room!
Oh, I never thought of that! What a great idea!
I chose not to do that as she does a lot of extra work for me in trying to get what I want.
Whether you use a discount TA, a Princess CSR, or a brick and mortar TA, the absolutely most important thing is to feel comfortable with and trust the person. That's the advice I give when asked. Edited by Pam in CA

FYI...I went to a hardware store and they took a plug adapter and the key person cut and filed one side down and bingo I have an adapter for a night in the bathroom regardless of what kind of cabin I have.

I also have an I Pad with an clock app which I set up at night as a night clock on the desk.

Good suggestion for an inside cabin, leave the bridge camera on and you will know the difference between day & night.

Tom:)

As long as we single cruisers pay the supplement, Princess will charge it. Were enabling them.

Enabling seems a bit harsh. What are the alternatives? If all the solo cruisers stopped sailing Princess and paying the supplement wouldn't they just fill the cabins with doubles? In fact they probably would prefer that because there would be more on board revenue.

Personally I like to sail solo about half the time and when I do I budget accordingly - it's the way Princess does business.

The MD sets the Traditional Tables up before each Cruise.

If they have one open spot -- Guess where the Solo goes.

I have found the opposite when I've sailed solo and had traditional dining...there's been at least an even split between solos and couples - but then when I'm solo I always ask for an eight top

Enabling seems a bit harsh. What are the alternatives? If all the solo cruisers stopped sailing Princess and paying the supplement wouldn't they just fill the cabins with doubles? In fact they probably would prefer that because there would be more on board revenue.
Of course they would. :) Princess doesn't make it easy for solos to cruise. It's a choice I as a solo cruise makes. I could take my business elsewhere (which I have since I'm also a 3-star Mariner on HAL) but I prefer Princess. I just try to be smart with my money.