Day of to Port Canaveral?

xan51090

We are looking at a cruise for late April, 2015 out of Port Canaveral. If we can get a non stop flight that arrives in Orlando by 10AM, would we be able to fly in the day of the cruise or would it be safer to arrive the day before? We've never gone out of this port so we're not sure about transportation to the port, time, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by xan51090

the port is approx. 50 minute drive from the airport (after you get luggage etc)

There is ONE road ... a limited access highway with few exits (that don't lead anywhere useful). Not unusual for an accident to close this road for a couple of hours. You can get stuck on the road, or as happened to me recently, you can't get ON. Being familiar with the area I took an alternate route that added 90 minutes to the travel time ... ADDED

if everything goes right, your plan is OK ... if there is a glitch your options can run out quickly.

I've done 'day of' arrivals to PC, with insurance AND the flights booked by the airlines. If the line KNOWS they have a late flight with a number of pass' they booked, they will sometimes wait. I was on a DCL that delayed departure for 3 hours in just such a situation. No promises but helps change the odds a little.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I would look for an earlier non-stop flight. You will be alright as long as all goes smoothly with the 1000am arrival, but an extra few hours buffer would be better. Florida accidents tend to close roads down for long periods of time. There are limo services you can make reservations prior to arrival to take you and pick you up. Check through the posts for thier names. You can also rent a car, they all provide shuttle service to the ports and will pick you up when you arrive back at port. Most cruisers ( I agree with ) fly in the day defore no matter how long or short a flight or drive they have.

• 3 weeks later...
the port is approx. 50 minute drive from the airport (after you get luggage etc)

There is ONE road ... a limited access highway with few exits (that don't lead anywhere useful). Not unusual for an accident to close this road for a couple of hours. You can get stuck on the road, or as happened to me recently, you can't get ON. Being familiar with the area I took an alternate route that added 90 minutes to the travel time ... ADDED

if everything goes right, your plan is OK ... if there is a glitch your options can run out quickly.

I've done 'day of' arrivals to PC, with insurance AND the flights booked by the airlines. If the line KNOWS they have a late flight with a number of pass' they booked, they will sometimes wait. I was on a DCL that delayed departure for 3 hours in just such a situation. No promises but helps change the odds a little.

Guess I'm lucky, never had a problem with 528 "beach line"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We prefer to always arrive at least one day before but there will be plenty of people that do what you are asking about.

We are the same. It just makes it less stressful to fly in the day before, have a nice dinner, and stay in a hotel by the port. :)

Edited by ciera123

Last time we sailed out of PC, there was a large brush fire cutting across the area, midway (I believe) between MCO and the port. They had closed down the highway overnight, but it opened back up when we were ready to drive to the port. You could see and smell the smoke for miles. Luckily we have family in the area who gave us some alternative routes for getting the the port.

• 1 month later...

I'd be most interested in knowing the alternate routes just in case something happens and the main highway is closed. We have an 11:30 a.m. arrival into MCO for our Freedom of the Seas cruise in a few weeks. DH likes to rent a car so we will really be pushing it. I always like to be prepared with an alternate route just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd be most interested in knowing the alternate routes just in case something happens and the main highway is closed. We have an 11:30 a.m. arrival into MCO for our Freedom of the Seas cruise in a few weeks. DH likes to rent a car so we will really be pushing it. I always like to be prepared with an alternate route just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if you get early word that 528 is closed your only good option if to use SR50 which is about 7 miles north of 528

You can get to 50 by taking 417 (toll) towards Sanford, then 408 (toll) towards UCF until you see the signs for SR50, then take 50 east

50 is not limited access - meaning there will be stop lights until you get about 1/2 way east ...

Now a little local knowledge will help, as well as traffic reports. You can stay on 50 all the way to 95 then drop south to 528 and the port .... OR if the closure has been partial you may be able to take 520 towards Cocoa and rejoin 528 . . .

528alternate_zps0b76a2dd.jpg

this all assumes that the problem is not one of the bridges over the rivers just west of the port .. in that case you'd have to take 95, south to 520, then go east to US1 or A1A then back north, depending on which bridge is closed Indian or Banana river ...