Last minute cancellation?

I'm scheduled for the Baltic cruise, departing Copenhagen on July 26. My adult daughter is supposed to be coming with me, but she may have to cancel for personal (non-medical) reasons.

My preference would be to be able to take someone else with me in her place, but when my TA talked to Regent about this, they say they "never" allow passenger name changes.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Regent would not even agree that I could travel alone without paying an additional fee (on top of the full two passenger fares). Any thoughts?

This will be my second cruise on Regent.

Thanks.

2012 Alaska Bound, your "name" is somewhat misleading, as you are talking about a cruise with your daughter to the Baltics. My sister just booked a cruise on Oceania (I brought her to Regent years ago) at the last minute for July 5 to the Baltics, and got a great deal. These are lines owned by the same company. I think in this case some accommodation from them is wise. Even if they don't "have to" according to strict contract guidelines.

My advice, if your TA won't get you what you need, call Regent directly and keep asking for someone higher up. Or ask your TA to do this.

For your particular cruise, it appears to me that it is still guaranteed or "available" in every single category on the website, so this cruise is surely not fully booked. Baltics do not seem to be selling to full capacity these days. Fat chance that they will fill this ship in the next 5 weeks. For gosh sakes, you already paid for two people!!!!!

This is why so many of us who post often on this board almost always recommend a TA who is very familiar with Regent, and may have some clout with contacts in the booking department. Maybe you have one of those, and this person should go to bat for you further. You are surely within the penalty stage, but I don't see why you should be a "lame duck". What bothers me is that you say they would "never" allow a name change. They can do anything they want to do, it is their line.

AND you don't have to post the result if you "push it" and get a good one. Gloating is not good. Better just give an on-board post about a great time you are having. This ALSO is a cruise that Regent has posted on their website that is available for a single to book at a lesser single supplement if you were a new booker. 50% single supplement. But at this point, you don't have the choice of cancel and rebook. If I were them, I would just let you change the name.

It doesn't make sense from a PR standpoint, especially since you are a potential long time booker with them, having already done one cruise not long ago. AND wanting to book again, whether it is with your daughter or someone else, it is same price. You almost never get a customer back when you lose them over something simple like this to solve, but so maddening to the customer.

I sure hope the powers that be at Regent are still monitoring this board. To me, it is a no brainer! And this coming from a Regent cheerleader who cherishes my long term relationship with a cruise line that has made me happy again and again, and has always taken care of me, starting in 2000.

Edited by jhp

When I saw this story I was surprised but VERY glad to know of this policy. We had something strongly on tap for next year but know in advance that there would be a 50/50 chance that sister might have to step in as a substitute and we would not know for sure until closer to departure. Would anyone know if it is possible to book as a single and then ADD a person a month or so in advance? Is this a company policy or a government security regulation of some sort? thanks f

JHP, thanks for the reply. My thought process about the situation was the same as yours. The only money Regent would really save would be on food and drink for my daughter, and really she doesn't eat or drink that much!

Since I'm a regular reader on the Regent board (love to cruise "virtually" along with others), I thought calling myself or having my TA call again and ask to speak to someone higher up would be a good plan.

I wouldn't think it would be a security thing, since I think anyone with a valid passport can book right up until the last minute.

And if I bring someone, it might be another long term customer for them!

PS: You are right, I really should change my "name"!

A few years back we ran into a similar problem..different line....We were told quite firmly that the fully paid/contracted passenger $ would be forfeited and that if we wished to substitute another person, it would be a new booking at the current rate.

If they are running [as stated above] a special on single fares, hopefully you can at least qualify for that should the need arise. And hopefully your TA can help you.

Like airlines, cruise lines appear to have become very 'fixed' these days.

A few years back we ran into a similar problem..different line....We were told quite firmly that the fully paid/contracted passenger $ would be forfeited and that if we wished to substitute another person, it would be a new booking at the current rate.

If they are running [as stated above] a special on single fares, hopefully you can at least qualify for that should the need arise. And hopefully your TA can help you.

Like airlines, cruise lines appear to have become very 'fixed' these days.

It seems obvious to me that Regent passengers are more likely to be in this situation more often because of age and health issues. I know this policy has been in effect for a long time but it does not seem fair to not allow a substitution under any circumstances. A policy or guidelines should be established by Regent to alleviate this inequity. Angie

They will not allow name changes after final payment is made--doesn't matter who your travel agent is as far as I know, because mine is a major booker of Regent and I actually looked into doing this a few years back. So if someone else wanted to take your daughter's place, it would be like a new booking. Don't know what the price would be--depends on how badly they are wanting to fill the ship.

If you are ok just travelling solo, my advice would just to show up without your daughter. People no show for things all the time. Her fare is already paid, so you wouldn't get that refunded, but you wouldn't have to pay extra either.

Thanks for the great replies.

RachaelG, showing up without her seemed like the cheapest option. Don't think there would be much for them to do about it at that point.

Luckily for me, my daughter has decided she can come after all, so we will both get to enjoy the cruise!

:D

Luckily for me, my daughter has decided she can come after all, so we will both get to enjoy the cruise!:D

That is the best outcome possible! See you on the cruise, I will also be traveling with my Mom.

gnomie :)

Thanks everybody! I'm delighted that my daughter will be joining me.

Gnomie - looking forward to meeting you and your mom! Only 6 weeks until we leave.....

What a shame that Regent has that policy. With Cunard they only charge £20 to do a name change. Much more sensible. Glad you have resolved your problems.

I'm cureous, what if one of the persons dies within the 120 days, is there still no refund?

That is what proper Travel Insurance is for and when you book your cruise you are invited to purchase coverage. And in my case that "invite" prompts me to purchase the coverage that meets my needs, though not thru the cruise line , but a Third Party.

So no, the Cruiseline is not likely to refund even in those circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm a believer in travel insurance, and always purchase. Most of the policies are as you mentioned, Alakska_bound, for cancellations for health reasons. That surcharge for cancel for any reason can be pretty steep, and I've never felt the need to get it, because the "regular" insurance covers what I need, otherwise I wouldn't book a cruise unless I'm sure I would not cancel, except for those reasons covered.

...That surcharge for cancel for any reason can be pretty steep, and I've never felt the need to get it, because the "regular" insurance covers what I need, otherwise I wouldn't book a cruise unless I'm sure I would not cancel, except for those reasons covered.

Me too. I've never booked and paid for a cruise when I thought I might change my mind for some business or personal reason.

Me too. I've never booked and paid for a cruise when I thought I might change my mind for some business or personal reason.

I met a lady on a cruise several years ago whose husband had died after final payment, she went on the cruise alone, Regent would not allow a name change. The cruise was paid for, the cabin was used, it didn't help the lady or Regent not to allow a name change. This or an illness could happen to any of us, she wasn't asking for a refund. If Regent is still booking passengers then there should be an option for a name change with an additional cost. Angie