New Specialty Dining Discounts - Kids Free / Discounted

and they have some restaurants that are for adults only. From what I am seeing here it doesn't sound like that will be the case.

Have them make one or two restaurants adult only and see which get booked. Would be interesting!!

I was talking about Disney land vs cruise. But I think Palo is adults only on the cruise.

On their dining plans, kids pay less, but they get kids' meals.

and they have some restaurants that are for adults only. From what I am seeing here it doesn't sound like that will be the case.

Have them make one or two restaurants adult only and see which get booked. Would be interesting!!

Wrong cruise line. RCI is not interested in couples/adults only. Why? Couples/adults don't spend enough $$$ per person. Families that are new to cruising spend the most per person. It tapers off over time. I do not expect Royal to cater to an adults only or restricted time plan or anything of that nature.

They're building a floating amusement park. What sort of client do you think they are after with this? It's an alternative to Disney World without Disney cruise prices. If you want "traditional" book up Vision and Radiance class ships while they are still around; 10 years from now this will be "the good old days."

RCI need to generate more revenue. Plain and simple. If they can't get it out of adults they will squeeze it out of kids.

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but this email that you're all talking about...is it for Oasis/Allure and Quantum or is it for the other ships as well?

We are sailing on Freedom end of August. My mom is Diamond + so I think she gets the BOGO on the first night for a specialty restaurant. I have my 2 boys with me...16.5 and 12. I'd love to take them with me, but we've always rejected the idea. Not because they were too young, or their behavior. Hell, they know how to behave in a restaurant. The issue was always with the younger one. Unlike his brother, he's not that adventurous an eater, and for the $20 or $25 cover, it just was not worth it for me to take him and have him not really like the bulk of the food.

Now, if I can bring him for $8 and he can get a caesar salad and filet (skipping anything that remotely resembles a vegetable) he might be okay with that. And then mom and I could enjoy, and older son can be in gastronomical heaven (this is my foodie).

With only 2 specialty restaurants on Freedom, are they also offering this reduced cost for the younger ones?

And believe me, I don't like to eat late so I'm not taking them to a specialty that late in the evening. And frankly, if either one is having an off night, and decides that being obnoxious is on the menu, I'll pull him out so fast his head will be spinning. I refuse to subject anyone (whether paying extra for a meal or included in the MDR) to the enjoyment that can be my boys when they are going at it. As their mother, I'm forced to suffer it at times...none of you signed up for that.

I know everyone's lil darlin's are special and have been ordering off the adult menus since they were weaned and they know how to act better in public than all of us child haters out in the real world, but honestly! Can't we have one spot on the whole blinking ship without children 24/7? Next thing I know I will be expected to share my balcony with the kids across the hall in the inside cabin because their room doesn't have a view. :rolleyes:

Sorry Royal, big mistake. Let the kids have 99.9% of the ship and save one small spot for the rest of us. I promise not to go to the kids club, living room, arcade, kid zone or any of other kids only area, just give us a few spots sans kids.

What does "Number of Reservations" mean? I have a family of 4, kids are 15 and 19, so I know they are adults. Does this mean if I book a reservation for 4, I get 25% off the reservation? Meaning it would cost me

* WAS * Family of 4 = $35+35+35+35 = $140

* IS NOW * Family of 4 = $26.25+26.25+26.25+26.25 = $105

What does "Number of Reservations" mean? I have a family of 4, kids are 15 and 19, so I know they are adults. Does this mean if I book a reservation for 4, I get 25% off the reservation? Meaning it would cost me

I don't know. I haven't gotten the email yet and nothing shows on the website that I can find. Where are you seeing this?

Someone mentioned a percentage off for larger groups. See first post.

Edited by marci22

I was looking forward to going to a smaller more ambulant place for my birthday. Was hopping for chefs table but if couldn't get in then a specialty restaurant but now am having second thoughts as the thought of being in a smaller space then MDR or windjammer with a screaming board child with the parent in holiday mode and unwilling to accept help with their child. What small part of hell and yes I know its your holiday but its mine to

I was looking forward to going to a smaller more ambulant place for my birthday. Was hopping for chefs table but if couldn't get in then a specialty restaurant but now am having second thoughts as the thought of being in a smaller space then MDR or windjammer with a screaming board child with the parent in holiday mode and unwilling to accept help with their child. What small part of hell and yes I know its your holiday but its mine to

Why do you just assume that is going to happen? It's such a weird response to assume that's going to be the new normal.

I would think that number of reservations is the number of times your family (or part thereof) eat in one of the specialty restaurants. So a family of 4 eating once would be one reservation.

Why do you just assume that is going to happen? It's such a weird response to assume that's going to be the new normal.

I agree. Mass market cruise lines are going to have kids unless they make an adult only restaurant. But if the goal is to make money and cater to families this is not going to be the case on any cruise line.

A "reservation" is a meal experience, regardless of the number of people present. One dinner with four people still counts as one. Your example would still cost $140, until one or more of you attend at least three meals, at which time you'd be given OBC in the amount of at least 20% for all meals.

If they really want to fill their specialties, why not reduce the price all around?

Make Chops $20pp.

Family of five -> 35 + 35 + 8 + 8 + 8 = $94

Family of five -> 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 = $100

That way you get families in and the couples aren't penalized.

Make Wonderland $25pp etc.

Clearly you and RC are on different wavelengths .

They prefer to boost prices again and again and then offer discounts ,deals and gimmicks to fill these seats .

They seems to love all this foolishness and perhaps we do too. :rolleyes:

Clearly you and RC are on different wavelengths .

They prefer to boost prices again and again and then offer discounts ,deals and gimmicks to fill these seats .

They seems to love all this foolishness and perhaps we do too. :rolleyes:

I know. It's just so gimmicky. The larger parties do alright with 25-30% off and the kids do great @ $8 (still wondering which restaurants this includes) but they kind of ignore parties of 2.

The larger parties do alright with 25-30% off...but they kind of ignore parties of 2.

The discount has to do with number of reservations, not number of people in the group. So if a couple books 5 restaurants they get the same 30% back in OBC as if it was a party of 6 booking the same 5 restaurants. There is no ignoring a party of 2 with this system. :confused:

I was talking about Disney land vs cruise. But I think Palo is adults only on the cruise.

On their dining plans, kids pay less, but they get kids' meals.

Palo lets kids in before 7. Remy is AO all the time IIRC. only V&A is AO at the parks/resorts.

in fact for a long time many, if not most, specialty restaurants were AO after 7 pm on most mainstream lines. it was a compromise that still penalized the ones who wanted a CF atmosphere as they were forced to dine later in order to get that experience.

The discount has to do with number of reservations, not number of people in the group. So if a couple books 5 restaurants they get the same 30% back in OBC as if it was a party of 6 booking the same 5 restaurants. There is no ignoring a party of 2 with this system. :confused:

ah, I was confused by the first post. I thought it was by party size, not by number of reservations. my bad. Not as good a deal imo. You have to book 3 nights to get 20% back.

Edited by marci22

To me it doesn't make sense about having to do 3 reservations for the four of us at the specialty reservation, because we are missing 3 meals in the MDR, and what do I get, 20% of my $520 (3 x's $140) or $105 in OBC or a cost to me of $415 extra expense to me when I have at most gone to 2 specialty restaurants on a normal 7 day cruise. More like 1 time per cruise is what we do.

To me this is one of those gimmick's that RCL has come up with to get more $ out on the cruise. You are spending more to get a little discount on the back side.

To me it doesn't make sense about having to do 3 reservations for the four of us at the specialty reservation, because we are missing 3 meals in the MDR, and what do I get, 20% of my $520 (3 x's $140) or $105 in OBC or a cost to me of $415 extra expense to me when I have at most gone to 2 specialty restaurants on a normal 7 day cruise. More like 1 time per cruise is what we do.

To me this is one of those gimmick's that RCL has come up with to get more $ out on the cruise. You are spending more to get a little discount on the back side.

It makes a little more sense when you start looking at dynamic dining on quantum, especially if you are on one of the longer sailings and there is no more MDR.

It makes a little more sense when you start looking at dynamic dining on quantum, especially if you are on one of the longer sailings and there is no more MDR.

But you still have several free options. And from what they have been promoting, the free menus look very good. We will see how it works out. I hope they do not over promise and under deliver.

Honestly, Quantum and Anthem need to have good dining options overall. Many of their itineraries are terrible so they will have to make it up on the food and the entertainment, rather than the ports.

So if a D+ member goes to the Specialty restaurant on the first night and buys 1 $25 meal (the second being complimentary with the BOGO coupon) they will get $5 OBC? Is that right:rolleyes:

Disclaimer Sorry if this has been asked and answered. If so I did not see it

Or maybe the fine print is not combinable with any other C and A benefits :)

Edited by molly361

So am I confused here? It's now cheaper for a 4 year old to eat in Chops than it is for them to eat in Johnny Rockets? ***? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Why wouldn't JR's be free for a 4 year old? It says Specialty Dining, JR's is specialty dining. It looks like for ages 6 - 12 it would only be $2 more for Chops versus JR's for a child though. It would be wrong of RCI to charge a 4 year old at JR's if they do not charge them at other specialty dining venues (where items are not sold a la carte)

How will they handle this with Izumis?