tulip time river cruise

pghbabe

I went on a Danube river cruise with Tauck and I was underwhelmed. I would like to take the spring tulip cruise. I would like a cruise line with good food and a bedroom that is bigger than 152 sq feet. What would you recommend?

You might want to post your question over on the river cruise board. Tauck ships do offer cabins/suites with more space than 150 sq ft. So do many other lines. Just be careful what you book.

Tauck has the reputation of being "THE" line out there. If they underwhelmed you, I can't recommend any other line that I have cruised with.

We really enjoyed our Vantage Holland/Belgium river cruise at tulip time.

The cabin was small but the beds were very comfortable and we had a nice sized window. Being up on deck with all the shipping activity going on along the river and the very interesting excursions that were included was great. Only in the cabin for dressing and sleeping. Beautiful lounge area with big picture windows. Hope you find the right cruise for you. I think you'll like it.

I went on a Danube river cruise with Tauck and I was underwhelmed. I would like to take the spring tulip cruise. I would like a cruise line with good food and a bedroom that is bigger than 152 sq feet. What would you recommend?

Tauck is considered the top of the top, so if you were underwhelmed by their Danube cruise you aren't likely to be happy with any other river cruise. River cruising is very different from ocean cruising and it isn't for everyone.

We were on the maiden voyage of the Viking Delling this year for a tulips and windmills cruise. The ship was brand new and absolutely gorgeous. We were in the least expensive cabin on the lowest deck, but Viking has suites which are larger, but of course, more expensive. We thought the food was very good, but the food will depend on the chef. Give a dozen chefs the same recipe and ingredients, and you will taste 12 different meals.

I have some pictures of the cabin and ship and will email them to you if you want to see them.

Tauck is considered the top of the top, so if you were underwhelmed by their Danube cruise you aren't likely to be happy with any other river cruise. River cruising is very different from ocean cruising and it isn't for everyone.

Exactly what I was thinking !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went on a Tauck Tulip cruise in 2008. We started in Brussels, then bussed to Brugge, where we got on the ship. We cruised up to Amsterdam. That was our first river cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed it; although the countryside is more flat and more industrialized than the mountainous Danube.

plenty of river cruises would fit that criteria...food and size of cabin. need to do plenty of research prior. just curious why did you feel underwhelmed on your last cruise?

We did Tulip Time with AMA in April and had a twin balcony cabin that was 235 sq ft. Very nice cabin and we are great fans of the AMA experience. Look for categories AA and AB - only their newer vessels have these cabin categories.

We've done Tauck tours (land, not cruise) and also river cruising. As others have said, consider whether the issue truly was cabin size or simply the style of river cruising.

There are now a number of lines (Viking is one) that offer ships with larger cabins on some itineraries. However, nothing else about the cruise will change. Itinerary, dearth of shipboard "entertainment," meals, etc. are largely the same regardless of the ship or line.

I've done the "Tulips and Windmills" cruise with Viking. The highlight is, of course, the Kukenhof gardens. However, it is VERY weather dependent. After a full week of 55 degree and cloudy weather, we ended up with 72 degrees and sunny the day we were there. The next day, it poured. The best time for flowers (late April) can be dicey with weather and the ports/cities are mostly walking-around types of places.

If you didn't like Tauck (who does things very well), river cruising may not be your thing, even with a larger cabin. Consider whether a land tour might work better for you, especially in the Tulips and Windmills area, where you could easily do it from the base of 2-3 hotels.

Edited by ggo85

Avalon's standard cabins are 172 sq ft, the largest of any of the lines. Their newer Panorama or suite ships have larger cabins that are up to 200 sq ft.

AMA's standard cabins are also 170 sq ft, FYI. And their twin balconies as large as 235.

We had a Panorama cabin on our last Avalon sailing and it was lovely! Great use of space and the bathroom was well designed.

Edited by caviargal

I would be surprised if the OP returned to this topic. To me it looks like a shoot and run attack.

Long gone, two posts, one in 2011 and then this one on June 10th ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app