Requesting Update on Westerdam's Neptune Lounge

sail7seas

The CEO was on boarding day, not for the cruise, please don't start rumors. The ship was not in code red and having someone serve you in the lounge was lovely. I saw no material differences between the westerdam and my prior cruise on the noordam. In fact I had a better experience with the NL on westerdam then on Noordam

What rumor am I starting? I simply asked a question:confused:. I said the CEO was on with you. I didn't ask if he was in your room nor for the cruise. There is no reason to get so upset with me.

Edited by cruz chic

It's was on mine, except for a toaster (a bit tacky). I asked for anything, sat down and it was brought to me

I don't want to ask for something, sit down and wait for it.

I can go to Pinnacle for that.

I like the way 14 of HAL's 15 ships do it in Neptune Lounge. I go in, select what I want, take it to my cabin and enjoy.

I don't want to sit and eat in Neptune and I certainly don't want to wait while someone diddles around getting it.

We enjoyed Neptune Lounge on Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam and, indeed, our last cruise on Westerdam.

Seems to me HAL is trying to test the waters to see how many complaints they get by changing the system. As to the 'tacky' toaster, I like it a lot. It is out for an hour or so in the morning for people to toast a bagel. I'm not sure what is tacky about that. Is the coffee machine tacky? Some mornings I enjoy that hot, freshly toasted bagel with a bit of smoked salmon and I sit on the verandah and it's deliciously relaxing.

I like the way 14 of HAL's 15 ships do it in Neptune Lounge. I go in, select what I want, take it to my cabin and enjoy.

I don't want to sit and eat in Neptune and I certainly don't want to wait while someone diddles around getting it.

We enjoyed Neptune Lounge on Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam and, indeed, our last cruise on Westerdam.

Seems to me HAL is trying to test the waters to see how many complaints they get by changing the system. As to the 'tacky' toaster, I like it a lot. It is out for an hour or so in the morning for people to toast a bagel. I'm not sure what is tacky about that. Is the coffee machine tacky? Some mornings I enjoy that hot, freshly toasted bagel with a bit of smoked salmon and I sit on the verandah and it's deliciously relaxing.

On our recent Zuiderdam cruise, they had one (and sometimes two) PG waiters who were serving in the NL (due to the Code Red condition). Often times the concierge would hop up and assist. There was very little waiting, not any more than if you were waiting from someone to finish up at the coffee machine.

Also, I can confirm there was indeed a toaster on the Zuiderdam.

There is always a Pinnacle Steward in all Neptune Lounges to do the stocking of the cold display case, replace dishes, clean up. But we have always served ourselves. And, yes, the concierges help clean up sometimes and are always happy to assist someone who needs help carrying their coffee or whatever. The Pinnacle stewards come and go throughout the day as they clear away the breakfast foods to bring lunch etc

Happy to hear Zuiderdam has a toaster. :)

I totally agree. If I want to take two or three cookies I can just take them- I really don't want to "ask for permission". I can get my own cookies in the Lido- why not the NL.

I think that they are trying to see if the food consumption drops when not self service so they can cut back the amount presented (another "subtle" cost savings) oops- I mean enhancement.

I totally agree. If I want to take two or three cookies I can just take them- I really don't want to "ask for permission". I can get my own cookies in the Lido- why not the NL.

I think that they are trying to see if the food consumption drops when not self service so they can cut back the amount presented (another "subtle" cost savings) oops- I mean enhancement.

I totally agree.

I'd also like to know why a toaster is "tacky". That's a first.

Every time we hear about cookies in the Lido we cringe.

On one trip we were sitting very close the where the cookies were. We saw more than one person come up and 'paw' the cookies. Not sure why anyone would do this...maybe looking for the one with the most chocolate chips? Not certain if this can still be done. We have also seen it with bread rolls and even dishware on other cruise lines. If we pick up a plate, etc. and decide not to use it, we ensure that it is not put back in the stack of clean dishes.

Just one reason why we like to avoid any self service food area on a ship-any ship. Very diffent if the food is handed to you on a plate or if you have to use the correct utensils.

Edited by iancal

On one trip we were sitting very close the where the cookies were. We saw more than one person come up and 'paw' the cookies. Not sure why anyone would do this...maybe looking for the one with the most chocolate chips? Not certain if this can still be done. We have also seen it with bread rolls and even dishware on other cruise lines. If we pick up a plate, etc. and decide not to use it, we ensure that it is not put back in the stack of clean dishes.

Just one reason why we like to avoid any self service food area on a ship-any ship. Very diffent if the food is handed to you on a plate or if you have to use the correct utensils.

This sort of activity is, unfortunately, not limited to the Lido. We witnessed similar actions several times in the NL on our recent Zuiderdam cruise.

Yuk! A good cruise for me is one where I don't have to step foot in the lido. When the mdr is closed for lunch sometimes you have to. I've been known to eat a cookie or 2. Maybe this will keep me out of them.

Hi Sail - it made me smile to read your comment, because I was thinking of our December cruise on the Westerdam. Nothing at all on the sideboard, but in the mornings..... the toaster was there....all lonely, sitting by itself on that empty sideboard. I thought it was so funny, because unless you knew that you should ask for bread, etc. - how would you know why that toaster was sitting there?:confused:

Overall, I am sad that they still have not fixed this simple issue. As I mentioned in previous posts - sure there are people to help and serve, but it does feel awkward (to me anyway) to have to ask someone to fetch cookies or spoon some strawberries on my plate. :(

I was on the Westerdam June 7 - June 14. The Neptune Lounge was fully stocked all day. Yes there was a sneeze guard around the food. There was someone there from Pinnacle but only to keep things stocked and help you if needed. I was able to take my own food, and as much as I wanted.

I was on the Westerdam June 7 - June 14. The Neptune Lounge was fully stocked all day. Yes there was a sneeze guard around the food. There was someone there from Pinnacle but only to keep things stocked and help you if needed. I was able to take my own food' date=' and as much as I wanted.[/quote']

Hip Hip Hoorah!@@!!!

Finally.

You bring good news.

Thank you for your up to date, current report.

You have made this Neptune Suite cruiser very happy. :) .... and I suspect more than a few others.

It takes a lot to make me happy these days.

Edited by sail7seas

I was on the Westerdam June 7 - June 14. The Neptune Lounge was fully stocked all day. Yes there was a sneeze guard around the food. There was someone there from Pinnacle but only to keep things stocked and help you if needed. I was able to take my own food' date=' and as much as I wanted.[/quote']

I will be on the Westerdam july 5 - 19th and will take lots of pictures of the NL to share.

I will be on the Westerdam july 5 - 19th and will take lots of pictures of the NL to share.

Thank you. :)

I'll look forward to seeing the photos.

Have a great time. She's a beautiful ship and seems in 'ship shape' after her recent dry dock.

Are you speaking of the sideboard or of the round area more in the middle where they keep yougart, cheese and small sandwiches later in the day? If it would the round serving area you have been able to help yourself all along from there.

Edited by cruz chic

Are you speaking of the sideboard or of the round area more in the middle where the keep yougart, cheese and small sandwiches later in the day? If it would the round serving area you have been able to help yourself all along from there.

Ah..... good question.

I was on the Westerdam in May. We were able to serve ourselves from the round center area which had a sneeze guard at all times of the day. In the mornings, the sideboard contained all the muffins, croissants, toast, etc and was blocked off by ropes in a kind of "v". A server handed you your items from there. On the one morning when no one was there, I reached over to get a muffin and a staff member came rushing over to stop me.

Edited by antmoe565

I was on the Westerdam in May. We were able to serve ourselves from the round center area which had a sneeze guard at all times of the day. In the mornings, the sideboard contained all the muffins, croissants, toast, etc and was blocked off by ropes in a kind of "v". A server handed you your items from there. On the one morning when no one was there, I reached over to get a muffin and a staff member came rushing over to stop me.

Ridiculous. I'm thinking nothing has changed on the Westerdam. It seems like it's more a matter of knowing what "normal" is. Thx for the info.

Edited by cruz chic

Ridiculous. I'm thinking nothing has changed on the Westerdam. It seems like it's more a matter of knowing what "normal" is. Thx for the info.

I'm with you. I searched all if the health inspections for Westerdam back when this started online and not one mention of the sideboard in the NL. They are all accessible at the CDC website.

Sneeze guards are not rocket science. Hmmm... maybe they could get a deal on a used one from Golden Corral. There have been way too many "reasons" given that this one NL is different than the rest (yes I meant to say "excuses").

Sure there are other lines that charge more for their suites- there are also lines that are comparable in cost that provide Butlers for all suites. NCL's Haven comes to mind.

We paid about $425 per person per day on a cruise that was selling inside cabins at $400 per person for the entire cruise. Value for fare paid can only be diluted so far before we will have to say goodbye.

Sure I'd miss being a 3 star Mariner- but could easily get back to that level somewhere else. The HAL people... sigh.... that would be the hardest part of switching.

Edited by frankc98376

I'm with you. I searched all if the health inspections for Westerdam back when this started online and not one mention of the sideboard in the NL. They are all accessible at the CDC website.

Sneeze guards are not rocket science. Hmmm... maybe they could get a deal on a used one from Golden Corral. There have been way too many "reasons" given that this one NL is different than the rest (yes I meant to say "excuses").

Sure there are other lines that charge more for their suites- there are also lines that are comparable in cost that provide Butlers for all suites. NCL's Haven comes to mind.

We paid about $425 per person per day on a cruise that was selling inside cabins at $400 per person for the entire cruise Specials. Value for fare paid can only be diluted so far before we will have to say goodbye.

Sure I'd miss being a 3 star Mariner- but could easily get back to that level somewhere else. The HAL people... sigh.... that would be the hardest part of switching.

I just love reading your posts. You are hilarious. That's the problem. You have a small layer paying top prices and the $399 cruisers that come along for the ride. It cheapens the whole experience.

We paid about $425 per person per day on a cruise that was selling inside cabins at $400 per person for the entire cruise. Value for fare paid can only be diluted so far before we will have to say goodbye.

What do you think the reason for their doing this only in Neptune Lounge on Westerdam? What is the reason for their 'excuses'?

If I understand correctly, are you saying that you will leave HAL as HAL has, for whatever reason, taken a small section of the Neptune Lounge Buffet and made it a service counter instead? You would leave because you are being served instead of helping yourself to the buffet?

If I understand correctly, are you saying that you will leave HAL as HAL has, for whatever reason, taken a small section of the Neptune Lounge Buffet and made it a service counter instead? You would leave because you are being served instead of helping yourself to the buffet?

Not answering for him but it seems to me he is not getting the value he expects for the price he is paying.

I found it nicer to be served, that's what luxury is. To each is own, but this thread has gotten silly, I was thankful for the great service, delightful food and great company in the Neptune. I was very impressed with the suite options on westerdam.

I often sail crystal and Silversea, for the price paid for my SA (and I've sailed peak and shoulder seasons) the value is very good on westerdam. I don't see how a donut or a wedge of cheese vs a fruit tart changes that. Based on the chef, if I don't have roast beef sandwiches on Oosterdam vs the delicious ones on westerdam, is the cruise a bust? Or should I enjoy the options the chef has made on that ship?

This thread needs to end, it's sounding very spoiled. I'm out of here. Enjoy your cruises....

Edited by avalon1025

I found it nicer to be served, that's what luxury is. To each is own, but this thread has gotten silly, I was thankful for the great service, delightful food and great company in the Neptune. I was very impressed with the suite options on westerdam.

I often sail crystal and Silversea, for the price paid for my SA (and I've sailed peak and shoulder seasons) the value is very good on westerdam. I don't see how a donut or a wedge of cheese vs a fruit tart changes that. Based on the chef, if I don't have roast beef sandwiches on Oosterdam vs the delicious ones on westerdam, is the cruise a bust? Or should I enjoy the options the chef has made on that ship?

This thread needs to end, it's sounding very spoiled. I'm out of here. Enjoy your cruises....

If you have not been in other HAL Neptune Lounges, in all likelihood you cannot understand the difference in the Westerdam NL. We were on this ship when the change took place. My DH was in the NL, along with HAL officers and several "suits." They "shut down" the Sideboard. It was in early March 2013 and it has never returned to having the same offerings. Some of us don't think we are being "silly."

Edited by Linda&Vern