Host Walt: Piano Bar thread - Sticky?

elycelynne

What a few posters seem to be missing is that the piano player asked the OP to sing. It wasn't the other way around. I find some of these replies to be very harsh. Is that really necessary?

I agree.

I agree. It is rare to be asked and a true compliment to the singer.

I only saw it once and in all honesty, a truly beautiful singer. They performed one or two songs every night due to the huge request for encores.

There are some very talented people on cruises and if we have the benefit to have one of them on board - why not? who better to judge than the piano man?

It didn't detract from his work/performance and in fact they did a duet. It was very, very nice.

The Piano Bar is my favorite venue aboard HAL ships (most of the time!) and I've never seen a piano player ask anyone to sing.

But I have seen many people ask if they can sing. I've also seen the floodgates open after one person is given the chance to perform a solo.

It's not harsh to say that one does not want to listen to fellow passengers sing and prefers the professional be the only one at the microphone.

It's not attacking anyone here, it's just stating a preference.

On a cruise last year we sat next to a man with a wonderful voice. He was in the Piano Bar every night, sitting close to the piano man. He didn't ask to sing, nor was he asked to perform. He was happy enjoying exactly what the Piano Bar is supposed to be, a place to enjoy the camaraderie of others and to sing along.

We later found out that he sings professionally in a group back in his hometown!

We have to agree with some of the other comments. If we want to hear a passenger sing we can go to a passenger talent show (which is very unlikely). When we go to a Piano bar we want to hear the music (and hopefully decent ) of a true professional. An occasional sing along is can be fun in a decent piano bar, but that is far different then Karaoke passengers. If a passenger thinks they are good enough to entertain, and that is their desire, we think they should go through the proper procedures to become a professional..and perhaps they can get hired to work on a ship :)

Hank

... why not a formal sticky for HAL entertainers?
Because entertainers change too frequently and it would soon be glutted with outdated info. And we don't need any more stickies. Yes, the "hamburger" sticky should go. :)

We have to agree with some of the other comments. If we want to hear a passenger sing we can go to a passenger talent show (which is very unlikely). When we go to a Piano bar we want to hear the music (and hopefully decent ) of a true professional. An occasional sing along is can be fun in a decent piano bar, but that is far different then Karaoke passengers. If a passenger thinks they are good enough to entertain, and that is their desire, we think they should go through the proper procedures to become a professional..and perhaps they can get hired to work on a ship :)

Hank

Passenger talent shows? I started cruising with HAL in 2009, and never once was there a passenger talent show. I thought that cruise lines had done away with them, but maybe it's only HAL who has, or maybe they're offered on some of the much longer cruises (my maximum so far is 11-day sailings).

Passenger talent shows? I started cruising with HAL in 2009, and never once was there a passenger talent show. I thought that cruise lines had done away with them, but maybe it's only HAL who has, or maybe they're offered on some of the much longer cruises (my maximum so far is 11-day sailings).

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing passenger talent shows in a long time, except for karaoke.

However, I have seen passenger night in several piano bars. Those nights are announced in advance, you sign up, and there's an opportunity to rehearse with the piano bar musician. I stay away on those nights, so can't report on how they are.

HAL has had passenger talent shows on the longer cruises as recently as October last year on SADM's 30-Day Circle Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas (French Polynesia) voyage. The show was called "Statendam Awards Show" and the MC was Cruise Director Linda Minnikin

HAL has had passenger talent shows on the longer cruises as recently as October last year on SADM's 30-Day Circle Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas (French Polynesia) voyage. The show was called "Statendam Awards Show" and the MC was Cruise Director Linda Minnikin

Thanks for elaborating on that, John. I guess I'll have to wait until I retire in order to go on a cruise of that length!