First Time RCI Cruise In Aug. FOS

Suska_83

It is my first time going on a RCI cruise, Do you have to book in advance to reserve the waive rider? I went to the website and it does say it but for lessons, which i do not want. Any other on board activities you have to prebook before cruising? I'm going with my family(family vacation, since we are all adults and vacation on our own, we wanted to invite our parents to a cruise), My parents and brother have never been on a cruise but my sister and I have, but on Carnival.

Also, we are driving from MA to FL, and are thinking of using the parking lot at Cape Canaveral, My mom can't walk great distances, so do we need to prebook that as well or just pay when we get to the parking lot? I didn't think about it when we were booking the cruise but now that it gets closer that's something to think about :confused:.

Also, we are driving from MA to FL, and are thinking of using the parking lot at Cape Canaveral, My mom can't walk great distances, so do we need to prebook that as well or just pay when we get to the parking lot? I didn't think about it when we were booking the cruise but now that it gets closer that's something to think about :confused:.

for your mom-- consider renting her a scooter for onboard the ship

I think its called http://carevacations.com/our-services/ since you are saying your mom cant do distances to walk. The ship is HUGE and just going from your cabin to the buffet could be a long walk for her.

]It is my first time going on a RCI cruise' date=' Do you have to book in advance to reserve the waive rider? I went to the website and it does say it but for lessons, which i do not want. Any other on board activities you have to prebook before cruising? [/b']I'm going with my family(family vacation, since we are all adults and vacation on our own, we wanted to invite our parents to a cruise), My parents and brother have never been on a cruise but my sister and I have, but on Carnival.

You would book you flow rider sessions on board. There are no activities on board FOS that you can prebook. The Ice Show will have reserved times but they are assigned based on your muster station. You can also go "stand by" for available seating.

Enjoy your cruise!

It is my first time going on a RCI cruise, Do you have to book in advance to reserve the waive rider? I went to the website and it does say it but for lessons, which i do not want. Any other on board activities you have to prebook before cruising? I'm going with my family(family vacation, since we are all adults and vacation on our own, we wanted to invite our parents to a cruise), My parents and brother have never been on a cruise but my sister and I have, but on Carnival.

You would book your flow rider sessions on board. There are no activities such as shows, etc., on board FOS that you can prebook. The Ice Show will have reserved times but they are assigned based on your muster station. You can also go "stand by" for available seating.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You would book your flow rider sessions on board. There are no activities such as shows, etc., on board FOS that you can prebook. The Ice Show will have reserved times but they are assigned based on your muster station. You can also go "stand by" for available seating.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your imput, I will definitely do that when I get there.

Thanks a bunch!

If you rent a scooter for your mom she will probably need a handicapped cabin. The scooter probably won't fit thru the door of a regular cabin. I would call the cruise line to check.

I talked it over with my mom and she said she doesn't want that. She uses a walking cane. she told me "i'm only going to relax and laze away reading my books". So I guess that's that :). Thanks for your suggestions though, its appreciated!

I talked it over with my mom and she said she doesn't want that. She uses a walking cane. she told me "i'm only going to relax and laze away reading my books". So I guess that's that :). Thanks for your suggestions though, its appreciated!

Having never cruised before she probably has no idea the size of the ship.

Getting from her cabin to the food is enough. Either the lido deck OR the dining room will be a trip. Consider the wheel chair for her then-- at least someone can get her to the meals.

The walk will feel longer and longer as the week goes on.

It is my first time going on a RCI cruise, Do you have to book in advance to reserve the waive rider? I went to the website and it does say it but for lessons, which i do not want....

For regular turns on the Flow Rider (not individual lessons), you do not reserve. You sign the waiver either online or onboard ship, get a bracelet for that, and then stand in line. The times will be posted in the newsletter, the Cruise Compass. Your family will quickly get to know the schedule and when the lines are shortest and longest.

My mom can't walk great distances....

Agree with serene56, the ship is huge and she would probably appreciate at least having a wheelchair should she need one. You can't just "get one" on the ship; you have to rent it ahead of time from the website listed earlier. I appreciate that Mom wants to be independent and enjoy her vacation, but Freedom-class ships are huge and even an able-bodied person might find there is a lot of walking. My advice is to have a rented wheelchair in the cabin in case it is needed. If not, then at least you covered that base and tried. :)

For regular turns on the Flow Rider (not individual lessons), you do not reserve. You sign the waiver either online or onboard ship, get a bracelet for that, and then stand in line. The times will be posted in the newsletter, the Cruise Compass. Your family will quickly get to know the schedule and when the lines are shortest and longest.

Agree with serene56, the ship is huge and she would probably appreciate at least having a wheelchair should she need one. You can't just "get one" on the ship; you have to rent it ahead of time from the website listed earlier. I appreciate that Mom wants to be independent and enjoy her vacation, but Freedom-class ships are huge and even an able-bodied person might find there is a lot of walking. My advice is to have a rented wheelchair in the cabin in case it is needed. If not, then at least you covered that base and tried. :)

mmm looking at it that way, then yes I will have to do that. My siblings and I will talk to her tonight then. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks serene I will have a talk with her tonight. The sooner we get that squared away the better.

Rather than using a parking lot , it may be cheaper to find a hotel/motel near that will allow you to leave your car.

Yeah I was looking at that when I was checking hotels out when we booked it, we did the Econo Lodge on Rt A1A, but my sister (since we're using her car to drive down there) read the comments of fellow cruisers that stayed there and was not convinced where they stashed the vehicle for that week( it was not on the hotel premises). I get her, she has a new car she just bought a month ago, so you still in that honeymoon stage with a new vehicle. So she doesn't mind the price at the lot where we're boarding the cruise. So, everyone agreed, that's where we're parking the car.