World Cup on Regent

The football/soccer World Cup began today, and will continue for about a month. For those of us whose countries are among the 24 nations fighting for the cup, it's an exciting time. If we also have a Regent cruise during this period (and we do, Oslo to Copenhagen 7/10 to 7/26), it would be nice to see some games while we're on the cruise.

Does anyone know whether Regent will be carrying the games, whether on in room TV or in a lounge? We'll be home for the early rounds; but the late rounds, including the final, will be while we're on the Voyager.

The football/soccer World Cup began today, and will continue for about a month. For those of us whose countries are among the 24 nations fighting for the cup, it's an exciting time. If we also have a Regent cruise during this period (and we do, Oslo to Copenhagen 7/10 to 7/26), it would be nice to see some games while we're on the cruise.

Does anyone know whether Regent will be carrying the games, whether on in room TV or in a lounge? We'll be home for the early rounds; but the late rounds, including the final, will be while we're on the Voyager.

For the record... 32 teams compete. ;)

We are also avid soccer fans and will be cruising on Oceania in July.

I queried the home office and got this depressing reply:

Please note that the World Cup will not be shown on any of our ships as we do not have the broadcast rights. We will have the news from the Tournaments in a daily printed special; and guest will have the results on the SAT TV News shows.

That more than stinks, considering most major cruise lines are making special plans to carry the games.

For you, I fear Regent will offer a similar reply... hope not, but it's the same department. Let me know if you hear otherwise.

Cruise Critic posted yesterday which ships will have World Cup coverage.http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2014/06/12/cruise-tips-how-to-watch-the-world-cup-at-sea/ Hopefully the link will work if you're interested.

Caryll

Cruise Critic posted yesterday which ships will have World Cup coverage.http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2014/06/12/cruise-tips-how-to-watch-the-world-cup-at-sea/ Hopefully the link will work if you're interested.

Caryll

I wonder why Regent & Oceania can't show the games, when so may other lines will be showing them all. I would think that the two cruise lines have the right to use ABC and ESPN, and all games will be on those two networks.

I wonder why Regent & Oceania can't show the games, when so may other lines will be showing them all. I would think that the two cruise lines have the right to use ABC and ESPN, and all games will be on those two networks.

In fairness, they do have to pay a subscription fee for any satellite channel; and those fees are whopping compared to single viewer fees.

ABC is almost never on any ship. I have gotten regional ESPN channels around the world, but rarely the main one. Norwegian has contracted with Sport24 to cover all the games.

I'm wondering if you cannot find a feed on the internet. Depending upon where you are in the world, it may not be possible to see the games "live" but perhaps they could be followed online?

There are a multitude of legal and illegal streaming sites online for live viewing.

Usually the ship's internet is too slow for that, or they are outright blocked by the ship's provider to preserve bandwidth.

• 2 weeks later...

The broadcast rights are very costly, particularly for smaller ships like Regent's and Oceania's. Correct business decision. However, if ESPN is available I you should be able to view the matches that are shown on ESPN.

I can tell your from experience that even though ESPN showed the games there is more than one ESPN station and to get the feed for the games is an incremental cost. Even the super bowl often comes in on an ESPN feed but again required an incremental cost to show.

Keith

Like most things each cruise line has a budget and they each make the decision as to how they want to allocate expense. One might spend something on x expense and another one on y expense which is why they all have differences which I always think is nice.

Keith