A new ship for Princess in 2017?

caribill

As a TA I got an email from Princess today. The new ship will be delivered in 2017.

The ship will be a sister ship to the Royal/Regal. It also says that "the ship will include some brand-new innovations to enhance the guest experience". More to come in the next few months.

Hey Jamie:

Remember when we were at the Most Traveled lunch on the Crown that Christmas and the officer we sat with told us that Princess had 2 other ships on order like the "new" Royal! We knew then there would be 3 of those ships from what he said. So this really is no surprise. I knew we were disappointed that there was nothing the size of the Island, but he said they weren't even thinking about that class of ship again.

Have a great coastal cruise. Those are fun.

Hey Jamie:

Remember when we were at the Most Traveled lunch on the Crown that Christmas and the officer we sat with told us that Princess had 2 other ships on order like the "new" Royal! We knew then there would be 3 of those ships from what he said. So this really is no surprise. I knew we were disappointed that there was nothing the size of the Island, but he said they weren't even thinking about that class of ship again.

Have a great coastal cruise. Those are fun.

The third ship on order at that time is what is now the Britannia for P&O. This new, third Princess ship was not in the original three ship order.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Interesting! The officer that day told us that Princess had 3 ships on order then. He was one of the highest officers on the Crown and seemed to know what he was talking about. Who knows! Could have been right. Anyway, it came to fruition regardless.

• 5 months later...
May I ask what is wrong with the Royl/Regal ships ?

I'm a large balcony lover and Regal/Royal just don't fit that bill for us. There are a few larger balconies to be had but they are few and far between. We eat a lot of our meals out there and just enjoy sea days on our deck. There's really not that much room out there for two to put their feet up. I'm sure they're lovely ships, just not for us.

I'm a large balcony lover and Regal/Royal just don't fit that bill for us. There are a few larger balconies to be had but they are few and far between. We eat a lot of our meals out there and just enjoy sea days on our deck. There's really not that much room out there for two to put their feet up. I'm sure they're lovely ships, just not for us.

So, you haven't been on either ship and you have made that judgement?

I haven't been on either yet, but I wish it had a Promenade! I love taking my walks outside and it would be hard for me to cruise without one!

You actually can walk outside on deck 7 with a little longer area on the Regal. The walking track on 18 is great with even better views of the sea.

I don't need to touch a hot stove either to know it's hot. I know what we like and I know where we spend our time. Most of the balconies will not seat two people with their feet up and then a good percentage that will get soot rained on them. Would surely take an idiot to book that no?

I don't need to touch a hot stove either to know it's hot. I know what we like and I know where we spend our time.

I feel the same way about the Celebrity Solstice class ships: as much as I have tried to like them (I can appreciate that they look nice, they're just not my style), and wanted to book a cruise on one (I'd much rather sail in a Millennium-class), there's not much about those newer ships that attract me enough to actually go through with it. Heck, I'd rather torment myself ;) and book another cruise on Ruby Princess (not like that will ever happen again)!

For me, and what I like, the Royal-class ships are as close to perfection as I want in a cruise ship.

:D

I feel the same way about the Celebrity Solstice class ships: as much as I have tried to like them (I can appreciate that they look nice, they're just not my style), and wanted to book a cruise on one (I'd much rather sail in a Millennium-class), there's not much about those newer ships that attract me enough to actually go through with it. Heck, I'd rather torment myself ;) and book another cruise on Ruby Princess (not like that will ever happen again)!

For me, and what I like, the Royal-class ships are as close to perfection as I want in a cruise ship.

Exactly!! You book an inside, the balconies wouldn't be a factor. We have limited vacation time and I won't spend it on something that doesn't turn my crank the same as you. There are things that wouldn't bother me such as the Promenade but the balconies are the deal breaker. My initial comment about please not another Royal/Regal class was I want something shiney and new from Princess too and I'd hoped they'd learnt from some of the backlash but apparently not :(

PS.. Celebrity has a new ship (new design) coming out in 2017 too. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I did see that Celebrity Cruises has a new-build on order. Can't wait to see the first artist renderings of her!

As for learning from the resulting backlash, it's not as if Princess Cruises could whip out a whole new design after Royal Princess debuted, and Regal Princess was probably too far along to change the amiship stair column to make it 'passenger-friendly' - it was much easier adding an above-deck dipping pool, opening up the area behind the lifeboats, and building a windbreak over The Retreat. But the third Royal-class may give them plenty of time to change the center stairs so that it's open for everyone to use from top to bottom.

Exactly!! You book an inside, the balconies wouldn't be a factor. We have limited vacation time and I won't spend it on something that doesn't turn my crank the same as you. There are things that wouldn't bother me such as the Promenade but the balconies are the deal breaker. My initial comment about please not another Royal/Regal class was I want something shiney and new from Princess too and I'd hoped they'd learnt from some of the backlash but apparently not :(

PS.. Celebrity has a new ship (new design) coming out in 2017 too. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Hi Dave

Watch out the the P& O royal class ship this year.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Brittania looks great. I really like how modern she looks on the inside. Will be interesting to compare her when finished to Royal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dave

Watch out the the P& O royal class ship this year.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi Steve,

I've only seen one recent interior picture of Britannia, and from artist renderings she looks more like you're description of a 'Five Star floating hotel' than does Royal Princess, especially the Britannia's atrium, which looks nice, but too much like a giant lobby.

http://www.cruiseandferry.net/article/News/002053/Richmond-designs-Britannia

I did and it was a major disappointment. :( If we ever return it will be in an inside cabin saving the money to apply towards a Caribe Balcony on any other ship. ;)

I can understand small but when it so small that two people can't sit together with 2 cups of coffee and two small plates for muffins it gets to the point of being ridiculous. I should have learned from the previous posts on this board but I didn't thinking it was an exaggeration. It wasn't.

Fool me once....that's enough.

Brittania looks great. I really like how modern she looks on the inside. Will be interesting to compare her when finished to Royal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal Princess is quite elegant and 'Cunard-esque' in appearance in some areas, and the comparisons between her and Britannia's much more modern decor, I imagine, will be like night and day. ;)

I can understand small but when it so small that two people can't sit together with 2 cups of coffee and two small plates for muffins it gets to the point of being ridiculous. I should have learned from the previous posts on this board but I didn't thinking it was an exaggeration. It wasn't.

Fool me once....that's enough.

How is it then, I am reading reviews from other passengers on this forum that they were able to eat breakfast out there, as well as one who had an (albeit cramped) ultimate balcony dinner?

I wasn't a huge fan of the Royal (So. Caribbean, 12/19-29). Just too big and too many people. Seemed to be crowds anywhere you went. And yeah, wasn't wild about how small the balcony was. Obviously this is the wave of the future, though.

Not to say there weren't things I liked. I thought Princess Live! was a great venue. The arrangement of the Horizon Court/Bistro was very well thought out. The exercise track was quite good, but it really was the only place it was practical to walk. I also liked that there were so many places to get coffee drinks and it was a bit of a comedown to then go on the Island, where outside of the restaurants, there's just the badly-named Patisserie.