Anchorage to Seward for Celebrity Millenium in July Best Bus service

Deakydo

We want to take a bus from Anchorage to Seward where we will get our Celebrity Millennium Cruise departing at 8pm July 11th. I know we can take the bus transfer offered by Celebrity but wondered if anyone has experience (positive or negative) taking other bus services such as The Park Connection? Our goal is to take quickest route, most comfortable and good views. Not interested in stopping along the way. Cost of ticket wont be determining factor. Just wondering if there is any good reason not to take what the Cruise line is offering. Thanks :)

if cost isn't a factor, consider the Alaska Railroad. Arrives to Seward around 11am so you have the day to explore the town. Lots to see and do in Seward.

OTherwise, compare schedules of the Park Connection Bus and Seward Buslines and other options. Depending on your activities in Anchorage or Seward, schedule might be a deciding factor.

Edited by mapleleaves

if cost isn't a factor, consider the Alaska Railroad. Arrives to Seward around 11am so you have the day to explore the town. Lots to see and do in Seward.

OTherwise, compare schedules of the Park Connection Bus and Seward Buslines and other options. Depending on your activities in Anchorage or Seward, schedule might be a deciding factor.

I also recommend the train. Probably isn't the cheapest or quickest but it is a great train ride.

I think our main problem with the train is it's just too early for us (6:45am departure) and we are coming in from East Coast day before so it's even earlier EST.. but thanks for your advice.

I think our main problem with the train is it's just too early for us (6:45am departure) and we are coming in from East Coast day before so it's even earlier EST.. but thanks for your advice.

I think there would be a four hour difference for those coming in from the east coast. Darn near lunch time back home when you're boarding the train.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

wrong direction. It would be 10:45am EST.

The Park Connection is a long time, well established well run vendor.

Frankly, with your very short time, it might be worth a little less sleep and the ability to get out and see and do some Alaska activities and sightseeing. There is plenty going on in Seward to take advantage of. And if wildlife is of any interest, a Kenai Fjords boat tour is the jackpot.

As others have indicated your body clock will be on East Coast time so a 6:45 am train probably isn't an issue for you :)

Edited by LEtue

My mom flew out to meet us in Anchorage last year. We had been in Alaska for a week already so our body clocks were fairly well adjusted to Alaska time. We all spent one night in Anchorage and then caught the train to Seward. Mom LOVED it! She wasn't all that sleepy at 6:45am after flying from Atlanta. Your body will still think it's on EDT when you get ready to take the train - on the other end though, you will probably be ready for bed about the time the ship sails.

I would highly recommend the train and then take a Kenai Fjords cruise upon arrival in Seward - gorgeous scenery on the train and then a wildlife bonanza on the Kenai cruise. You return about 5pm and can go straight to the ship - won't be any lines for boarding and probably none in the Oceanview Cafe (if that's where you choose to eat). Plus your room will be ready so you can go straight there and freshen up if you want.

....I would highly recommend the train and then take a Kenai Fjords cruise upon arrival in Seward - gorgeous scenery on the train and then a wildlife bonanza on the Kenai cruise. You return about 5pm and can go straight to the ship - won't be any lines for boarding and probably none in the Oceanview Cafe (if that's where you choose to eat). Plus your room will be ready so you can go straight there and freshen up if you want.
I totally agree. That would be the ideal way to do it, making the best possible use of your time that day.

But I just want to add that if you have any tendency to seasickness, take preventatives before boarding the boat for the Kenai Fjords cruise because the boat passes through one choppy section that comes as an unpleasant surprise for some passengers who are unprepared for it.

Once you get past that brief area though, it is very much worth it for the spectacular wildlife and scenery that await you.

Agree, the train was one of the best we've ever taken. The sightseeing was great, breakfast good & you can walk around. We upgraded to gold star class so we had a tour guide & observation ceiling all the way.

I totally agree. That would be the ideal way to do it, making the best possible use of your time that day.

But I just want to add that if you have any tendency to seasickness, take preventatives before boarding the boat for the Kenai Fjords cruise because the boat passes through one choppy section that comes as an unpleasant surprise for some passengers who are unprepared for it.

Once you get past that brief area though, it is very much worth it for the spectacular wildlife and scenery that await you.

I would second the Dramamine or Bonine if you are susceptible to seasickness. Forgot to mention that since we had smooth sailing the whole time (unusual I guess). If you start taking it at night before you leave home, you should have built up a good tolerance and be more than prepared. I'm a wimp and the seasickness meds make me sleepy even though the label says "non-drowsy". I take it at night and it helps me sleep!

Edited by olemissreb

I am from Alaska and have been to Seward more times than I can count (one of my favorite places on the planet). It's a beautiful drive from Anchorage, but if you aren't interested in stopping, nothing beats the train. Stunning. I very highly recommend you go that route as opposed to being stuck on a bus!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by betty barnacle

I have another vote for you taking the train from Anchorage to Seward. We have driven the route several times but the train was the best. You can see a glacier from the left side of the train that you cannot see from the road.

Here are a few pictures from our train ride to whet your appetite (I hope).

We had the goldstar service on the Alaska Railroad. We really liked sitting up high in that dome car the whole trip.

Here are a couple of pictures of the glacier:

GlacerFromTrain.jpg

GorgeousMtn.jpg

InsideGoldstarService.jpg

MoreTrainViews.jpg

Reflection4.jpg

By the way, the breakfast food on the train was very good also. It was not included in the price of the ticket.

I also totally agree with the person that suggested a Kenai Fjords National Park cruise out of Seward. It was one of the top highlights of our trip in June, 2012. Our trip on Major Marine left at 11:30 and returned at 5:30. That still gives you plenty of time to board the ship. The buffet consisting of salmon, prime rib, rice and other items was an additional price but well worth it. It was very good.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.