Single Occupancy surcharge on HAL

ColumbiaSC

I know there are exceptions, such as for Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam these days in the Mediterranean, but ... what is the "standard" or "routine" surcharge for a solo person booking a Double Occupancy cabin on the ms Amsterdam and the ms Maasdam, to name two of my prime interests. I know it was 50 % on the ms Amsterdam on the World Voyage a year or so ago. What is it now on the ms Maasdam on long voyages and what is it for the 2015 World Voyage on the ms Amsterdam? 1.5 or 1.6 or 1.75 or 2.00?

In my experience, it varies. I had one cruise where my initial booking for an OV was 200%, then later on the single supp decreased for some categories to 150%. I suggest you do a dummy booking on the HAL website for the trips that are of interest to you. That will show you immediately what the current single supp is for those trips.

I know there are exceptions, such as for Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam these days in the Mediterranean, but ... what is the "standard" or "routine" surcharge for a solo person booking a Double Occupancy cabin on the ms Amsterdam and the ms Maasdam, to name two of my prime interests. I know it was 50 % on the ms Amsterdam on the World Voyage a year or so ago. What is it now on the ms Maasdam on long voyages and what is it for the 2015 World Voyage on the ms Amsterdam? 1.5 or 1.6 or 1.75 or 2.00?

As another solo cruiser, I am always interested in single supplements! Let us know what you find out.

Seeing I recently lost my husband, I have become a single cruiser. I may sail with friends but I'll not share a cabin. ;)

Smart lady! There is not enough money in the world to make me share a cabin with friends.

I haven't had a single supp less than 200 percent for years. That said, I usually have a balcony. Pretty soon someone will come along and tell you to look at the total price instead of the sup. Gee, no kidding:D.

Smart lady! There is not enough money in the world to make me share a cabin with friends.

I haven't had a single supp less than 200 percent for years. That said, I usually have a balcony. Pretty soon someone will come along and tell you to look at the total price instead of the sup. Gee, no kidding:D.

I won't sail without a balcony most especially now. I've always enjoyed it but know I will want it as much if not more than ever sailing on my own.

I value my friends and suspect if I were to share with friends of even 25 years, we likely would not have the greatest experience. I'd rather stay home than share. :o

I... what is the "standard" or "routine" surcharge for a solo person booking a Double Occupancy cabin ...? 1.5 or 1.6 or 1.75 or 2.00?

The correct answer used to be that the percentage varied based on cabin category. Inside cabins were generally 150%, suites 200%, and cabins in other cabins were somewhere between the two.

But in recent times it's been 200% even for inside cabins.

The best advice is to figure 200%, and if you find a lesser supplement, do the happy-happy joy-joy dance and book it.

The correct answer used to be that the percentage varied based on cabin category. Inside cabins were generally 150%, suites 200%, and cabins in other cabins were somewhere between the two.

But in recent times it's been 200% even for inside cabins.

The best advice is to figure 200%, and if you find a lesser supplement, do the happy-happy joy-joy dance and book it.

reading this thread and knowing you have been there, the Prinsendam has special single cabins? Is the single supplement more reasonable for these?

No, I am not planning on travelling single but in case it would help the OP (even though I know right now they have other ships in mind) or other singles reading this thread - I thought I should ask.

thanks Ruth if you have a chance to answer.

reading this thread and knowing you have been there, the Prinsendam has special single cabins? Is the single supplement more reasonable for these?

That's an excellent question, seeing as how there are so few single cabins left in the fleet. Once upon a time ships typically had single cabins, and the pricing was interesting.

The Prinsendam has two single outsides, and one single inside cabin; I have stayed in the inside. There was no single supplement, as the cabin was priced for a single in the first place.

The inside was identical to the doubles along the same passageway, with the exception that it had one bed (the beds along that passageway are in an "L" formation, along two walls.) It cost more than the per person/double occupancy rate, but not twice as much. I don't know what the percentage was when I booked it, but am thinking close to 150%.

I am presuming the outsides are priced the same way---that is more than one person, but less than two. That is how it was in "the old days" when HAL ships had single cabins, too. They priced out at about 150% then.

That's an excellent question, seeing as how there are so few single cabins left in the fleet. Once upon a time ships typically had single cabins, and the pricing was interesting.

The Prinsendam has two single outsides, and one single inside cabin; I have stayed in the inside. There was no single supplement, as the cabin was priced for a single in the first place.

The inside was identical to the doubles along the same passageway, with the exception that it had one bed (the beds along that passageway are in an "L" formation, along two walls.) It cost more than the per person/double occupancy rate, but not twice as much. I don't know what the percentage was when I booked it, but am thinking close to 150%.

I am presuming the outsides are priced the same way---that is more than one person, but less than two. That is how it was in "the old days" when HAL ships had single cabins, too. They priced out at about 150% then.

thank you:D a very helpful post (as you always do) - this should help a lot of singles:D

No, I am not planning on travelling single but in case it would help the OP (even though I know right now they have other ships in mind) or other singles reading this thread - I thought I should ask.

thanks Ruth if you have a chance to answer.

I've never understood the single cabins on the Prinsendam. Even after the supplement on a double cabin they are the most expensive cabins in their categories on the ship. I was curious and checked the prices on my 2016 HAL cruises:

Prinsendam 28-day:

Inside $5799pp double, 9,278 (160%) single, 12,699 for the solo cabin.

OV $6,599pp double, 10,558 (160%) single, 14,399 for the solo cabin

Verandah $8,999pp double, 17,998 (200%) single

Suite $12,199pp double, $24,398 (200%) single

Ryndam TA

Inside $1,399pp double, 2,238 (160%) single

OV $1,599pp double, 2,558 (160%) single

Verandah $2,799pp double, 5,598 (200%) single

Suite $4,299pp double, 8,598 (200%) single

It looks like for a lot of cruises the supplement will be 160% without a verandah and and 200% with, but one of my mantras is "every cruise is different".

Roy

I've never understood the single cabins on the Prinsendam. Even after the supplement on a double cabin they are the most expensive cabins in their categories on the ship. I was curious and checked the prices on my 2016 HAL cruises:

Prinsendam 28-day:

Inside $5799pp double, 9,278 (160%) single, 12,699 for the solo cabin.

OV $6,599pp double, 10,558 (160%) single, 14,399 for the solo cabin

Verandah $8,999pp double, 17,998 (200%) single

Suite $12,199pp double, $24,398 (200%) single

Those prices on the solo cabins are outrageous! For less money (more than $2000 less! :eek:)than the inside single you can get an outside across the passageway---a much better cabin. You get the larger bed, a love seat, the window, and an opportunity for an upgrade to a veranda cabin (got one of those upgrades once :D). With some selective planning you can also get the shower instead of the tub, too, so you don't even have to give that up.

One thing I've never understood is why the inside single is not even in the initial pool of available cabins. Sometimes it's withheld from inventory all together.

Why is the single supplement so high? Are they figuring that with only one occupant you will spend less money on board?

Yeah, that's the argument. I'd compare my bill to any couple. There are cheapie singles and cheapie couples.

Why is the single supplement so high? Are they figuring that with only one occupant you will spend less money on board?

I don't find 160% for the insides/outsides outrageous, Carol. Maybe I've just been booking as a solo too long to get upset about that.

The full double for a balcony cabin? Who knows why it's double.

Personally I don't think the high supplement has anything to do with expecting you to spend less on board. Solos tend to get out of the cabin, and when they do the opportunities to spend are greater than for those staying in.

I sailed Alaska in May as a single .... 200%. I am due to sail the Princendam on a 68 day South America .... 150%. Both accomodations were Ocean View.

It depends on the route, the length of cruise and whether or not they feel they have to fill with singles.

Susan

On my cruise on the Eurodam last October, the single supplement was 150% for my outside cabin, Category F.

On our upcoming cruise on the Ryndam in January, the single supplement for my brother's inside cabin, category K is 150%.

I haven't ever paid a single supplement more than 150% for an outside cabin. I have been upgraded to a balcony cabin after paying the single supplement for an outside, but have never paid a single supplement for a balcony, so I do not know what the standard charge is for those.

I appreciate the responses to my query and look forward to reading more. I think this is a topic of concern and interest to many passengers, and it is one of those "mysteries" that needs more light. My TA told me, when asked what I asked in this thread, "It varies." That is true, but some solid examples of WHAT varies is helpful.;)

Don.

I sailed Alaska in May as a single .... 200%. I am due to sail the Princendam on a 68 day South America .... 150%. Both accomodations were Ocean View.

It depends on the route, the length of cruise and whether or not they feel they have to fill with singles.

Susan

I think that's it in a nutshell. If it's a longer cruise Hal is not likely to charge as much single supp because the ship will be harder to fill. I realize this isn't a one size fits all.

It will be interesting to see what HAL does with the new ship. NCL has single cabins in their new builds and Cunard is retrofitting to add them. (We got some literature on the single cabins from Cunard the other day. Maybe they know something about our marriage or health that we don't. ;) )

Edited by POA1

Since my wife passed away I have taken only one cruise so far on a different line and am looking at future HAL cruises. I can't see myself sharing a cabin with a stranger or even most relatives. I have found that generally the fare is doubled but taxes and fees are for only one so it is somewhat less that 200%. I do have a cruise on the Maasdam starting next week and was going to go solo but for just a "few bucks" I decided to take my grandson. We'll see how that works out.

I do not mind paying the single supplement, although I am always happy when it is less than 200%. What I REALLY resent is not receiving the full amount of an advertised OBC or not being allowed to carry on two bottles of wine when I am paying the full freight for two people.