Which ship: Breakaway or Gem?

fstuff1

7 day nyc to Bahamas/FL.

there are 2 ships: Breakaway and Gem

Which one would you pick and why?

Haven't sailed the Gem but the BA was big and beautiful with a lot of activities and resturant choices!:cool: Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

Though I've never been - many seasoned cruisers will put their nose in the air when considering Nassau/Bahamas when choosing a cruise port. Some say they wouldn't bother getting off the ship; so with that in mind the ship becomes an important part of the decision.

You didn't state it, but if you've never cruised before, you'd really have nothing to compare it too - if you have, and both of these ships are leaving from and going to the same place.. I would chose Breakaway.

I will go with the Gem, its smaller and less passengers make the ship feel less crowded compare to the breakaway where lounges for the shows/entertainment can get really crowd very quick making it impossible to get a seat unless you get there early.

I just had this same decision to make. I went on the BA in April, so have picked the Gem. I just wanted different entertainment and such, because, like they said, the ports aren't the best and wanted some different entertainment. I hope I made a good choice because the BA was beautiful.

7 day nyc to Bahamas/FL.

there are 2 ships: Breakaway and Gem

Which one would you pick and why?

I've been on BOTH ships with the SAME itinerary multiple times ... and I would say that it really depends on what you're looking for:

BREAKAWAY

* newer and larger ship

* solo passenger Studio cabins available with Studio Lounge

* better outdoor activities (i.e. ropes course, larger slides, mini-golf, etc.)

* Broadway shows (i.e. Cirque, Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor)

* dedicated entertainment venues (i.e. Fat Cats Jazz/Blues, Headliners Comedy & Dueling Pianos)

* Waterfront promenade with outdoor bars/lounges, dining & gelato

* more options with 24-hr food at O'Sheehans

* easy pool access to larger outdoor buffet at Uptown Grill

* optional Geoffrey Zakarian Ocean Blu and Cake Boss Carlo's Bake Shop

* Moderno Brazilian steakhouse option all-you-can-eat with GREAT salad bar

* FREE Sabrett hot dogs from NYC-styled street cart

* novelty Svedka Ice Bar - only 2 at sea!

* much larger/nicer Splash Academy kids program area on 2 decks

* large Thermal Spa with dry & steam saunas, huge therapy pool, and first-ever Salt Room at sea

GEM

* well-maintained ship and a bit smaller with less passengers

* same great NCL specialty restaurants (i.e. Le Bistro, Cagney's, La Cucina, etc.)

* much nicer *traditional* open pool area than Breakaway

* many fun activities found on most ships (i.e. climbing wall, sports court, deck chess, shuffleboard, aerobics, fitness center, bowling, etc.)

* better PRICE and VALUE than Breakaway ... ;)

So I guess if price doesn't matter ... then I would DEFINITELY go with Breakaway :p

But if it's too much to spend ... then I wouldn't rule out the Gem ... as it's still a beautiful ship and a very nice cruise experience :)

Edited by chiapet

I have been on both (Gem 3xs/Breakaway 1).

Pros for each:

Gem - outside dining at the Great Outdoors in the back of the Buffet, lots of seating around pools and above, martini bar/champagne lounge set up, large lounge with dance floor called Spinnakers, friendliness of staff, less people, more intimate, larger balconies

Breakaway - better food in the buffet, newer, more venues, entertainment options, outside seating on side of ship for restaurant dining, sports activities,

childrens' activities

See which are more important to you. Either is fine. Have done this itinerary at least 6 times--easy cruise to take.

If the price is the same do the breakaway it has more stuff

Gem is great but smaller

I am a seasoned cruiser but still cruise for ports and value

However I know what to expect on a ship so either ship is fine for me as it would come down to price

I have done this itin 2x. Nassau sux unless you go in may or early June and get off the ship early and get to the Atlantis and secure a spot before the hordes. Oh and don't mind paying!!!

That being said it might make sense to have a bigger ship and more stuff onboard in case you stay on the ship in Nassau

Edited by Crusin6

As you can see you are going to get varying degrees of opinions on these ships! You haven't given much information about you, what your interests are and why you are choosing this itinerary. As some have mentioned the Bahamas/Florida route is a bit thin in terms of ports - meaning they are mostly beach experiences (other than the Epcot/Kennedy Space Centre in P. Canaveral).

Unless you really live for the beach and don't care about the ports - this is a good itinerary. If beaches are not your thing than the ship becomes very important - and for many people - they do choose based on the ship and it's amenities.

You have to ask yourself what is most important - smaller ship - less crowded - or larger newer ship - more crowds - but more options in terms of restaurants and entertainment. Of course, that doesn't take into consideration $$.

question on motion on that itinerary for those who have done it. Is there a higher risk of motion sickness on the larger ships? Or, about the same? thanks to everyone for the detailed descriptions!! It's the itinerary I'm considering in the next two years.

And, I've heard about Dolphin Quest in the Bahamas, so that would be something to get off the ship for :)

I agree with all of the posts in comparing both ships.

Breakaway has much better entertainment and outdoor dining in the specialty restaurants.

But the Gem with the Great Outdoors (located in the aft) for breakfast in the morning is one of the nicest parts of the ship.

The Gem also has the Spinnaker lounge which is my favorite for the bands and passenger shows at night. I really missed that on the Breakaway.

Been on both and aside from ports, I would choose the GEM....mainly because it is smaller and more into my style of cruising.

That being said, you can't go wrong with either!! :)

Don

I've been on BOTH ships with the SAME itinerary multiple times ... and I would say that it really depends on what you're looking for:

BREAKAWAY

* newer and larger ship

* solo passenger Studio cabins available with Studio Lounge

* better outdoor activities (i.e. ropes course, larger slides, mini-golf, etc.)

* Broadway shows (i.e. Cirque, Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor)

* dedicated entertainment venues (i.e. Fat Cats Jazz/Blues, Headliners Comedy & Dueling Pianos)

* Waterfront promenade with outdoor bars/lounges, dining & gelato

* more options with 24-hr food at O'Sheehans

* easy pool access to larger outdoor buffet at Uptown Grill

* optional Geoffrey Zakarian Ocean Blu and Cake Boss Carlo's Bake Shop

* Moderno Brazilian steakhouse option all-you-can-eat with GREAT salad bar

* FREE Sabrett hot dogs from NYC-styled street cart

* novelty Svedka Ice Bar - only 2 at sea!

* much larger/nicer Splash Academy kids program area on 2 decks

* large Thermal Spa with dry & steam saunas, huge therapy pool, and first-ever Salt Room at sea

GEM

* well-maintained ship and a bit smaller with less passengers

* same great NCL specialty restaurants (i.e. Le Bistro, Cagney's, La Cucina, etc.)

* much nicer *traditional* open pool area than Breakaway

* many fun activities found on most ships (i.e. climbing wall, sports court, deck chess, shuffleboard, aerobics, fitness center, bowling, etc.)

* better PRICE and VALUE than Breakaway ... ;)

So I guess if price doesn't matter ... then I would DEFINITELY go with Breakaway :p

But if it's too much to spend ... then I wouldn't rule out the Gem ... as it's still a beautiful ship and a very nice cruise experience :)

With that said, I would go with the Breakaway. Because the itinerary is blah, I might stay on the ship in some of the ports, making the ship my destination.