8 PM sailing - Fire drill?

chrismch

Our cruise has a sail date of 8 pm and I am trying to figure out when they do the fire drill so I can book my dinner time. Who has had that sailing time and knows when the fire drill is?

I'm assuming you're asking about the mandatory passenger safety emergency drill aka muster drill. A fire drill is for crew only

We had a recent sailing at 11:30 pm and the mandatory drill was at 5:30, with a repeat the next day for those who were not at the pre-sail drill. Not to worry about dinner as many of the crew, including servers, will be 'working' the drill so everything will wait.

Your cruisw is departing Seward, I assume.

If so, the Muster Drill there is usually between first and second dinner seatings; around 7:15 - 7:45 pm. The whole ship shuts down, so don't worry about your dinner timing. You might need to wear a sweater as it can be cool out on deck.

Does everyone just walk out the MDR's in the middle of a meal? Or do they block out dining during that time? We will be doing anytime dining and were hoping we could have a leisurely dinner.

They won't be taking reservations that conflict with the Muster Drill, so before 7:45pm or after 8pm.

First sitting will be pretty much over by 7:30 pm and second seating starts at 8 pm.

We have been "late" for second seating 8:10 pm, but so was everyone else!

Your cruisw is departing Seward, I assume.

If so, the Muster Drill there is usually between first and second dinner seatings; around 7:15 - 7:45 pm. The whole ship shuts down, so don't worry about your dinner timing. You might need to wear a sweater as it can be cool out on deck.

Now that's a new one that I have never seen, muster between the two settings. How does that impact open seating? I would think some would be half way through dinner.

This thread got me curious, so I had to go and look up our departure/muster drill info from our cruise in 2012.

We took the Kenai Fjords excursion (through HAL) after arriving in Seward from Anchorage. The excursion got back to Seward at 5:30. By the time they figured out the big mess of what busses were going where and who should be on them, we got to the ship around 6:20. Because there were a lot of us (like 3 or 4 busses) arriving basically at the same time, there was a line for check in. We were onboard about 6:45.

We had early seating, so we decided not to go, because the muster was at 7:30. We just dropped off our carry ons in our room and cleaned up some. Went to the muster and then just hit the Lido for dinner afterward.