men's wallets

1of4

DH carries his wallet in a back pocket in the US, but on a cruise the wallet stays on the ship. He carries a small combination money-clip/card-case in a front pocket with a little cash and one low-limit credit card. A higher limit card, more cash, and our passports go in a money belt under his shirt. I carry a different credit card and more cash in a pouch under my blouse.

Edited by catl331

Before a trip to NYC back in the early 90's, Dad read an article that advised him to put some rubber bands around his wallet and to move it to his front pocket. He then put a handkerchief on top of it. He followed that practice until he passed away whether travelling or at home. It got many a comment when he took his wallet out to pay for things, especially in the neighborhood around home.

Did it keep his wallet safe? He felt it did especially one time in Paris when he reached in his front pocket to get the handkerchief and found another hand in there. A teenage boy was trying to lift the wallet and couldn't get it out of the pocket.

When travelling on extended trips, Dad used a money belt, too.

If you are handy with a needle and thread (or know someone who is) you could install " double bags" in the front pockets. I did this to jeans and the regular pocket is still there but there is an internal zipper that open inside to a deeper pocket bag. Someone putting their hand in would hit bottom and come up empty. ( and risk sexual assault charges). I installed it in such a way with practice I can get in quickly without making it obvious.

When we first started traveling throughout Europe, I often wore long, full 'ish skirts with a slip beneath..... that indicates how long ago we started foreign travel. :D

I sewed zipper pocket on some slips and would put some cash, credit card and passport in that pocket. It worked out fabulous.

Several years ago my chiropractor strongly urged me to stop putting my wallet in my back pocket. Doing so throws off your back a bit. Since then I have been putting it in my front pocket. Also when in port I reduce what I carry to the very basics and carry enough cash just for that port.

I carry mine in my back pocket; it's habit. I do place it in my front pocket in places like Rio, Naples, Barcelona, etc. I should probably have it there all the time but I don't, again, out of habit

This is exactly what I do. I too try to move it to my front pocket in places where I feel vulnerable. That said, I momentarily panic when, out of habit, I reach to my back pocket to check and don't find my wallet, even when I know I just put it in my front pocket 30 seconds earlier.

Old habits die hard.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Several years ago my chiropractor strongly urged me to stop putting my wallet in my back pocket. Doing so throws off your back a bit. Since then I have been putting it in my front pocket. Also when in port I reduce what I carry to the very basics and carry enough cash just for that port.

My BIL has a wallet that has every scrap of paper he's ever collected or been given over the last 20 years in it; it's got to be fully 5 inches thick! :eek:

I carry a minimum of cash, DL, 1 credit card and insurance cards. That's it. I leave the rest at home or on the ship. That's here or over there.

...................... That said, I momentarily panic when, out of habit, I reach to my back pocket to check and don't find my wallet, even when I know I just put it in my front pocket 30 seconds earlier.

Old habits die hard.

I know that feeling; then the patting starts until I feel that bad boy (wallet)! ;)

I know that feeling; then the patting starts until I feel that bad boy (wallet)! ;)

Always feel like I'm trying to put out a fire until I find it! :rolleyes:

Edited by 0bnxshs

DH had a Chiropractor once who said he'd be out of business if men stopped carrying heavy wallets in their back pockets. It's been many, many years since my DH did the switch to front pocket and never looked back.

My DH didn't listen to me when I told him to not put his wallet in his back pocket when we were in Florence. He was in a wheelchair most of the time but he didn't want me to have to push him over the cobblestones so he got out of the chair and was walking behind me. The next thing I knew he was almost knocked down because someone picked his pocket and he tried to grab them. He told me he forgot that I told him not to put his wallet in his back pocket. Well he learned his lesson, luckily he didn't have very much money or credit cards in his wallet. The wallet (bought in Florence on one of my previous trips there) was worth more than what they got (about $7 US cash). So learn from him and either have a money pouch you have around your neck and inside your shirt or put it in your front pocket. Pickpockets are everywhere not just in Italy.

:eek:

Edited by Traveling Dot

Ahoy!

Having had my pocket 'picked' on a Lisbon bus several years ago (& another encounter with, say, 'malcontents in Aruba a year after that) I found the following line of trousers / shorts quite helpful for our further sojourns:

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex-viewall.shtml

The trousers and shorts run small (order a size up) but the designs are great.

Needless to say, be sure to not wear any sort of expensive jewlery and keep your camera (with wrist strap) by your side versus dangling or simply hanging around your neck.

Wearing your travel pack / purse forward with your arm through a strap is advised in close situations (subway, bus, crowded ceremonies. etc).

Wallet: keep just a couple of credit cards and, and a few bucks for drinks, a meal & souvenirs depending on the port stop.

Have a Wonderful Time!

Bob

When I'm home, I carry my wallet in my back pocket, but when in the Middle East, Asia, or vacationing in the Caribbean, it's in my front pocket. When going out and about I carry a small card/ID wallet that has room for a few folded bills. If I have to carry more than that, its a money belt under the shirt (button up or polo over a t-shirt), and looped through my belt, so the shirt will cover it.

I read somewhere that if you put an eleastic band around your wallet it stops pick pockts because they can't slip it out of your pocket easily.

I'm constantly surprised by people that carry think wallets with ALL their cash and cards in it.
I never have all my things in the one place. I only carry enough money for the day and maybe one card.I always have a small material sleeve under my clothes with a credit or debit card and some cash. That way if you do get robbed you have backup.

A friend of mine was pick poketed in Cuba last year. He went to the police station and was arrested for being a vagrant (he had no money, passport etc) and spent 12 days in Jail. He only got our because he begged them to let him contact his family.

I have a traveller's wallet (maybe from Magellan) that is woven nylon and has a chain, like a trucker's wallet but much smaller. Holds minimum cards, ID, insurance cards, and some cash. Wallet goes into front pocket when ashore, chain wraps around belt. The money compartment zips shut, and the whole thing folds over and seals with Velcro, so no one could discreetly slip it open.

My husband always carries his old discarded wallet in his back pocket, filled with some pieces of scrap paper as a "decoy". We were pickpocketed TWICE on the train in Naples, and this is what they got!! The real wallet is in the front pocket, but the fake one is obvious!!

There is also a product "pick pocket proof pants" by Clothing Arts. That has a series of zippers, buttons etc. that inhibit pickpockets. I don't know if mine ever deterred an attempt but I can say that they are darned hard to get into . A little pricy but great fabric and fit.:D

Bob

Thank you everyone. I have gotten some fantastic information. DH owns two pairs of Scotvest shorts and I am ordering him a front pocket wallet and the one Sapper1 suggested - one for everyday and one for travel.

My DH is one of those men that stuffs every piece of paper he comes across in his wallet and then can't sit on it because it is so thick...:mad: I have never understood this but I now I will get him the front pocket wallet and hopefully he will adapt.

Evolution is a slow process....:rolleyes:

[quote name='KirkNC']I dont carry my wallet at all in Europe. I take one credit card, one debit card and my cash and carry them in a small change like purse in my top pocket in my shirt (which has a Velcro seal).[/QUOTE]
I do the same thing but utilize the sock on my left foot for storage. In all our trips to Europe not once have I had my sock picked. LOL!

[quote name='1of4']I am interested in opinions and practices of North American men while in Europe (or anywhere other than home) - do you still carry your wallet in a back pocket or do you change your habit and put it someplace else? :confused:

I am asking because I saw a man carrying a leather zippered "pouch" about 6" by 9" in size (estimating here) with a leather strap that went around his wrist while we were in Niagara Falls, Ontario on the weekend. His wife was carrying her purse.

It just made me think that it looked more secure than carrying a wallet in a back pocket, like my Dh. It didn't fit into the "man purse" as described on a Seinfeld episode![/QUOTE]

My husband wears shirts with flap-over button or snap chest pockets and keeps his wallet there. No problems, nothing extra to carry.

[quote name='1of4']Thank you everyone. I have gotten some fantastic information. DH owns two pairs of Scotvest shorts and I am ordering him a front pocket wallet and the one Sapper1 suggested - one for everyday and one for travel.

My DH is one of those men that stuffs every piece of paper he comes across in his wallet and then can't sit on it because it is so thick...:mad: I have never understood this but I now I will get him the front pocket wallet and hopefully he will adapt.

Evolution is a slow process....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The night before our trips we have a wallet changing ceremony and I get to vet every item that goes in my husband's cruise wallet. The volume of "stuff" is ruthlessly culled. :D