Which of the following itineraries would you select and why (Caribbean)?

Arctic Ace

Hi!

We haven't never been in the Caribbean so we would like to hear you comments and suggestions about where should we go in our first Caribbean trip. We have planned to have 5 or 7 nights trip. Five nights would be ideal to have some extra days in Florida, but with 7 nights trip we might see more Caribbean. Basically we like more sightseeing than just relax on the beach.

A) Which following itineraries would you choose and why?

B) What are the most interesting places to visit and what to avoid?

C) Is it worth so spend more to balcony staterooms than ocean view/inside cabin?

D) Does cruise line matter in these trips (MSC vs. Carnival vs. ...) ?

Some interesting routes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 1: Carribean Princess (5-nights-western)

2014-princess.PNG

Option 2: Vision of Seas (5-nights-Western)

2014-vision.PNG

Option 3: MSC Divina (7-nights-Western)

Q: This is a new ship but is one day at Great Stirrup Cay is waste of time (or is it)?

2014-msc.PNG

Option 4: Carnival Glory (7-nights-Western)

2014-glory.PNG

Option 5: Norwegian Getaway (7-nights-Eastern)

- Three sailing days doubts...

- New 2014 ship attracts...

2014-getaway.PNG

Maybe Option A: Carnival Breeze (8-nights-Eastern)

- This might be too long + three sailing days doubts...

2014-breeze.PNG

Edited by Arctic Ace

I like option 4 or 5. We have sailed Carnival Glory twice & she is a fine ship. Never had an inside cabin, OV or balcony for us.

I research the ports & then make a decision on which cruise appeals to me the most.

MSC is the only 1 we haven't cruise with. The other cruise lines are all good in their own way.

Southern Caribbean ports are my favorite! I could sail there every yr.

Betty :)

Actually, I'm not all that crazy about the ports on any of them, but the Carnival Glory would be my 1st choice, only because it's 7 days and honestly, anything shorter is just not enough time to explore and enjoy all a cruise ship has to offer. The Princess ship would be my 1st choice as far as the line, but Carnival is a pretty close 2nd and the two more days would make it my 1st choice. We will NEVER sail on NCL again, and that's all I'm going to say about that. MSC....it's OK. A lot of Europeans aboard and a lot of the things the ship did catered more to the "European style", not that it was bad, it was just "different". It's been a while since our MSC ship, it was in the winter and 10 days, so demographics could have been a lot different based on that. We've been on all of the lines you've mentioned most several times and all, at least twice. As far as the cabin selection that's a very personal choice. Some folks would say they would never sail in anything other then a balcony cabin, others would say they never would spring for the additional $$$$ for one. As far as the ports, there are more similarities then differences and if you've never been to any of them, they all will be a nice experience. Don't over obsess........no matter which you choose, if you go wanting to have a wonderful cruise experience and a great time.....you will!

I'd probably choose #4; possibly #6, mostly because 1. They are longer cruises

2. On #4, at least, we have only been to a couple of those places once, versus multiple times to some of the other ports.

My real favorite is almost any southern Caribbean route, although this is more difficult in 7 days--#6 does go further south.

Princess for best ship, itinerary including St. Thomas and St. Maarten for best ports.

Didn't you see anything on Celebrity or Holland America? If pricing is your primary concern, bear in mind that you get what you pay for.

Depending on budget, you probably should consider an outside, but not a balcony. I would avoid an inside unless the savings made if close to mandatory - it tends to be claustrophobic.

Thank you of your answers! It's so difficult select which one to choose :).

Didn't you see anything on Celebrity or Holland America?

Yes, we checked Celebrity and Holland America, but it seems that they don't cruise to Caribbean before October?

Edited by Arctic Ace

Arctic Ace: Be so kind as to update us on your decision when you make it. And also write a cruise report. Thank you.

In the end all of the cruise lines are pretty much comparable, with each line havng its own twists, and they go to the same ports. Whether you will have a good time or not depends mostly on you and your frame of mind. We happen to love sea days, but only you will know how you want to spend your time on the ship and in ports. But the smartest course in destinations may be to head for a beach or take a tour. As first-timers in the Caribbean, all of this will be new to you; some of us veterans are world-weary because there is a certain sameness to Caribbean destinations.

How you spend your money is also up to you. We have done 30+ cruises on all main lines, including Costa and MSC. Those two are perfectly OK, with their own idiosyncracies, but not our cup of tea. Our most recent five cruises have been on Carnival and HAL. Our next will be on RCL.

I think that Carnival gets a bad rap. It is a budget cruise line that does many things very well. For example, many ships have an intriguing value cabin category called 4K. It issold as an inside. But it is in fact an OV (mostly with the view of lifeboats) but with openeable french doors. In other words, it is a balcony cabin without a balcony, containing a full-sized couch in addition to a nice bed configuration.

We have another 4K booked for March. We like this roomy cabin category so much that we have downgraded from balcony on itineraries with a cold climate. When it's chilly, a balcony makes little difference.

Which brings me to my point: To me it makes little difference whether we are in a balcony or inside, if the cabin is of good size. That's why I constantly pore over deck plans. We'll have our first suite in December, but we see little added value in OV unless the price is compelling and gives us a roomier cabin.

Our best wishes to Arctic Ace. Have a wonderful Midsummer fest.

Arctic Ace: Be so kind as to update us on your decision when you make it. And also write a cruise report. Thank you.

In the end all of the cruise lines are pretty much comparable, with each line havng its own twists, and they go to the same ports. Whether you will have a good time or not depends mostly on you and your frame of mind. We happen to love sea days, but only you will know how you want to spend your time on the ship and in ports. But the smartest course in destinations may be to head for a beach or take a tour. As first-timers in the Caribbean, all of this will be new to you; some of us veterans are world-weary because there is a certain sameness to Caribbean destinations.

How you spend your money is also up to you. We have done 30+ cruises on all main lines, including Costa and MSC. Those two are perfectly OK, with their own idiosyncracies, but not our cup of tea. Our most recent five cruises have been on Carnival and HAL. Our next will be on RCL.

I think that Carnival gets a bad rap. It is a budget cruise line that does many things very well. For example, many ships have an intriguing value cabin category called 4K. It issold as an inside. But it is in fact an OV (mostly with the view of lifeboats) but with openeable french doors. In other words, it is a balcony cabin without a balcony, containing a full-sized couch in addition to a nice bed configuration.

We have another 4K booked for March. We like this roomy cabin category so much that we have downgraded from balcony on itineraries with a cold climate. When it's chilly, a balcony makes little difference.

Which brings me to my point: To me it makes little difference whether we are in a balcony or inside, if the cabin is of good size. That's why I constantly pore over deck plans. We'll have our first suite in December, but we see little added value in OV unless the price is compelling and gives us a roomier cabin.

Our best wishes to Arctic Ace. Have a wonderful Midsummer fest.

I used to like Carnival but the last ship I was on last summer had a huge video screen blaring nonsense on the screen all day long instead of a caribbean pool band. I can't see going on Carnival again.

Given the options I would pick 5. I like the southern islands and eastern over the western Caribbean.

Edited by Karysa

I would choose ship over itinerary in the Caribbean. You have some very old ships - Vision and Glory. ( I just looked it up and Glory is not as old as I thought, 11 years old, but she looked old when I sailed her in 2007). and you have some very new ships - Getaway, Divina and Breeze. I would choose a newer ship.

We LOVE the Royal Caribbean product, but would hesitate to sail on Vision because she is an old ship.

We also would choose a cruise that's at least 7 days. Anything less feels too rushed.

Private islands are the best part of an itinerary, in my opinion. They are perfect beach days, in beautiful surroundings. Very relaxing!

Have you looked at other Royal Caribbean options such as Freedom of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Allure or Oasis of the Seas? All sailing the Caribbean during the summer. Any of those would be our first choice.

I used to like Carnival but the last ship I was on last summer had a huge video screen blaring nonsense on the screen all day long instead of a caribbean pool band. I can't see going on Carnival again.

Given the options I would pick 5. I like the southern islands and eastern over the western Caribbean.

Not all Carnival ships have the giant screen.

I don't know you or your family and your likes or dislikes so I will answer this as if these were my options to choose from for a cruise. If price were no object and the timing for all fit my schedules I would choose in the following order:

1. Carnival Breeze. Why? 8 nights, Newer ship that I have not been on yet, 3 ports that I have not been to yet and CCL room size. For 8 nights I would get a balcony or at a minimum on CCL an OV. CCL is one of DH's favorite lines.

2. NCL Getaway. Why? 7 nights, Newer ship that I have not been on yet, Saint Maartin that DH likes, St. Thomas that I like, Nassau would be a day on the ship to enjoy it while everyone else got off, and the entertainment. If I had a wish list I would get a balcony on Getaway as the inside rooms on NCL are tight. NCL is one of my favorite lines.

3. MSC Divina. Why? 7 nights and because I have not cruised with MSC and would like to try them. I would also like to try Great Stirrup Cay as I love private islands and have not been to this one yet.

4. Vision of the Seas. Why? Because I have not cruised with RCCL yet and would like to try them someday and it has 2 of my favorite ports, Roatan and Cozumel.

5. CCL Glory. Why? We have sailed Glory once before and would love to try her again with the 2.0 changes. We just did this itinerary last October which is why she is so far down on my list when compared to the other options...plus having sailed her before.

6. Carribean Princess. Why? Princess is last on our list. We just sailed Ruby Princess in March and it was my least favorite cruise to date. The average demographic on our cruise was 65-80 (we are in our late 40's), the anytime dining room is not set up well for tables for 2 and we had an unpleasant experience with that, with the balconies you are either looking down on other balconies or if you are below have people looking down at you, and finally the chairs on the balcony were the most uncomfortable I have had on a ship. One of my main reasons for getting a balcony is to avoid the pools and enjoy the privacy of our own space. I felt like we wasted the extra money we spent on a balcony because I couldn't sit out there for more than 10 minutes without getting a back ache....entertainment was good though.

Not all Carnival ships have the giant screen.

Thank you. Good to know. The Valor did not have one when we sailed it in 2008 but did have it in 2014. Are all ships getting this upgrade? (term used very loosely)!

Option #1 - Caribbean Princess with a balcony cabin would be my choice. Nice ports of call on a cruise line we like and doing a roundtrip out of Ft. Lauderdale rather than Miami is a big plus to us. :)

LuLu

Thank you of your comments! Could you please tell me more about why you like more about Ft. Lauderdale vs. Miami? If we would select Ft. Lauderdale, on what part of Ft. Lauderdale we should book a hotel?

Thank you of your comments! Could you please tell me more about why you like more about Ft. Lauderdale vs. Miami? If we would select Ft. Lauderdale, on what part of Ft. Lauderdale we should book a hotel?

We usually fly into FLL whether we are sailing from FLL or POM since it usually a much cheaper flight for us and we like stay at the Embassy Suites FLL. If we are sailing from POM we take the SAS shuttle at $12 pp each way.

Fort Lauderdale airport is just minutes away from the port. It is a much more manageable airport to fly into than Miami, which has been a chaotic mob scene every time I've been there. On the other hand, Fort Lauderdale airport tends to get tangled up if there are too many passengers funneling through- you could check to see how many ships will be disembarking on the days you might consider. Of course, before the heavy winter season, it is not likely to be too much of a problem- but for Saturday or Sunday in March, when thousands of beach tourists might be joining thousands of disembarking cruisers. --- forget it.

We have visited Cozumel and didn't like it at all. We found the shop keepers there way to aggressive and we felt quite uneasy for our safety. Many of the shop keepers would block my wife and invade her personal space. Having people scream out to you from the other side of the side to come and shop in their store was not pleasant for us. We quickly turned back to the ship and spent the day on the ship instead. We will not be returning to Cozumel again.

I have also heard from friends who have visited Jamaica that the experience can also be unpleasant for cruise travelers. Again, very aggressive sales tactics and the area is known for having a very well established drug trade.

Nassau is also known for having a very high crime rate and I would suggest that you carefully research the area before visiting. We haven't visited yet but avoid cruises that have it as a port.

Option 1 for time in Florida. We usually spend a day or two in Florida before and after a cruise.

We like Fort Lauderdale- stay at the Holiday Inn Express which is within walking distance of restaurants and shops and not far from cruise port or beach.

For sightseeing, we would choose your last option which includes Aruba and Curacao- bit that is a longer cruise.

We have only had a balcony cabin 2 times out of 64 cruises

Hmmh' date=' when browsing Carnival Glory Ocean View category, we noticed that there is a Obstructed View option which [b']have higher fee [/b]than normal Ocean view category. Is this a system mistake or why these cabins have Obstructed view + have higher fees?

2014-glory-obv.PNG

2014-glory-obv2.PNG

Edited by Arctic Ace