Explorer Deck 6

ok, so we stayed on deck 7 or 8 last time and this time are looking at a cabin on deck 6 aft port side. I dont expect much noise from the dining room below (hoping anyway). Done some searches on here and it says the view from the balcony when sitting is somewhat obstructed by the steel of the ship. So when we are sitting will we be able to see the ocean going by? It's one of my favorite things about cruising.

There are cabins on 7 and 8 too; the bump out ones seem to be too close to the elevators and stairs for me.

ok, so we stayed on deck 7 or 8 last time and this time are looking at a cabin on deck 6 aft port side. I dont expect much noise from the dining room below (hoping anyway). Done some searches on here and it says the view from the balcony when sitting is somewhat obstructed by the steel of the ship. So when we are sitting will we be able to see the ocean going by? It's one of my favorite things about cruising.

There are cabins on 7 and 8 too; the bump out ones seem to be too close to the elevators and stairs for me.

Go for the bump out staterooms on any of the decks 7, 8, or 9. There is no elevator noise issue. You will have a limited view when seated from a deck 6 balcony.

I totally agree. I'd grab a hump cabin on 7, 8, or 9 over a deck 6 cabin any day.

To be further away from the entrance door to the deck pick a cabin ending in 12-18 rather than a 20 - 24. On the printed deck plans the space between the elevator and the stairs is where the deck entrance is. The space at the other end of the elevators is not open to the cabin area at all.

So the ones from the hump center toward forward are better than the ones from center hump aft? I can get 8316 or 26. . .

JUST stayed in 8618 in MAY. ZERO noise and balcony was terrific. Yoou aren't that near the elevators since the Internet café is in between.

So the ones from the hump center toward forward are better than the ones from center hump aft? I can get 8316 or 26. . .

Not necessarily better, but a bit farther from the opening to the elevator lobby. You will also have a view forward, but less of a view aft. Some people say the forward hump staterooms have more wind, but we have not felt that way.

Not necessarily better, but a bit farther from the opening to the elevator lobby. You will also have a view forward, but less of a view aft. Some people say the forward hump staterooms have more wind, but we have not felt that way.

Right, that's what I meant. I prefer to be farther from the elevators and stairs. The deckplan I'm seeing online doesn't show where the opening is--just looks like one big open space by the bumpouts and elevators and stairs. Glad I asked this question because I would have chosen bump out aft hoping for less traffic since there are fewer cabins aft than forward.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Right, that's what I meant. I prefer to be farther from the elevators and stairs. The deckplan I'm seeing online doesn't show where the opening is--just looks like one big open space by the bumpouts and elevators and stairs. Glad I asked this question because I would have chosen bump out aft hoping for less traffic since there are fewer cabins aft than forward.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

My experience is that the the opening to the elevator/stair lobby is closest to where they show the forward edge of the stairs on the deck plan.

JUST stayed in 8618 in MAY. ZERO noise and balcony was terrific. Yoou aren't that near the elevators since the Internet café is in between.

Huh? The Internet cafe is in the center, between the elevator banks, NOT between the elevators and the cabin corridor.

:confused:

Ok, I’m going to preface this by saying…I’m confused.

I’m scheduled on the Explorer January 2015. Currently I have an OV on deck 6. I’m hoping prices fall and I can upgrade. If they don’t, I’ll be upgrading to a balcony anyway. From what I read, you all prefer decks 7-9 balconies, right? And, which rooms in particular? To be completely honest…I don’t know what hump means. Nor do I know what side is the port.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ok, I’m going to preface this by saying…I’m confused.

I’m scheduled on the Explorer January 2015. Currently I have an OV on deck 6. I’m hoping prices fall and I can upgrade. If they don’t, I’ll be upgrading to a balcony anyway. From what I read, you all prefer decks 7-9 balconies, right? And, which rooms in particular? To be completely honest…I don’t know what hump means. Nor do I know what side is the port.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Port is the left side of the ship when facing the front of the ship.

Balconies on deck 6 have a full metal wall on the outside balcony wall, so there's less visibilty. Deck 10 staterooms are right under the pool deck, so there's some potential for noise from above. That's why many prefer decks 7, 8, or 9.

Thanks Bob. Let me show my ignorance one more time. I had a room on the right side of the ship (facing forward) on my last cruise, and we were facing the port each time. Is that not usually the case?

I realize this is a confusing statement, but the port side of the ship is not the side that always faces the port. It's just the left side when facing forward. The starboard side is the right side when facing forward.

Which side of the ship actually faces the port when docking is unpredicable. Can be either side based on a number of factors that the Captain takes into account.

Huh? The Internet cafe is in the center, between the elevator banks, NOT between the elevators and the cabin corridor.

:confused:

My Mistake, you are correct. Most of the time I end up walking through it from taking the first elevator I COULD FIND. lol