Tell me about Salerno

AliceS

No idea why your cruise ship company is going to Salerno, but consider it a wonderful opportunity to visit some of the most scenic Greek temple ruins in the world.

Catch a train (station was one block from where our Azamara shuttle bus dropped us off downtown) and go to Paestum for the day. Overlooking the water and with a nifty little museum as well. Check it out in Rick Steves' Italy guidebook. Glorious!

In recent years more ships have started docking in Salerno port instead of Naples -- not sure if it's due to congestion in Naples port (with so many ships calling there) or if some ships have decided to port in Salerno to make some do-it-yourself options a bit more difficult. :cool:

As Pam rightfully says, Paestum is a great option from Salerno -- it's very difficult to see it on a port day from Naples. Also Salerno is closer to the Amalfi Coast, for those interested in that as a day tour.

However, it's less convenient for getting Capri, getting to Pompeii or Herculaneum on your own, and of course it's farther from Naples sights like the wonderful Archaeological Museum.

I suspect there are a number of factors in choosing Salerno over Naples - many of them financial ;) Naples is a very busy port and I would imagine that port fees are high, whereas Salerno is in the process of building a new port terminal (and hotel/shopping complex next to the port) and keen to attract cruise ships to the town.

As cruisemom rightly points out, it makes some DIY options less easy - and therefore enables the ships to sell more excursions :rolleyes: However, Salerno is a great jumping off point for the Amalfi coast with regular ferry services from town to Amalfi and Positano and, as already pointed out, it's the ideal place from which to explore Paestum - and don't forget to visit the buffalo mozzarella farms in the very close vicinity of Paestum.

Although DIY Herculaneum is difficult from Salerno, Pompei isn't that much more difficult than from Naples. The local train from Naples will drop you at Pompei Scavi station - just a few hundred yards to the site. Whereas the train from Salerno will drop you at Pompei town which is around 20 minutes walk. However, given the choice, I would prefer to stroll along the very pleasant Lungomare to the station in Salerno and then from Pompei to the site than battle with the traffic and the noise in Naples - which is still at least a 15 minute walk from the port to the station - and could be longer depending where you are docked.

And for those who just want to have a chilled day Salerno is a lovely little town with really nice, welcoming people - unlike the manic bustle and hassle of Naples. But if it's Naples you want, that too is only 35 mins on the train from Salerno

Edited by Bobal

Is there a bus service to Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento from Salerno that can be taken along the coast? If so, where should I look please?

Yes there is - it's called SITA bus. Here is the website: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it (scroll down to the bottom for PDF timetables). Basically there's a bus that takes you from Salerno to Amalfi and then another one that takes you from Amalfi to Positano, and so on.

There is also a ferry that will take you from Salerno to Amalfi, Amalfi to Positano, or directly from Salerno to Positano... and then back again.

Many thanks for this information.

I guess the cruise ships all berth at the same place in Salerno - is the bus station nearby and similarly the ferry dock?

Salerno is an industrial port which you cannot walk out of, but have to take the port bus. Last year the port bus dropped you right by the train station and the ferry terminal. This year, the bus dropped us over 1km away from that stop - not sure if this was temporary or not. If you are dropped at the new stop it's a 15-20 minute pleasant walk all along the seafront to the ferry terminal and the station is about 200 yds from there. Some buses leave from the train station and some from Via Vinciprova, which is a little further on. You buy your tickets from newsagents/tabachi and, in general, they will speak good English so will be able to advise you where the bus goes from.

Additionally they have very good people from the Tourist Office working in the port just as you get off the ship, who will be able to help.

A word of advice, if you are prone to travel sickness the bus may not be the best way to go, unless you are set on experiencing Amalfi coast roads :eek: I would take the ferry, which is quicker and a lovely way to see the coastline, although it is more expensive.

Edited by Bobal

I will jump in with my humble opinion. We do not think that Salerno is a particularly good cruise port when compared to Naples. It is true that Paestum is a great option from Salerno, but Paestum is only of interest to those that enjoy ruins and going there means spending most of your cruise day in a very rural area with not much else to offer. As to taking a boat from Salerno to Amalfi (or even Positano) there are only limited boats (on a very limited schedule) and these boats do not go along the most picturesque part of the Amalfi Coast which is actually the area between Sorrento and Positano.

From Naples there are just loads of options which is what makes it one of the better ports in Italy. Although we usually are supportive of cruise lines going to new and alternate ports, we just do not think that Salerno is a particularly good choice. DW and I spent the better part of entire day just driving around and exploring Salerno (we did this while spending a week on the coast in Praiano) and were unimpressed. And as to Paestum, if one wants to explore ruins we would rate both Pompeii and Herculaneum far higher in terms of tourist interest and overall quality.

Hank

From Naples there are just loads of options which is what makes it one of the better ports in Italy. Although we usually are supportive of cruise lines going to new and alternate ports, we just do not think that Salerno is a particularly good choice. DW and I spent the better part of entire day just driving around and exploring Salerno (we did this while spending a week on the coast in Praiano) and were unimpressed. And as to Paestum, if one wants to explore ruins we would rate both Pompeii and Herculaneum far higher in terms of tourist interest and overall quality.

Hank

While I agree with you 100% about Naples versus Salerno, I also feel it necessary to pontificate a bit on your last statement.

I don't think it's really possible to compare the ruins at Paestum with the ruins at Pompeii and Herculaneum. They are completely different. The Paestum temples were built around 550 BC -- making them already more than 600 years old when Pompeii and Herculaneum were destroyed by Vesuvius. Also, they were built by Greek colonists, so they are essentially Greek, not Roman.

Considering that they were not buried under protective lava and ash, they are remarkably well-preserved. Lots of people spend far more time going to see ruins of Greek temples that are less complete. (Dare I say the Parthenon is one of these? :eek: Or even the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion?)

Finally, there is an excellent museum on site that provides a lot of context for the site (as well as some fascinating and rare tomb paintings), which is more than one can say for either Pompeii or Herculaneum, where one must travel back to Naples to see the -- admittedly wonderful -- objects from those sites.

In terms of what's near the site -- there are a couple of pretty good "slow food" restaurants and several buffalo mozzarella farms and stands. I'd think that would be something that might appeal to you and to others. We were originally going to try one of these restaurants but were so fascinated by the site that we did not want to stop and take the time to eat!

Salerno is actually a great port for those who are comfortable driving a rental car; with that freedom you can check out a winery in the area, a mozzarella farm, Paestum, etc. I agree wholeheartedly about the museum at Paestum, we spent a couple of hours there.

Salerno is easy to drive in and from, much more so than the larger cities.

While I agree with you 100% about Naples versus Salerno, I also feel it necessary to pontificate a bit on your last statement.

I don't think it's really possible to compare the ruins at Paestum with the ruins at Pompeii and Herculaneum. They are completely different. The Paestum temples were built around 550 BC -- making them already more than 600 years old when Pompeii and Herculaneum were destroyed by Vesuvius. Also, they were built by Greek colonists, so they are essentially Greek, not Roman.

Considering that they were not buried under protective lava and ash, they are remarkably well-preserved. Lots of people spend far more time going to see ruins of Greek temples that are less complete. (Dare I say the Parthenon is one of these? :eek: Or even the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion?)

Finally, there is an excellent museum on site that provides a lot of context for the site (as well as some fascinating and rare tomb paintings), which is more than one can say for either Pompeii or Herculaneum, where one must travel back to Naples to see the -- admittedly wonderful -- objects from those sites.

In terms of what's near the site -- there are a couple of pretty good "slow food" restaurants and several buffalo mozzarella farms and stands. I'd think that would be something that might appeal to you and to others. We were originally going to try one of these restaurants but were so fascinated by the site that we did not want to stop and take the time to eat!

We always enjoy when you "pontificate" here on CC :). While we did personally enjoy driving down to Paestum (its actually quite scenic along the coast) we were not as impressed, as you, by the ruins. But we will admit that forty plus years of extensive travel might have made us a bit difficult to please :). When you talk about buffalo mozzarella you are speaking our language as I would walk 2 miles (or drive for an hour) for a really good caprese salad. But, we have often had great mozzarella only to be horribly disappointed with the tomatoes. DW will go to her grave still wondering about my passion for a great tasting tomato, but that is a story for another day.

Hank

Well, we admittedly are ruins people, but for sheer physical beauty due to their location, we never have visited ruins with a lovelier setting than those of Paestum. Also, a lot easier on your feet than the cobbles of Pompeii; also a lot less crowded!:)

And having the museum right there also is a plus. We had a gap of several years between our visit to Pompeii and our visit to the Archaeological Museum in Naples. (Our cruise line usually ports in either Sorrento or Amalfi.)

Edited by CintiPam