Aurora Borealis

We have seen the Northern Lights several times,  including on a Vision TA in 2017 which included Iceland in the itinerary. We will be on the Brilliance  in September 2020 which includes Iceland and Greenland and hope to see them again. 

This is is a photo we received on the Vision sailing....

The Northern Lights  are always magical but the our land trip to Iceland had even more beautiful sightings than from a ship.  

EC33BF15-657E-49D4-B513-0A93970E88F1.jpeg

Edited by kccrzr

On 8/30/2019 at 12:06 PM, Annicruise2014 said:

Came across this today while doing some research.  After 5 years I get to cross this off my bucket list!!!

IT'S FINALLY HERE! We are sailing in 2 weeks on Ovation to Alaska.  I saw in early August on social media a picture of the Northern lights from The Ovation of the Seas.  Not holding my breath but fingers are crossed!!!

The only problem you may have is that the moon will be near full.  It is my understanding that the only real time to see it is when the it is a new moon and the sky is dark.  I just saw info on this site:  https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

It is information from the university of Fairbanks.  I have my fingers crossed for you all.  We are on Ovation starting Friday.

I saw them one evening in Iceland.  I was there for work.

I had dinner with 2 others, then we walked down to the port.  They were playing.

We watched for a "short while" when I realized I was quite chilly.

I checked my watch, and we had been standing there watching for almost an hour.

Magical.

On 6/18/2014 at 1:46 PM, Annicruise2014 said:

Has anyone been on any cruise and seen the Northern lights from the cruise ship? What ship and what itinerary were you on?

Seeing the northern lights is on my bucket list, I thought I'd see if 2 vacations in one would be possible.

Thanks,

There are cruises in the winter in Norway.  Hurtigruten and Aida do them for sure.  We flew to Tromso Norway last February, and did a car chase of the northern lights and we saw them.  I think at a place like Tromso, you are likely to see them 90% of the nights in the winter.  Our guide told us in February that only 3 nights had he not been able to find them with his clients. There was an Aida cruise ship in harbor in Tromso both nights we were there.  Obviously, they were fufilling bucket lists for their clients.

jc