Aurora Borealis

I have seen the Northern lights but in Iceland in winter and not on a cruise.

I doubt it would be pleasant cruising that far north in winter. Also, because it doesn't get really dark in summer, you can't see the lights at night.

I see 2 vacations on your horizon........

:D

On Vision of the Seas 7 night Baltic cruise from Stockholm in 2012. In St Petersburg on July 30th departing 11.59pm as we sailed we were on the balcony and had a wonderful though unexpected show. :)

I was on Adventure of the Seas going to Russia and the Baltics. People paid £250 per person to go on a long excursion to see the Northern Lights and they didn't see them.

Those of us who stayed on the ship had the most magnificent view ever !

No I'm lying - whoops ! Sorry. It was a Cruise & Maritime sailing :-)

Edited by delirious9876

On two of my three Alaska Cruises we've had the most magnificent view of the Northern Lights. Both cruises were the last September North to South Cruises. Both were during late dining... on both the captain made an announcement to head to the upper decks. We left the dining room and headed up and he turned off the deck lights. It was dark and the sky was magnificent. We stayed up there about 20 minutes... headed back to the dining room to end dinner... and after dinner back out for a night of a fantastic show. We found lounge chairs, blankets and towels were offered, drinks flowed... and we had perfect Aurora Borealis party.

On our May/June Cruise Tour to Alaska we had almost 24 hour daylight... and were lucky enough not only to see Denali but the entire mountain range. The hotel staff was outside in amazement (about 2 in the morning, total daylight) as we took picture after picture of this glorious range. They told us that it never clears enough to see the entire range... at least not very often. Most people that go to Alaska never get to see Denali... we were blessed! If you have never been to Alaska, it is the one cruise you should do. If you can, do the land tour also... I have always said if someone said you can do only one more cruise, one more trip... I'd go back to Alaska. It is spectacular... if you miss the northern lights, you will see so much more that you might not even consider it a loss.

We also saw the Northern Lights on one of our North Atlantic Crossing in October (I believe) and during section of our Baltic Cruise... but it was not as spectacular as the Alaska cruise!

Good luck on fulfilling your bucket list. I'm so very blessed to have been able to travel and really have nothing to put on my list... except to keep on... and enjoy each day!

Adventure last September to Iceland and Norway, they were seen by lots of people.

Mind you some did sleep on their balconies as best show was 4 am

We saw them at dusk but just beautiful colours and not a huge display but lovely never the less.

Brilliant itinary.

Saga Sapphire last February. A wonderful experience; although it was very very cold the scenery was stunning. We were given arctic jackets to wear. Saw the Northern Lights every night in the Arctic Circle.

• 5 years later...

Came across this today while doing some research.  After 5 years I get to cross this off my bucket list!!!

IT'S FINALLY HERE! We are sailing in 2 weeks on Ovation to Alaska.  I saw in early August on social media a picture of the Northern lights from The Ovation of the Seas.  Not holding my breath but fingers are crossed!!!

• Like 2

On 6/18/2014 at 7:29 PM, njkruzer said:

We were on the Jewel TA in Sept. 2011 and both nights in Iceland after dark we did see them.

We’ll be on the Brilliance TA next year and also staying overnight in Iceland. HopeIng to see them too! We are also there in September.

18 hours ago, Annicruise2014 said:

Came across this today while doing some research.  After 5 years I get to cross this off my bucket list!!!

IT'S FINALLY HERE! We are sailing in 2 weeks on Ovation to Alaska.  I saw in early August on social media a picture of the Northern lights from The Ovation of the Seas.  Not holding my breath but fingers are crossed!!!

I’m on your cruise. The Northern Lights are on my bucket list too. That’s why we picked the last cruise of the year. 

.....hoping, hoping....

Not on a cruise but on our way to a cruise. 3 weeks ago on our flight from LA to Munich (on our way to Rome for our Oasis cruise) our son happened to look out the window and there was a fabulous display of the Northern Lights. Got some great pics. A380, upper deck, rear left side, I believe we were somewhere over Iceland.