Fuel surcharge ?

One of the clauses in the cruise contract is that if gas prices get to a certain point (or barrel of oil charge - which is now over $100), they can charge you a fuel surcharge/fee.

When is this implemented?

They haven't implemented the fuel surcharge for many, many years. Doubt if they will do it because it will cause an uproar.

They haven't implemented the fuel surcharge for many, many years. Doubt if they will do it because it will cause an uproar.

I also live in the land of "doubt they'll do that again". We were booked on a cruise years ago when they implemented it and the swarm of bad customer anger was bad enough that they gave us OBC.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I agree don't give them any ideas or they might start charging you the fuel charge.

Yes,Please don't give them any ideas. We had to pay it a couple of times several years ago:( If you get a "free" cruise will it be applied?:cool: Pink

I also live in the land of "doubt they'll do that again". We were booked on a cruise years ago when they implemented it and the swarm of bad customer anger was bad enough that they gave us OBC.

I remember that. It was right before our Valor cruise. I think it was late 2008 or very early 2009 that they stopped charging it, because we got an OBC as well.

Edited by cruzinlisa

I agree - don't give them any ideas

or they might start charging you the fuel charge.

Not likely.

The cruising public kicked up such a stink, they forgot about the fuel surcharge

and instead embarked on a program to nickel and dime you for small stuff

and cut corners on quality and perks.

You're still paying that fuel surcharge -you're just doing it indirectly.

Big Corporations aren't silly when it comes to their bottom line. :)

They also got serious with food wastage and un-necessary frills.

That's why you get the toilet paper you find in your cabin's bathroom.

You get what you pay for -and Carnival still provides good value for money

as is evidenced by their ships sailing almost full, every time.

Only had it happen once in 2009. If one line does it then the rest will probably follow...If and when it gets added it'll probably be like the port and taxes, an add on. Like airline baggage fees. Years ago the port and taxes were figured into the advertised price.

One of the clauses in the cruise contract is that if gas prices get to a certain point (or barrel of oil charge - which is now over $100), they can charge you a fuel surcharge/fee.

When is this implemented?

If I remember correctly, when first implemented, it was stated that if the price of oil went over $70 a barrel then they would implement it. The huge uproar caused them to rethink the policy but they still reserve the right to do so.