My Report- Limo Companies from/to LGA

Flopthis25

I wanted to let everyone know my experience with renting a limo from airport to hotel, and then pier to airport.

From LGA to Hyatt TS- I used limos.com. The company I used was FCLS. it had the cheapest rate. $124.04. 6 people The limo driver was very nice, and had great communication. The limo was really worn and was showing it's age. It did the job.

From Pier to LGA- I used Carmels. We got off the ship early. And with one phone call, the driver picked us up early. The driver was very nice. The limo was immaculate and appeared nearly new. We weren't sliding around on the seats like we were on the 1st limo. Very relaxing ride. I was quoted $146 and charged $176. I'm not sure why the extra $30. We tipped and I never saw us go through a toll road.

Hope this helps someone.

It's Carmel's policy (and very common in the industry) to automatically add a 20% gratuity for certain types of vehicles, including limos. So, the $176 charge was the $146 quoted fare plus the 20% gratuity. It looks like you tipped twice as a result. When you are asked for more money than the quoted fare, question the driver about it...he should tell you the $30 is the automatic gratuity.

By the way, the policy I've cited is stated on their website in the FAQs.

OP should've received a receipt from the driver (just asking, most likely "no" is my best guess.) Whenever we've used Carmel, the driver always asked if we need a printed (itemized) receipt for the trip.

We have an established account and I usually do the booking online ahead of pickup, and after the trip - the itemized invoice/bill is emailed & waiting in the "In Box" whether paid in cash or otherwise (have the App on the smartphone but yet to use it ...)

I would contact Carmel & file a report/complaint and give them the benefits of the doubt to resolve/refund it - just my 2 cents.

Edited by mking8288

It's Carmel's policy (and very common in the industry) to automatically add a 20% gratuity for certain types of vehicles, including limos. So, the $176 charge was the $146 quoted fare plus the 20% gratuity. It looks like you tipped twice as a result. When you are asked for more money than the quoted fare, question the driver about it...he should tell you the $30 is the automatic gratuity.

By the way, the policy I've cited is stated on their website in the FAQs.

I called to reserve, and never went to their website. The woman I spoke with never mentioned it, and it wasn't mentioned on my confirmation.

OP should've received a receipt from the driver (just asking, most likely "no" is my best guess.) Whenever we've used Carmel, the driver always asked if we need a printed (itemized) receipt for the trip.

We have an established account and I usually do the booking online ahead of pickup, and after the trip - the itemized invoice/bill is emailed & waiting in the "In Box" whether paid in cash or otherwise (have the App on the smartphone but yet to use it ...)

I would contact Carmel & file a report/complaint and give them the benefits of the doubt to resolve/refund it - just my 2 cents.

No printed receipt. He didn't offer, and I didn't ask. A quoted price should be honored. But I'm not going to call and fuss over $30..... Just hoping to help the next person.

BTW I always tip a cab driver but rarely tip a limo driver they normal add it in anyway.

A receipt upon request is required by TLC rules for Limo drivers too in NYC.

Even without a receipt you can file a complaint on line at the TLC. They will do telephonic hearings unless identification of the driver is an issue(which it rarely is the base station keeps records of whom they sent).

The drivers and base stations hate the TLC its a kangaroo court and they are the 'roos. The fines start at $250 and can go into the thousands.

see http://www.nyc.gov/tlc

Sid, that's great info to know...

I too would likely forget that the gratuity is often included, well, added onto the total...thanks for the reminder, and the TLC info..

(The TLC BTW also likes POSITIVE comments...I once commended a cabbie and got a lovely, non-auto-reply email back, then remained on the email list for months.....)