COACH LHR to Harwich

Would someone please walk me through what is involved in catching a motor

coach from LHR to Harwich. (NOT the Celebrity Transfer)

Do you leave baggage claim and go to a hotel to get the independent coach?

Where do I board the coach??? I like the idea of a brief shopping trip in route, but the whole thing sounds really confusing.

Where and how to I meet the coach??

Thanks!!

D

You might be talking about National Express coaches, which covers the whole of the UK. Problem...it doesn't go to Harwich!!

LHR - Harwich is one of the few ports where the cruise transfer might make sense, so don't rule it out totally before you make a decision.

However, you can use trains to Harwich if you want. Basically, you have got to get from LHR to London, then London to Harwich. If you want, spend the night (or more) at a hotel in London...up to you.

Lets do the last bit first. Trains run from Liverpool Street station to Harwich International station, which is right beside the ship. You will almost certainly have to change at Manningtree, but this is not a real problem...just down 15 odd steps, under the subway and back up the other side. There is often staff about to help with luggage if you are struggling. Times and prices at http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

LHR - London can be done several ways.

Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect train (depending on which terminal you arrive at) to Paddington station...costs about £15.

Tube... cost to anywhere in London will be under £6, but can be very luggage unfriendly. Having said that, I would be happy doing it, but then I'm a masochist!!

National Express coach...frequent (at least once an hour) to Victoria coach station...I think its about £5 http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Without knowing exactly what you plan to do, its a bit hard to advise your best course of action. More details would be helpful, but I've laid out the bare bones of your travel options.

Simon

Would someone please walk me through what is involved in catching a motor

coach from LHR to Harwich. (NOT the Celebrity Transfer)

Do you leave baggage claim and go to a hotel to get the independent coach?

Where do I board the coach??? I like the idea of a brief shopping trip in route, but the whole thing sounds really confusing.

Where and how to I meet the coach??

Thanks!!

D

Simon's explained that Nat Express scheduled coach to Harwich isn't possible - it involves coach to Colchester then two trains from Colchester to Harwich.

But what you're asking about is the International Friends cruise bus, promoted by London Toolkit.

You book the bus to collect you from one of the nominated hotels near Heathrow, then after clearing airport formalities you make your own way to that hotel (various options, probably the Hotel Hoppa or a local bus) & await the bus there. Probably in hotel reception, where you can see a bus pulling in.

Which hotel is most convenient depends on your airline's airport terminal, they're very spread-out at Heathrow.

Yes, that bus has the advantage of a shopping stop near Harwich.

And it may be cheaper than ship's transfer coach, you need to check that out for yourselves.

But, if you miss that bus for any reason - late arrival, hold-ups at immigration etc - you've thrown your money away. And you'll be faced with taking such transport as is available - probably into central London (various methods), cross central London, & take the train from Liverpool Street station to Harwich.

That's part of the reason for the cruise bus not calling at airport terminals, really it's only worth consideration by those who've overnited at an airport hotel.

By contrast, ship's transfer is by a number of coaches. One coach trawls the terminals until it's full, then it sets off & the next coach is called forward. So whatever time you arrive in any arrivals hall you'll be on a bus & on your way within about half-an-hour. The service is provided until somewhere around noon-to-one-pm, latest time you can find out from your cruise line.

Most places in the world there are better and/or cheaper options than ship's transfers. But Heathrow (or Gatwick) to Harwich is one where ship's transfer is best for a twosome - cos even sharing a private transfer via the RollCall can be fraught if those with whom you share aren't on the same flight.

BTW there are a couple of stores about a 15 min walk from the ship. If you're in good time on ship's transfer coach, once your bags are taken you can go shoppin' before registering & boarding. The coach driver might even give you a lift partway when he leaves the pier.

JB :)

Tube... cost to anywhere in London will be under £6, but can be very luggage unfriendly. Having said that, I would be happy doing it, but then I'm a masochist!!

Outside of rush hour it's not too bad, however from Heathrow to Liverpool St Station it's a bit of a haul. Londoners can correct me on my logic, but the easiest way is a double transfer (while a single transfer is possible it involves hauling your luggage a fair distance).

• Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Barons Court ;
  • same platform transfer to...
  • District Line from Barons Court to South Kensington/Victoria/Westminster (basically any of the next 10 or 12 stops);
  • same platform transfer to....
  • Circle Line to Liverpool St Station.

JohnBull

Thank you so much!! I see now that the "toolkit coach" is really designed for the overnighters at LHR.

Day of arrival transfer would be much easier with the Celebrity coach.

Thank you!!

:D

Agree...this is one time that the cruiseline bus transfer works well. Have done the RCI transfer (day of cruise) and it was easy...We left LHR at approx 9:00am and arrived into Harwich just after noon with a quick stop midway.

• Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Barons Court;
  • same platform transfer to ...
  • District Line from Barons Court to South Kensington/Victoria/Westminster (basically any of the next 10 or 12 stops);
  • same platform transfer to ...
  • Circle Line to Liverpool St Station.

This is correct, although I'd mention a couple of additional points:-
  • In inclement weather, or during the morning peak, it may be better to change at Hammersmith rather than Barons Court. The platform at Hammersmith is more sheltered if it's wet, and more people get off and on there so it's easier to get on a busy train during the morning peak. At other times, Barons Court is better because it's a shorter distance between trains (less than 10 feet, I think) and the station is generally less busy than Hammersmith.
    _
  • Changing from the District Line to the Circle Line is probably best done at or beyond Temple, because the trains are much less busy beyond this point so that it's easier to get off and wait on the platform. But if your District Line train only goes as far as Mansion House, make sure you change at Blackfriars at the latest to keep the "same platform" benefit; and if your District Line train only goes as far as Tower Hill, make sure you change at Monument at the latest (for the same reason).
    _
  • In this direction, there is no step-free exit from the Circle Line at Liverpool Street station. I think, however, that there is step-free exit from the eastbound Circle Line, Metropolitan Line or Hammersmith & City Line train. I think you'd need to stay on the Piccadilly Line to Kings Cross St Pancras, and then change there. I believe that there should now be step-free interchange there, but there would be rather more walking distance to cover.

Rumours that I am practising to play Mornington Crescent are quite unfounded.