Royal Princess Sanctuary

bobontheblue

We have just booked our second cruise with Princess :D 10 days to the Caribbean out of New York City in October 2014. Interested in a daily or weekly pass to the Sanctuary. Does anyone know how to go about getting one? I know they are available once you board, but, can they be booked in advance? Does one need to be of a certain status to partake of the privilege? Or should we simply be content with the regular poolside offerings?

We have just booked our second cruise with Princess :D 10 days to the Caribbean out of New York City in October 2014. Interested in a daily or weekly pass to the Sanctuary. Does anyone know how to go about getting one? I know they are available once you board, but, can they be booked in advance? No. When you get onboard, head to the Sanctuary to book. May need to book the daily pass one day at a time, not in advance. Does one need to be of a certain status to partake of the privilege? No. Open to all adult passengers. Or should we simply be content with the regular poolside offerings?

see above in red

We have just booked our second cruise with Princess :D 10 days to the Caribbean out of New York City in October 2014. Interested in a daily or weekly pass to the Sanctuary. Does anyone know how to go about getting one? I know they are available once you board, but, can they be booked in advance? Does one need to be of a certain status to partake of the privilege? Or should we simply be content with the regular poolside offerings?
They cannot be booked in advance. You'll need to book as soon as you get onboard to book for the entire cruise which will be. $30/pp/day. Otherwise, you can book only by the day. The Royal experimented with being able to book in the afternoon for the following day but I don't know what the current policy is. You can book either the morning or afternoon for $20/pp or for the full day for $40. The Sanctuary is open to anyone willing to pay for it.

If you decide to book, the preferred loungers are the furthest forward. You'll be somewhat protected from direct sun but also from wind and passing showers. If you want to be in the sun, the attendants will move you. Sailing from NY in October, it'll be chilly the first few days but the attendants will bring you as many blankets as you want.

Before you get to the Sanctuary, you'll go through the Retreat pool which is surrounded by loungers. Not nearly as comfortable as the Sanctuary but free. It's worth checking out before spending money on the Sanctuary. I personally prefer the Sanctuary but many like the Retreat pool area. There's no pool in the Sanctuary.

Thank you both for the quick replies. Pam as usual you are a great source of info to this site. Will consider a cabana in the retreat area as an alternate. Looking forward to a great cruise. :)

There's an active roll call for your cruise & if you want to participate in the roll call click on this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858999&page=160

Edited by Astro Flyer

Will consider a cabana in the retreat area as an alternate. Looking forward to a great cruise. :)
To be honest, I'd book the Sanctuary rather than a Retreat pool cabana. I don't know how much the Retreat cabana is (I've forgotten) but there's little privacy and no service. All you've done is book nice loungers that no one else can use. Plus on the Royal, it's VERY windy at the Retreat pool with nothing to break the wind. They fixed this somewhat on the Regal but on the Royal, it was so windy at times that the hot tub water splashed all over the deck and chairs nearby and things went flying on the loungers. When I walked from the Retreat area into the Sanctuary on a windy day, the difference was enormous as the Sanctuary has glass windbreak panels at the front. It was far more comfortable there. Edited by Pam in CA

This is from the Princess website:

"Retreat Pool Cabana rental is available beginning at $50 for a half day. Sanctuary Cabanas are available beginning at $80 for a half day".

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Passengers-Can-Enjoy-the-Ultimate-in-Pampering-Aboard-Royal-Princess.html#.U6PX-9q9KSN

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you both for the quick replies. Pam as usual you are a great source of info to this site. Will consider a cabana in the retreat area as an alternate. Looking forward to a great cruise. :)

I'm firmly convinced we should have an "Dear Pam" Thread just to ask her questions and get her answers.

Edited by RocketMan275

Thanks for the info on the Sanctuary. We booked an inside cabin for the first time ever...it was a great deal and we just wanted to get away. My wife is regretting the closet but I told her we would do the Sanctuary. She is happy now.

We loved the sanctuary on the Crown. But after seeing it on the Royal I would not recommend it! There are a lot of comfortable places to chill out all over the ship. The sanctuary on the Royal is on a deck that is very very windy. While it is lovely the design of it is poor. Very few loungers in the shade. A lot of space is wasted by cabana areas to rent out. These spaces are very expensive. There are some nice loungers in the retreat pool next to the sanctuary. They have a cover over the top. Great while in port. Again way too windy while at sea. If you go to the Outriggers Bar at the aft of the ship just outside the Horizon Court is a lovely spot to chill out. A nice rear view of the ship.

We loved the sanctuary on the Crown. But after seeing it on the Royal I would not recommend it! There are a lot of comfortable places to chill out all over the ship. The sanctuary on the Royal is on a deck that is very very windy. While it is lovely the design of it is poor. Very few loungers in the shade. A lot of space is wasted by cabana areas to rent out. These spaces are very expensive. There are some nice loungers in the retreat pool next to the sanctuary. They have a cover over the top. Great while in port. Again way too windy while at sea. If you go to the Outriggers Bar at the aft of the ship just outside the Horizon Court is a lovely spot to chill out. A nice rear view of the ship.
You seem to have had a very different experience with the Royal's Sanctuary and while I don't mean to question your experience with booked loungers, that wasn't the case for me. The Retreat pool near the Sanctuary is very windy but I didn't find the Sanctuary itself windy. There was far more overhead deck covering at the front than the Sapphire plus there is a central couch area where anyone booked in the Sanctuary can go and hang out. Did you use that at all? I didn't get a close-up photo but you can see it in this photo: yqehazej.jpg

I agree with 58Piano. The Sanctuary on the Royal is quite different from other ships. The glass enclosure blocks wind but its solid structure prevents any breeze from entering the front area making it very warm and too still. There also is less shaded area than the Grand class, not to mention that the flooring, unlike other ships, does not have the artificial turf but a solid material that can get hot. I think the design took a step backward which is unfortunate.

You seem to have had a very different experience with the Royal's Sanctuary and while I don't mean to question your experience with booked loungers, that wasn't the case for me. The Retreat pool near the Sanctuary is very windy but I didn't find the Sanctuary itself windy. There was far more overhead deck covering at the front than the Sapphire plus there is a central couch area where anyone booked in the Sanctuary can go and hang out. Did you use that at all? I didn't get a close-up photo but you can see it in this photo: yqehazej.jpg

I have to agree with Pam.

58piano - did you actually spend a day in the Sanctuary or just walk through?

We booked it for the entire week of our Royal cruise last year and spent a wonderful week in there. We had been to all of the ports before so we just pretended we had 7 sea days.

The staff was unbelievably attentive (actually so was most of the other staff that week) and we spent a relaxing week in two of the loungers way up front in the shade.

(Except for when it rained and then that covered area in Pam's photo came VERY handy)

Other than the huge price increase our week, I have nothing negative to say .

EDIT: We had to walk through the Retreat pool area to get to the Sanctuary each day and it was ALWAYS unbelievably windy! I can't believe anyone actually books those Cabanas.

Edited by chamima