Tutti Salad

I have been on one RCCL cruise in 2010 on the Explorer but have 3 booked for the future.

I am wondering what makes a Tutti Salad so popular. I believe I read it is in the MDR at lunch. Is it more than a regular salad bar like in the buffet?

The Tutti Salad Bar is staffed by Royal workers. You select the type of lettuce you'd like, then various toppings, like veggies, cheese, meat (chicken, shrimp, tuna, etc.), then dressing and they toss it fresh for you. They have croutons and sometimes crispy wonton like chips as well. Fresh and delicious.

I generally HATE eating salads. I usually bite a chunk out of my inside cheek. But the tutti salad is great. The guys who prepare it chop it up with a neat little device they have and mix the dressing (if you want them to) with it, so it is so easy to eat. Makes my salad-eating painless.

That's why I like it.:) (NOTE: If the chopping is important to you, keep an eye on the last step of the salad bar. Once they skipped the chopping.)

Happy sails.

Kathy

It's definitely the variety of really nice ingredients that does it for me--the large shrimp, smoked salmon, prosciutto, bacon, among many others. You can even just get a bowl of shrimp with cocktail sauce, or have that on the side.

Yes, the chopping is a crucial part of doing this right.

Vision chopped all on my November/April/May sailings, but Liberty did not in May and it makes a big difference for me. All ingredients should be chosen prior to the chop and Liberty were just having the end as a traditional salad bar on my last sailing. They were chopping on the Transatlantic last year and I had the Captain in front of me in line a couple of days.

It reminds me of my favorite 'fast food' in Washington and New York if done right.

http://choptsalad.com/index.html

The guys who prepare it chop it up with a neat little device they have and mix the dressing (if you want them to) with it, so it is so easy to eat. Makes my salad-eating painless.

Kathy

That neat little device is a pizza cutting wheel. I have one and use it for cutting my salads at home too. I use it to cut my grandkids waffles and pancakes (if they are too young to cut on their own). Really a useful device.

I also love the Tutti salad. Too bad they only serve them on sea days.:(

Gwen

DW and I love the tutti salad. For one thing, it is a chance to get some food right away since lunch in the MDR always seems to be slow.

My personal favourite is the bocconcini (little mozzarella balls).

Since the chopper is used on every salad, which includes seafood, I wouldn't suggest it for anyone with allergies.

If you go hungry or just fancy it, you can have a tutti salad as a starter (worth asking for a starter / smaller portion though as they are HUGE :eek:) and still order one of their delicious main meals. I really loved the lunches in the MDR on our last cruise :)

The Tutti Salad is fantastic! They have a great selection of good, fresh ingredients, and (not so good) they use full-fat dressings, which most of us don't buy at home. I do love a good, crunchy salad, and this is excellent.

The choppy thing -- it's like a double pizza wheel -- is sold on Amazon. I've considered buying one. Check out OXO Good Grips Salad Bowl and Chopper.

As for allergies, you're right to be concerned, but I think it'd be fine to tell them you have allergies and ask them to use a fresh utensil. They have multiples.

I do love having the Tutti Salad for lunch on sea days. So many choices, you can end up with quite a salad w/no need to order an entree, if you want to. On the Independence Transatlantic last month, I didn't realize that they weren't chopping any of the salads (3 out of the 4 people at our table had Tutti Salad), making it very difficult to eat for me, so I tried to cut it myself and, of course, much of it would flop out of the bowl onto the table while trying to cut.

Wish I would have known that if you ask, they will chop it for you.

Flame Away!! The Tutti salad is good, I agree, and has more selections, but the salad in the Winjammer is good too. I don't mind chopping (or cutting) my salad.

Barb

But, you are on vacation! You shouldn't have to chop yourself!!!

ha ha kidding:)

Yes, the chopping is a crucial part of doing this right.

Vision chopped all on my November/April/May sailings, but Liberty did not in May and it makes a big difference for me. All ingredients should be chosen prior to the chop and Liberty were just having the end as a traditional salad bar on my last sailing. They were chopping on the Transatlantic last year and I had the Captain in front of me in line a couple of days.

It reminds me of my favorite 'fast food' in Washington and New York if done right.

http://choptsalad.com/index.html

And the chopping of all ingredients is my issue. I have a shrimp allergy and had to tell the guy on our last cruise about 5 times to not chop my salad. Everytime he would stop, then grab the wheel and I'd tell him again and repeat. Sigh. They do not use clean ones between each salad and I couldn't get him to understand. I told him each time that "I have a shrimp allergy" but that didn't apparently mean anything to him. Their idea of "cleaning" them is to dip them into a bucket of water and that is done over and over again in the same bucket so there are floating bits in there.

Otherwise, I find it kind of funny that people go all gaga over a salad. It's pretty good, but I don't find it all that special.