Adagio Trio??

BJzink

On my first HAL cruise in 2006 to Alaska, it was a real pleasure listening to the string quartet nightly. In addition, some group of American jazz musicians were on the cruise playing Dixieland every night in one of the lounges

Now that I'm booked again on the RYndam this year, can I count on a string quartet still being available? If anybody reading this who has been on the Ryndam this year can tell me, thanks.

Now that I'm booked again on the RYndam this year, can I count on a string quartet still being available? If anybody reading this who has been on the Ryndam this year can tell me, thanks.

I don't need to have sailed the Ryndam recently to know that the strings are down to a duet.

Sorry.

Some are very nice to listen to, though. At least give them a try.

Our 56 days on the Rotterdam convinced us that the pleasure

of classical music is now totally kaput.

Although there were anywhere from 6 to maybe 18 folks in the

venue the event was well worth missing.

Try one of the Cunard cruises for unbelievable quality --

Wow, so disappointing! The classical music in the lounge and MDR are/were one of the classy touches that help(ed) distinguish HAL from the main-stream, run-of-the-mill lines of its competitors. There was also a cordial table with hand-made chocolates in the lounge during the performances. They also had the after-dinner cart with mints and ginger. Does HAL still offer these? It's been 3 years since we last cruised with them, but it is that type of attention to detail and service that stays in my memory, and brings me back!

Hal website. Now I see that the Ryndam still features a string quartet. Just hope that particular page doesn't need to be revised, even though we know that many web pages just never get revised, they just float in the ether forever it seems.

When I started sailing HAL we had the Rosario Strings--a quartet. They were very good.

The were replaced by the Adagio Strings and they were excellent. Then they went to the duo of one violin and a piano and in my humble opinion, it is inferior to the Adagio strings.

Just my opinion but I say bring back the quartet!

Edited by Himself

There was also a cordial table with hand-made chocolates in the lounge during the performances. They also had the after-dinner cart with mints and ginger. Does HAL still offer these?

I haven't seen the serving of chocolates in the Explorers Lounge in ages. However, music there starts/ends much earlier now than it used to, and the chocolates could be all gone by the time I go through after dinner. The service of after dinner mints, dates, figs, etc. is still there---at least outside the fixed dining level.

Our 56 days on the Rotterdam convinced us that the pleasure

of classical music is now totally kaput.

Although there were anywhere from 6 to maybe 18 folks in the

venue the event was well worth missing.

Try one of the Cunard cruises for unbelievable quality --

Only on the P'Dam for 31 but the performances were very good and room full. Maasdam had a packed room most nights as well

Wow, so disappointing! The classical music in the lounge and MDR are/were one of the classy touches that help(ed) distinguish HAL from the main-stream, run-of-the-mill lines of its competitors. There was also a cordial table with hand-made chocolates in the lounge during the performances. They also had the after-dinner cart with mints and ginger. Does HAL still offer these? It's been 3 years since we last cruised with them, but it is that type of attention to detail and service that stays in my memory, and brings me back!

Hey Connie

The cart with chocolates can still be found in the Explorers Lounge and the Adagio duo will play there from 5:00-6:00 pm and from 7:00-10:00 pm (on some ships 5:00-8:00 pm and 9:00-10:00 pm)

Only on the P'Dam for 31 but the performances were very good and room full. Maasdam had a packed room most nights as well

One can only wonder why the difference.

However I fear it is only a matter of time until the total demise of this event.

Similar to what we were told on the Rotterdam -- the port guide position is being

eliminated. We shall see in Oct. when we board the Maasdam what else is gone.

Perhaps Copper can confirm this??

One can only wonder why the difference.

However I fear it is only a matter of time until the total demise of this event.

Similar to what we were told on the Rotterdam -- the port guide position is being

eliminated. We shall see in Oct. when we board the Maasdam what else is gone.

Perhaps Copper can confirm this??

Hey Earl

I can tell you that the ship I just left had a full-time Location Guide and she was excellent. Lines and lines in front of her desk/my office every day. Have not heard anything about the position being eliminated.

Enjoy the remainder of your Sunday!

Hey, John!

So very glad to hear that! It would be a shame if HAL lost those distinguishing touches. Can't wait 'til July when were back on another HAL ship:-) Thanx so much for the info.

QUOTE=Copper10-8;43169576]Hey Connie

The cart with chocolates can still be found in the Explorers Lounge and the Adagio duo will play there from 5:00-6:00 pm and from 7:00-10:00 pm (on some ships 5:00-8:00 pm and 9:00-10:00 pm)

On our last Rotterdam cruise, we had a very talented duo - young women from Ukraine. The violinist played solo in the dining room on formal nights at the start of dinner. When she left early to play there, the pianist played solo in the Explorer's Lounge.

We have had the pleasure of listening to the Ukrainians but as a quartet - they were excellent! Too bad that they were downgraded to a duo. We have also had a middle eastern gentleman on violin and his lady on piano on the Amsterdam but his violin always had 1 string just out of tune so we never stayed to listen. The curse of having perfect pitch - but she was excellent. Looks like all Adagio are now duos, so HAL only has to provide 1 cabin!