Shuttle from Lahaina to Whaler's Village

RocksGal

Does anyone know how often the shuttle runs from Lahaina to Whaler's Village? Also, what does it cost? I am trying to determine how much time we can have on the beach and still get back to the ship by 5.

Doesn't seem to run very often. We got tired of waiting for the shuttle and the crowd was getting bigger as we waited for the small bus. So we took a cab at a cost of I believe $16.00. Plenty of cabs. I would just do that, enjoy your time at the beach and go back when you're ready. If the Shuttle happens to be there fine, just plan on a cab.They had cabs and vans. Same price. You could always share one with someone else that is waiting.

Edited by san diego sue

We never did find it! After reading in the Princess port guide about the shuttle, we were happy to be able to take it. Upon landing, no locals had heard of it or where to find this elusive shuttle. Finally, one storekeeper in the shopping center across from the tender area directed us to the waiting area behind the shopping center. We waited there for a long time, but no shuttle came. We finally gave up. That was a few years ago. I hope it operates functionally now! Good luck!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The first time I went to Lahaina, I fully intended to get the shuttle but I was too impatient to wait so I hopped in a taxi and it was only $10; I got the shuttle back for $1 so my transport costs were not exactly exorbitant! (Altho' prices are a little higher now, I expect)

I've been there many times since and now I usually take the shuttle - once you've found the bus stop which is not immediately obvious, it's behind the shops when you're coming from the tender dock, the buses do run on schedule.

Edited by jollyjones

Mostly we're there on land based vacations, but have stopped there on cruises a few times. Didn't have any problem finding the bus stop, runs about once an hour, costs a couple of bucks. Didn't find it to be a huge problem. Relax, you're in Hawaii.;)

We were going to take the bus a few miles north, but had difficulty finding where to catch it (we went to the info center and their info was a bit vague) and asked a few other people. You really can't tell from the front of the Wharf Cinema Center (where we told the bus stop was) where to go. Finally someone pointed to the doorway at the back and told it was there. You have to go BEHIND it.

When it finally came, it was very crowded, standing room only.

The next Hawaiian cruise when we decided to go to Ka'anapali to Whalers Village, we decide to catch a taxi instead. I think the bus is now $2 each person and the taxi was about $16 plus tip (with three of us in the taxi) so a little bit more, but we were more comfortable and got dropped off in front of the Village. The driver gave us his business card and when we were ready to be picked up, called and one of his colleagues came right away.

We really like the shopping center. Open air and many of the stores were actually open on Christmas Day.

I'm generally a big fan of Public Transportation. But the Maui Bus from Lahaina to Whaler's Village was a nightmare. I don't think I'd do it again. I had researched ahead of time via Google Street View, so I knew exactly where the bus stop was located. It's behind the Wharf Cinema Center, not well marked at all. The bus was due to leave at 9:30AM. It arrived around 9:40AM. By this time the "line" that had formed had changed to a cattle herd. Then, after the bus arrived and unloaded the passengers, the driver left the bus, shut the door and walked away without saying a word. We watched him cross the street and take a leisurely smoke break. By the time he returned to the bus, everyone was hot, annoyed and crowding around the door to the bus. It was a madhouse crush of people trying to get on the bus. People were crammed in beyond capacity. Some were left behind.

Going back from Whaler's Village was just as bad. A nice line had formed, and we were one of the first in it. Waited in the sun like that for 20 minutes. Just before the bus arrived (late again), a taxi pulled up and stopped in front of us. The bus pulled up behind it and opened it's doors. Everyone who just arrived and were in the back of the line were now at the front of the line and rushed on. Those of us who had waited patiently in line had to scramble to get on the once again over crowded bus. The whole thing was a fiasco.

BTW, The Bus in Honolulu was the complete opposite. We took it all over town and was a joy to ride.

Edited by Jasperdo

Glad to see all of you had the same experience with the bus.

Taxi or van way to go.

We love Kaanapali Beach. At Whalers Village shops (beach behind it),

there is an ABC store. We always stop in there and buy a beach mat for each of us. $1.99. Use it on the beach and then give it away before returning to ship.The beach is gorgeous.

For some reason always really long lines for tenders. We return to Lahaina with time to spare. Then we get a beer and appetizers (sometime Fish and chips) at the outdoor restaurant close to the dock. We can see the lines. We wait till lines are short, and then get on.Once all the tour buses returned at same time and the line was 2 hours long.

We won't miss the last tender because we always have our eye on the dock area.

Then, after the bus arrived and unloaded the passengers, the driver left the bus, shut the door and walked away without saying a word. We watched him cross the street and take a leisurely smoke break.

This happened to us -- the absolute rudest person we've ever run into in a service oriented job. He clearly disliked tourists and maybe everyone. He was in the wrong line of work. Most Hawaiians we've interacted with truly do embrace the "Aloha Spirit" -- not this jerk

Nothing wrong with a break that is due, but to walk through a crowd like we didn't exist is inexcusable. We figured he was having a bad day, maybe he's having a bad life :)

This happened to us -- the absolute rudest person we've ever run into in a service oriented job. He clearly disliked tourists and maybe everyone. He was in the wrong line of work. Most Hawaiians we've interacted with truly do embrace the "Aloha Spirit" -- not this jerk

Nothing wrong with a break that is due, but to walk through a crowd like we didn't exist is inexcusable. We figured he was having a bad day, maybe he's having a bad life :)

I bet that was the same guy. Everyone else we met on Maui really showed the Aloha Spirit. But this guy seemed very annoyed at all of us "tourists".