A Comment About Kids

Twocoasts

They are very silent because money comes first. Period.

And the reason they never had a sign at the pool prohibiting toddlers in diapers is because they originally created a cruise line which dod not cater to them.

They are very silent because money comes first. Period.

And the reason they never had a sign at the pool prohibiting toddlers in diapers is because they originally created a cruise line which dod not cater to them.

Agreed.

But surely creating such a sign now wouldn't be all that difficult or costly?

That's where the "enforcement of the rules" would/should come in :)

Maybe they could have a "zero tolerance" policy like the smoking one

you break the rules you are off the ship ;)

Should include all age groups

Edited by LHT28

I think most of the trouble comes because Oceania has taken no stance because they like the money both groups pay. Some feel they are going on a adults only line because children are not mentioned in the docs. Others bring their children and feel they can do what the want because Oceania is happy to take their money. When the two groups meet on the ship there is only trouble.

Maybe they could have a "zero tolerance" policy like the smoking one

you break the rules you are off the ship ;)

Should include all age groups

I would have no problem with that. However, a warning should be given first and if not complied with - off the ship.

Edited by Paulchili

Posting as a dirty old sen(ile)ior citizen, unlike HawaiiDan that lives near the great beaches, many of us from the great hinterlands don't. Therefore, as long as there aren't to many kids, having a few of those kid's moms in their bikinis at the pool is a delightful injection of scenery when compared to having only those ladies of my more advanced age! :D

Posting as a dirty old sen(ile)ior citizen, unlike HawaiiDan that lives near the great beaches, many of us from the great hinterlands don't. Therefore, as long as there aren't to many kids, having a few of those kid's moms in their bikinis at the pool is a delightful injection of scenery when compared to having only those ladies of my more advanced age! :D

Great post!

Given that not every woman who wears a bikini should ... and given the demographics of the average passenger ... I'm not sure looking at the Moms will always give that much pleasure to the beholder.

Then again, if Moms are young enough to have toddlers, maybe it will!

I do remember our first trip to Rio in 1974 ... it was the first time we'd seen string bikinis and my husband's sure were popping out of his head.

Mura

RJB, It is clear by your statement that you need to cruise on an adult only cruise line.

I think the Oceania does represent itself as a ship for adults even though there no written rules. :confused::confused:

One can only represent itself as a cruise line only for adults if it states in all the literature it sends out that it is an adults only cruise line.

We have been on the Riviera the past two summers and both trips had lots of children on board that seemed to be having a great time. We will be sailing on her again in about a month and expect lots of kids again. They have always been very well behaved at the pool and in the restaurants. I see no reason why children should not be sailing on Oceania.

NC&KY,

To answer your question, it seemed there was no one in charge at the pool! No officers were to be seen. In desperation, we brought the situation of the toddler in the pool to the attention of the bar staff. The response was a shrug. We did not feel that we could approach the parents ourselves. It was very, very frustrating. I stopped using the pool, for obvious reasons.

Later that evening, I mentioned the incident to an officer, who said that even though there was no sign at the pool, a toddler in a diaper should not have been allowed in the pool. He said he would make sure staff at the pool (???) were aware of this policy. I do not feel at all confident that he did so.

Later that evening, I mentioned the incident to an officer, who said that even though there was no sign at the pool, a toddler in a diaper should not have been allowed in the pool. He said he would make sure staff at the pool (???) were aware of this policy. I do not feel at all confident that he did so.

Usually if you dial 00 on the phone they will have someone come to investigate your complaint

DH went into the washroom near the library where someone was clearly smoking in there he left & called the desk ..security was there in no time but the smoker had left

There is sinage on the Riveria that includes the "rules" but that does not mean parents obey them. O has not had to "police" the pool when the cruisers were Just adults. Now with parents bringing their toddlers to the pool, a visible O manager at the pool seems a necessity. Enforcement should not be left to cruisers themselves.

This is the exact wording in the Cruise Vacation Guide prepared for passangers before they travel.

"Although Oceania Cruises accepts Guests of all ages, the unregimented lifestyle and upscale ambiance onboard are designed for adults and do not provide for the care, entertainment, or supervision of children."

This is the exact wording in the Cruise Vacation Guide prepared for passangers before they travel.

"Although Oceania Cruises accepts Guests of all ages, the unregimented lifestyle and upscale ambiance onboard are designed for adults and do not provide for the care, entertainment, or supervision of children."

This says it all. Oceania is telling everyone that they DO NOT want kids on their ships. Very simple. :):)