Things that HAL could improve on....

RMLincoln

On Princess it's indoors and you are sitting. On Hal you are standing, cramped tight and standing.

You stand on Disney unless your muster station is inside (some are in the theatre). BUT they scan your card to check you in, line you up, and it's very quick and organized. No verbal roll call. How last century.

You stand on Disney unless your muster station is inside (some are in the theatre). BUT they scan your card to check you in, line you up, and it's very quick and organized. No verbal roll call. How last century.

If you get to the drill early enough you can walk up to the person and have your name checked off. That way they won't yell it out. I've had problems on celebrity and Princess trying to chase the person around to get my card scanned.

Both have flaws in my mind.

The two things I would really like to see improved are the taste of the coffee in the lido and the dress policy.

To me, going on a cruise is not like going on a camping trip. I like sophistication. I am not particularly fond of printed T-shirts and old jeans. I would like to see the dress code not only enforced but also significantly tightened.

I would like there to be far more formal nights and the remaining nights be what was previously called semi-formal. I would love to eliminate the entire concept of “casual dress” in the MDR for dinner or the public areas of the ship in the evenings.

I believe there is little chance of this happening, but it is what I would like.

Scott & Karen

The chance of this happening would be slight to none and that is too bad.

It would be nice to go back to "informal", though. Being realistic I would vote for 1/2 informal and 1/2 casual.

Grand Voyages could be different, with more formal, informal and a few casual.

Perhaps some pax would be happier with informal and casual

Celebrity's having great success with smaller dining venues. (Begining Spring 2015 their suites will have a private dining room.) And most of us who can breakfast in the Pinnacle. I wish that HAL would follow the trend and offer more specialized dining.

My personal favorite would be a 'healthy' menu - either in the MDR or in a smaller venue.

And I so agree about the Crow's Nest. It's a beautiful place with few takers. I'd love a smooth jazz piano or emsemble....if anyone's listening.

Either do away with formal nights or consistently enforce the code.

Seconded. I am reluctant to essentially insult my fellow cruisers, many of whom appreciate and respect a dress code, so I pack prepared to comply; yet I am increasingly seeing fewer and fewer complying. At some level of non-compliance, it becomes frustrating to make the effort.

Just to clarify I don't generally start purchasing expensive suites but my last few cruises have ended up with those rooms except for last October. I got my last suite thru an upsell but it was still stupid expensive for me as a solo and it just wasn't worth it. Even so, I generally book at least a balcony and that is not really a bargain either. Hal needs to start at a lower starting price, instead of starting out super high and giving it away at the end. It cheapens the experince for the ones that have committed early and paid for that. I book earlier because I need to cement my vacation plans not because I want a certain room.

Generally you get what you pay for - and some times what you pay for (and presumably want) is having your vacation plans "cemented". Pricing fluctuates with demand - if a sailing starts selling out early, fares will only go up, and there will be no "giving it away at the end". If late, cheap, last minute fares are really important for you. - wait for them.

Return to the northeast winter market. It is too bad that HAL had essentially abdicated that market. Noordam to the Caribbean fro New York in the winter months was a great experience. I find it difficult to believe that there are not sufficient others to buy space at prices sufficient to allow profitable operation.

I will not sail NCL - even at current cheap prices - so am willing to pay airfare on top of cruise fare-- and would gladly let those costs, plus Florida hotel costs plus a bonus for the convenience go to HAL -

What happens in the event of an actual emergency and the scanners don't work because the batteries have run down and the ship does not have power to re-charge them? Or what if the computer system is down and the scanner can't connect with the ship's passenger database? Sometimes technology is much more than is needed and only serves to complicate matters. I'd rather them call names out old-school than waste valuable time futzing about with improperly working computer systems. Old-school works just fine and doesn't depend on electricity.

And this is an honest question to all the people who say they can't stand through the duration of the muster drill: what will happen when you are in an actual emergency and have to stand to wait to board the lifeboats? Chairs on the boat desk would just inhibit everyone (you included) from being able to board lifeboats quickly and safely.

Edited by ellieanne

This is very interesting....some of the things mentioned seem very petty to me. We always go on a trip with very low expectations.... When I cruise I so enjoy being waited on and pampered. We seldom go to the MDR as a sport coat and jeans is the closest my DH gets to formal wear. In fact in our small Wy town I am willing to bet you couldn't find more than 10 suits all together. We choose not to take up suitcase space with a sports coat. I think we miss out on the camaraderie found in the MDR, so I would like to see it be less formal. We will be sailing on our first HAL cruise Sat. I don't eat croutons, but now I will surely be looking for them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Improve temperature of food served at MDR and Room service

2. Section off part of MDR for the formal wear lovers and the other part for casual as you want section.

3. Smaller portions in the MDR.... You can always ask for more but I hate the food waste.

4. Spicier food selections in the MDR. Most food all over the ship was bland tasting.

5. More National Park experts on board. We had a location director with a terrible Jersey Shore accent who did not really know the ports that well.

6. Add craps table to all ships

But really the most important thing is to improve the MDR. I like getting sit down service dinners and at home restaurants I do that every week, sometimes, twice a week. And I eat at the best rated restaurants. And I go to ALL of them in my jeans and T shirts. So I HATE it when I pay a bunch of money for a cruise and am forced to play dress up. I can always go to the Lido, and sometimes I did. but that is not sit down service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A serious question to all of those who partake in formal night. Does the quality of the food in the MDR today match the quality of the formal night dress code? From what I read here that does not seem to be the case. Although my wife and I are 4 star mariners we have never once eaten in the MDR and never intend to.

My wife and I on occasion get dressed up for dinner at home. The check for those occasions is more than an inside cabin costs for 2 people for a 7 day Alaskan cruise from what I am seeing of HAL's rates now. $299 for an inside cabin on the Oosterdam for a 7 day cruise. Jeez that's cheap!!!

I guess what I am trying to find out is if the food is special enough for all of the hoopla of a formal event.

Edited by Laminator

I'd like to see a return of the afternoon tea service (other than the Indonesian and Dutch High Teas) to Explorers Lounge. On my last few HAL cruises, the regular afternoon teas were held in the MDR, which was less comfortable and far less intimate than the lounge I'd come to enjoy on previous HAL cruises. It was also easier to meet other pax in Explorer's Lounge. Now, this is not a big deal -- I'll still go, although I preferred the more intimate setting. They don't require the space that the Indonesian and Dutch High Teas do, and holding these smaller gatherings in a lounge increases the opportunity to meet other pax.

Again, it's not a make-it-or-break-it preference, but since the question was asked...

A serious question to all of those who partake in formal night. Does the quality of the food in the MDR today match the quality of the formal night dress code? From what I read here that does not seem to be the case. Although my wife and I are 4 star mariners we have never once eaten in the MDR and never intend to.

Keeping in mind that this is subjective, I think it does. Somehow, it enhances the ambiance. Yet, I do not really care what others are wearing so long as it appears that some effort was made to be presentable. (And, I doubt the latter comment applies to most of us here.)

Good question.

Absolutely! Just one example from our recent trip: On the last formal night of our recent cruise, there were four of us at our table, two couples. Both of the men were attired in tuxedos (technically semi-formal, I know.) One of the ladies was wearing a long gown. One wore a cocktail dress.

The woman in the gown got extra lobster. Coincidence? I think not!

If there is a dress code and we know what it is, we comply. We don't mind packing dress clothes and schlepping them half way around the world just to have one dinner in a single restaurant. We do it all the time.

I completely understand that there are people don't want to do that. That's their business. What I don't understand is why some people are so dead set against formal nights.

Because right behind them are the people who don't want to wear long pants. And they're being followed by the people who would be more comfortable eating in their robes and slippers.

I know what you're saying. You're saying, "That would never happen!" I'm sure that's what people said 20 years ago about not wearing a tie.

As we near the end of the rant, I must confess that the passenger who got the extra lobster ordered extra lobster. Looping back around to the question about the formal night food: In my opinion, it's generally a bit better than on a regular night.

I do like where you're going with your train of thought though. The more effort you put into looking nice, the better your meal selections.

"I'm sorry sir, but that's a clip on tie. I'm afraid the tenderloin is off the table."

"That's a lovely gown, madame. Would you care to see the secret chocolate dessert menu?"

Edited by POA1

My wife and I on occasion get dressed up for dinner at home. The check for those occasions is more than an inside cabin costs for 2 people for a 7 day Alaskan cruise from what I am seeing of HAL's rates now. $299 for an inside cabin on the Oosterdam for a 7 day cruise. Jeez that's cheap!!!

I guess what I am trying to find out is if the food is special enough for all of the hoopla of a formal event.

Yes well a lot of people would have been in horror at or meal in Quebec. $400 for the meal and many of the guests were in jeans or shorts. :) I've never understood the fuss but that's another conversation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What happens in the event of an actual emergency and the scanners don't work because the batteries have run down and the ship does not have power to re-charge them? Or what if the computer system is down and the scanner can't connect with the ship's passenger database? Sometimes technology is much more than is needed and only serves to complicate matters. I'd rather them call names out old-school than waste valuable time futzing about with improperly working computer systems. Old-school works just fine and doesn't depend on electricity.

And this is an honest question to all the people who say they can't stand through the duration of the muster drill: what will happen when you are in an actual emergency and have to stand to wait to board the lifeboats? Chairs on the boat desk would just inhibit everyone (you included) from being able to board lifeboats quickly and safely.

And I will give you an honest answer. Since I am of a certain age and I travel alone, I consider traveling a risk-taking experience. No one depends on me and my personal affairs are in order. In the unlikely event that a true emergency occurs aboard ship, I will take my chances. On the other hand, standing for a long period of time may likely cause enough pain to prevent me from enjoying the entire trip.

A serious question deserves a serious answer. Since you never go to the MDR we suspect none of this is even relevant to you. But some folks/cruisers (moi) see dinner in the MDR as a social event that is not just about shoving down our food and running out of the MDR. DW and I dine late (on HAL this would be after 4 pm but we do normally dine after 8) and always ask to share large tables. On most cruises we end up with a real fun table that will often spend nearly 2 hours in the MDR. On our 35 day Westerdam cruise last year we formed a table of 8 (4 French Canadians, 2 from Wales, and us) which was fantastic. We had loads of fun, and the Maitre d made a comment that we were the best entertainment on the ship since the entire table was always laughing and having a great time.

As to formal nights, you might be shocked and puzzled to know that some of us actually enjoy dressing-up for a fun change. Formal nights on cruises are the only time throughout the year that I wear a tie (and usually a Tux) and its fun. Sure, this is not for everyone, but then neither is BINGO or Art Auctions.

Regarding your question about the food (and service) we think you already know that the food on HAL is not even close to the quality (and service) of cuisine in years past (and we have been cruising forty years). But this is not just an HAL issue since its a problem on every other mass market line. On the other hand, we are paying much less (in real dollars) for a cruise today then we paid forty years ago.

Hank

I would like HAL to have a longer Caribbean season.

Seems like HAL gets back to the Caribbean later and later each year. And now HAL leaves the Caribbean as early as March -- example -- 2013 Westerdam left Ft Lauderdale in March and went to San Diego and then did a 42 day Hawaiian and Tahiti cruise before she began her Alaskan season.

Are all the ships in Europe full for each cruise? I doubt it. Especially when you read here on CC about how many people are getting upgrades and upsells. And CC members are just a small portion of those sailing on HAL ships. So you can believe that many other people are also getting those upgrades and upsells.

Generally you get what you pay for - and some times what you pay for (and presumably want) is having your vacation plans "cemented". Pricing fluctuates with demand - if a sailing starts selling out early, fares will only go up, and there will be no "giving it away at the end". If late, cheap, last minute fares are really important for you. - wait for them.

But you don't get what you pay for. That is the problem. I thought I'd made that pretty clear. I'm not retired, so I have no flexibility. Hal needs to realize that they should treat their long term customers better.

Edited by cruz chic

Keeping in mind that this is subjective, I think it does. Somehow, it enhances the ambiance. Yet, I do not really care what others are wearing so long as it appears that some effort was made to be presentable. (And, I doubt the latter comment applies to most of us here.)

Good question.

That's only because my wife drinks a lot...LOL!!! Seriously though going to one of Chicago's finer restaurants by the time you order a quality bottle of wine, appetizers, main course, dessert and after dinner drink or two when you include the tip the bill is $600 or more.

Return to the northeast winter market. It is too bad that HAL had essentially abdicated that market. Noordam to the Caribbean fro New York in the winter months was a great experience. I find it difficult to believe that there are not sufficient others to buy space at prices sufficient to allow profitable operation.

I will not sail NCL - even at current cheap prices - so am willing to pay airfare on top of cruise fare-- and would gladly let those costs, plus Florida hotel costs plus a bonus for the convenience go to HAL -

Clearly it wasn't profitable or they would still be there. Why would they leave an area where they were making money? That makes no sense.

That's only because my wife drinks a lot...LOL!!! Seriously though going to one of Chicago's finer restaurants by the time you order a quality bottle of wine, appetizers, main course, dessert and after dinner drink or two when you include the tip the bill is $600 or more.

:eek: Really? Is that for two?

:eek: Really? Is that for two?

Sounds about right to me. We have paid in the $200-400 range for many good restaurants as light drinkers and we haven't even touched the Michelin starred ones yet. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Absolutely! Just one example from our recent trip: On the last formal night of our recent cruise, there were four of us at our table, two couples. Both of the men were attired in tuxedos (technically semi-formal, I know.) One of the ladies was wearing a long gown. One wore a cocktail dress.

The woman in the gown got extra lobster. Coincidence? I think not!

If there is a dress code and we know what it is, we comply. We don't mind packing dress clothes and schlepping them half way around the world just to have one dinner in a single restaurant. We do it all the time.

I completely understand that there are people don't want to do that. That's their business. What I don't understand is why some people are so dead set against formal nights.

Because right behind them are the people who don't want to wear long pants. And they're being followed by the people who would be more comfortable eating in their robes and slippers.

I know what you're saying. You're saying, "That would never happen!" I'm sure that's what people said 20 years ago about not wearing a tie.

As we near the end of the rant, I must confess that the passenger who got the extra lobster ordered extra lobster. Looping back around to the question about the formal night food: In my opinion, it's generally a bit better than on a regular night.

I do like where you're going with your train of thought though. The more effort you put into looking nice, the better your meal selections.

"I'm sorry sir, but that's a clip on tie. I'm afraid the tenderloin is off the table."

"That's a lovely gown, madame. Would you care to see the secret chocolate dessert menu?"

I see you understand the point I was trying to make. Now I hope I don't get buried on this but I would honestly be happy to pay an extra amount per person, say $50 or so, to make the formal night meal a truly special event.

As HAL needs to redefine their market share to stay relevant you are sadly going to see less and less formal wear as the younger generations do not appear to be as concerned with the formal night setting. I am not saying that is right or wrong. I am simply saying that is what appears to be happening.