Lunch on embarkation day, Grand Princess

ap0805

We will be on the Grand in August and wondering if we will have options for lunch other than the buffet. Any information you can share about the Grand is also appreciated!

Thanks again!!!!

I have checked out the Grand for lunch on embark day. It was told to me by several res people that no lunch is served except for the buffet on that day. However, the Piazza, center of ship, has great food such as sandwiches, salads, gelato, and lovely other items. Great place for breakfast and lunch any day. I believe that is open on embark day. Have fun. You will love the Grand old lady of Princess.

One of the dining rooms should be open if you board early enough. Sometimes cruise ship staff members will try to direct you toward the buffet instead. You have to ignore them. Two of my favorites on the embarkation day lunch menu are the salmon and the cheese ravioli. I'm planning on ordering both on my next cruise (just an appetizer size portion of the ravioli).

Yep. They'll look you straight in the eye and lie. The MDR is open no matter what they say (until 1:30 I think.) It's sooooo much more relaxing than fighting the crowds at the buffet. By all means, order the ravioli. Delicious.

The dining room that is open on embarkation day is mid-ship, usually the one on Deck 6. Also, Alfredo's on Deck 5 mid-ship (the Piazza) may be open. The International Café is also open and in the Piazza. In addition, mid-ship up on Lido Deck, the Trident Grill and Prego Pizzaria should be open, and Scoops should also be open. Lots of options besides the buffet.

We enjoy the dining room for embarkation lunch!

If you have not already, take a look on the princess.com website. You can find deck plans for all their ships. If you haven't sailed on a Grand-class ship before, or if it's been awhile, having a thorough look at the deck plans will be helpful. It can help you pinpoint all the food venues, and the various pools, and lounges!

There will be one dining room open for lunch - usually from noon to 1:30. Also available there should be:

International Cafe on deck 5 - sandwiches and salads, coffees, some pastries.

Alfredo's - sit down pizza, also on deck 5

Lido deck - Trident Grill - hamburgers, hotdogs, fries. . .

Prego Pizza - pizza by the slice. They usually have three pizzas out at a time and more in the oven.

Lots of options! Don't go towards the buffet! You may never find your way out! Try it another time when it isn't so busy!

I have checked out the Grand for lunch on embark day. It was told to me by several res people that no lunch is served except for the buffet on that day. However, the Piazza, center of ship, has great food such as sandwiches, salads, gelato, and lovely other items. Great place for breakfast and lunch any day. I believe that is open on embark day. Have fun. You will love the Grand old lady of Princess.
That information is just plain WRONG. We sailed on the Grand in March and these were the options available on embarkation day:

Da Vinci DR: 12pm -1:30pm - Lunch

Trident Grill & Pizzeria: 11:30am - 10:30pm

Horizon Court Buffet: 11:30am - 5:00pm - Lunch Buffet

Alfredo's Pizzeria: 11:30 - Late

International Cafe: 24 hours

Ice Cream Bar: 11;30am - 10:30pm

The above information will be listed on the back page of your Patter that you will find in your cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

There will be one dining room open for lunch - usually from noon to 1:30. Also available there should be:

International Cafe on deck 5 - sandwiches and salads, coffees, some pastries.

Alfredo's - sit down pizza, also on deck 5

Lido deck - Trident Grill - hamburgers, hotdogs, fries. . .

Prego Pizza - pizza by the slice. They usually have three pizzas out at a time and more in the oven.

Lots of options! Don't go towards the buffet! You may never find your way out! Try it another time when it isn't so busy!

Agree.....MDR or those mentioned here by RNGLNG.........very crowded HC.

Hi! We just got off the Grand yesterday and ate at Alfredo's on embarkation day. We were one of 2 tables of people and it was really nice and relaxed. We went over to the International Cafe to get "appetizers" (really a peanut butter cup dessert) while they cooked our pizzas. I would definitely recommend going there- we didn't get onboard until around 1:15 so we wouldn't have made the MDR lunch.

I was very disappointed in the food selections at HC- for the whole week, not just embarkation so we pretty much only ate there for snacks.

Let me know if you have any questions- I don't post much on here (so I wasn't going to do a whole review) but found a lot of great info since this was our first princess cruise.

This has been kicked around a lot. The secret is getting onto the ship before 1:15, they close the door then. Get to the pier at around 10:45. If you get on the ship at around 12:30 go down to the Di Vinci dining room on Deck 6 Fiesta Port side mid-ship, that’s the MDR that will be open. The HC is good for quick snack or for a quick breakfast. There are a lot of places to eat besides the HC buffet. If you don’t like what you’ve served or want more, all you have to do is ask.

Hi Crabby5---I thought it was just me about the HC"s selections!!!! We did the dining room on embarkation day...I just got the cheeseburger. It was just ok. I had one upstairs by the pool another day and it was wayyyy better!!!.

Janel

We've loved lunch in the Da Vinci this last year. Nothing like starting off a cruise being spoiled. We think the salmon is the best on the whole cruise, there is a good appetizer with avocado, and soufflé for dessert.

You said the magic word...avocado 😋. We are hoping to make it on board the ship in time for lunch in the MDR. I hope they still have it by the time we cruise next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You said the magic word...avocado 😋. We are hoping to make it on board the ship in time for lunch in the MDR. I hope they still have it by the time we cruise next year!

I imagine they will. It's been around for a long time. That's part of my lunch: avocado starter and cheese ravioli. Then I get a latte to finish it off. (Need to use the coffee card for that latte, though.)

I think Princess was testing something new in the way of more cutbacks. I was on the Crown doing a BVE on May 3rd and we were given a new looking menu. The left side was wasted paper with a big Welcome thing. The right side listed just a few items to choose from. It was not organized as we are familiar with at all, just a list and IMO very limited choices. I was really disappointed that the salmon I had been looking forward to was not among the choices.

I cruised on the Island Princess May 16th and was so happy to see the normal looking embarkation day menu.

Eat at Alfredo's. Order the Grand Princess pizza. I wish I could have one right now. :D

We're sailing on Star Princess in November and the only thing I don't like about that ship is the lack of Alfredo's.

DO NOT ASK THE EMPLOYEES ANYTHING WHEN YOU BOARD, chances are they do not

know or will give you incorrect info. There is always a dining room open on embarcation

day. Check the Patter in your cabin or if you do not have time to pick one up in your cabin check

at reception or just go to the dining room on deck 6 (Grand Princess) and look for

whatever is open, 12-1:30pm.

I make it a habit to get to the ship as early as possible, that way I am close to the ship

and will be one of the first to board, drop my carryon in the cabin and head for lunch.

I am also one of the last to leave the ship when it arrives back in port.

Greg

I think Princess was testing something new in the way of more cutbacks. I was on the Crown doing a BVE on May 3rd and we were given a new looking menu. The left side was wasted paper with a big Welcome thing. The right side listed just a few items to choose from. It was not organized as we are familiar with at all, just a list and IMO very limited choices. I was really disappointed that the salmon I had been looking forward to was not among the choices.

I cruised on the Island Princess May 16th and was so happy to see the normal looking embarkation day menu.

Was that for one of the 3/4 day cruises on the Crown? Princess is using a different menu on the short West Coast cruises :( We had that menu on a 4 day cruise on the Sapphire in January, but the regular menu on the Grand out of San Francisco in March.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Was that for one of the 3/4 day cruises on the Crown? Princess is using a different menu on the short West Coast cruises :( We had that menu on a 4 day cruise on the Sapphire in January, but the regular menu on the Grand out of San Francisco in March.

Since Princess is offering these 3 and 4 day cruises as a way to attract passengers to Princess who have not been on Princess before, you would think they would want to have the best experience possible so these people would return to Princess for longer cruises or even more short cruises. To offer that very reduced menu on embarkation day is not the way to get repeat business.

Hi Crabby5---I thought it was just me about the HC"s selections!!!! We did the dining room on embarkation day...I just got the cheeseburger. It was just ok. I had one upstairs by the pool another day and it was wayyyy better!!!.

Janel

Our last 3 cruises were on the Disney Dream and I think I got spoiled by their awesome buffet. They had everything from chicken fingers for kids to sushi, so I was expecting that's what all cruise buffets would be like! lol.

If we wanted something fast we liked the pool places too! My husband loved the hot dogs- I'm not sure if he tried a hamburger there or not. I liked that pizza just as much as Alfredo's too.

It was embarkation day for the repositioning cruise up to Alaska

Since Princess is offering these 3 and 4 day cruises as a way to attract passengers to Princess who have not been on Princess before, you would think they would want to have the best experience possible so these people would return to Princess for longer cruises or even more short cruises. To offer that very reduced menu on embarkation day is not the way to get repeat business.

I have to agree with you

Our last 3 cruises were on the Disney Dream and I think I got spoiled by their awesome buffet. They had everything from chicken fingers for kids to sushi, so I was expecting that's what all cruise buffets would be like! lol.

If we wanted something fast we liked the pool places too! My husband loved the hot dogs- I'm not sure if he tried a hamburger there or not. I liked that pizza just as much as Alfredo's too.

Most cruise lines are definitely not like a Disney cruise... Disney is also much more expensive so you will find differences. Having said that, I love Princess and all it offers, well, almost always!