Is 12 noon flight from Houston Hobby too early post cruise?

Jana60

I usually book my flights later in the afternoon but I don't want to take the later flight available because I would either have to pay 40% more or I would be sitting at the airport all day long waiting for an 8:30 pm. flight. I'm platinum so I can get off the boat first if I self assist and the boat is supposed to dock at 8:30 am. So is a 12 noon flight too early to book?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

http://m.carnival.com/cruise-transfers/galveston.aspx

The guideline is 1:30pm. Could you make a 12:00pm flight? Possibly. But if for some reason you don't, your travel insurance will not cover your added expenses or costs associated with flight changes if you booked one that wasn't inside the cruise line guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

The last two times I've debarked platinum, I've been off the ship at galveston and in my car by 8:30 am. It still made me nervous when my roommate needed to be at the airport by noon. (I've been delayed BOARDING because a ship gets in late and surely those folks didn't make their flights. :( )

As long as there is no fog, everything should work out. We have gone out of Galveston twice and have been on the road by 8:30 also. We used self assist on the Conquest and the Magic, both larger than the Triumph. So we had more people that needed to get off.

We drive down because it always comes out cheaper than paying for more than 2 airfares and the cost of getting to and from the airport to the pier. And since you are going at a time when fog is unlikely (July) it might work. You have to decide if you want to take the chance. Heck if I was on that cruise and driving, I would be home around 8:30pm. So I would beat you home if you wait for the later flight.

Sharon

You should be ok since Hobby is so close to Galveston. /QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that 42 miles is "SO" close. It's a good hour drive. But it is definitely closer than Bush which is 69 miles away.

Seems like you would get priority debarkation since you have an early flight out. You should be ok since Hobby is so close to Galveston. Hobby is much smaller than the big airport (iah ) so I think you are ok.

I will get priority debarkation, in fact I could be the first person off the ship since I'm platinum and self assist. I decided to go for it using frequent flyer miles so if I should miss my flight and they don't allow me to transfer at least I'm only out my miles and not actual cash. If anyone else has done priority self assist at Galveston port could you please tell me what time did they let you get off the boat?

I just got off the Magic on Sunday. It was having engine problems during our cruise. We arrived at Jamaica an hour late and didnt arrive in Galveston until 7:00 am. We were not off the ship until 8:30 am. Hopefully, the mechanical problems will be repaired by the time you cruise.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

I don't know what itinerary you are doing, but if it includes Belize, sometimes it can take longer getting off the ship.

Don't know when your cruise is........ but GALVESTON SOMETIMES HAS FOG ISSUES:eek:

If you are flying out of Hobby, on a Sunday, it can be a CF the later you get there. Especially if your cruise is November or later

If you are checking luggage, you have less of a window, to make your flight

We have sailed out of Galveston 3 times no issues. But stuff does happen

Edited by jonbgd

I was on the first shuttle back to Hobby a couple of months ago and we got to the airport around 9:30am. For 40% savings on airfare I would book it, but I also wouldn't get mad if I missed that noon flight.

I was on the first shuttle back to Hobby a couple of months ago and we got to the airport around 9:30am. For 40% savings on airfare I would book it, but I also wouldn't get mad if I missed that noon flight.

I spoke with the airline and they said if the ship arrives late and I call them at least 1 hour before the flight time they can change me to a later flight. Under those circumstances I would have to pay the price difference and wait for the later flight. So if I book the later flight now I will have to pay more and sit in the airport all day long. If the ship is late arriving and I am forced to change my flight I will have to pay the price difference and sit in the airport all day long. But at least by booking the earlier flight I have a chance of getting the lower price and an earlier arrival home so I'm sticking with the 12 noon flight.

I haven't had any trouble getting off the boat on time even on cruises that visited Belize. My cruise is on Triumph so it does not visit Belize.

Thank you everyone for giving me all the advice and info!!!

. My cruise is on Triumph so it does not visit Belize.

Your on the Triumph you should make it no problem

unless of course the fog:eek:

My GF was dropped off at work by 10 am Monday am downtown Houston after a Triumph cruise;)

I would not do it.

Keith

Really? So you would pay an additional $120 to take a 5 pm flight rather than at least try to save the money?? Even if I ended up canceling, and they did not have another flight left, I would actually get home quicker in a rental car than to wait for the late flight. Only reason I'm flying is to save myself an 8-9 hour drive.

Once I found out that SW would allow me cancel and change to a later flight as late as 1 hour before my scheduled flight it was a no brainer for me.

Once I found out that SW would allow me cancel and change to a later flight as late as 1 hour before my scheduled flight it was a no brainer for me.

Being able to change that way makes all the difference. We were on Conquest several years ago and had fog problems - didn't disembark until around 2:00. We had booked the latest possible flight, but still didn't make it and had to re-book for the following morning. However, SW was great working with us to do that.

Im also booked with Southwest and for that reason its worth the chance

At least you got 12:40 pm instead of 12 noon.

Edited by Jana60

I have watched ships docking late or being held up before debarking is allowed... But I have never experienced late debarking in Galveston. In foggy months -- winter/spring, it's common.

I would book it with insurance or knowing I might lose the expense.

Do tell Guest Services and get an early debark -- and self debark if you can carry all your suitcases!!! You will probably be fine!!

Have a BLAST and I pray all works out!!

As a person who has cruised a few times from Galveston, and also an operations mgr that works at Hobby, I can tell you that you should make it. If you're off the ship by 9am, you'll easily be at Hobby by 1045am. If you make it to Hobby by 1045am, you will be able to get your boarding pass, clear security, and be sitting at the gate by 11:30 with ease.

You should be ok since Hobby is so close to Galveston. /QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that 42 miles is "SO" close. It's a good hour drive. But it is definitely closer than Bush which is 69 miles away.

I stand corrected. As someone born raised and reared in Houston, 42 miles is not a lot. I have worked 42 miles from home and commuted daily. But I guess for others it would seem like 42 miles is far. And I agree IAH is much worse than HOU (hobby )

I stand corrected. As someone born raised and reared in Houston, 42 miles is not a lot. I have worked 42 miles from home and commuted daily. But I guess for others it would seem like 42 miles is far. And I agree IAH is much worse than HOU (hobby )

If I remember correctly it takes only an hour or slightly less to get from the port to Hobby. Carnival informs me their first shuttle bus to the airport is at 9 a.m. Even if they are 30 minutes late leaving I should be at the airport by 10:30. If I'm not in the airport with bag checked for my flight by 11 AM I'll call and change to later flight with Southwest.

Edited by Jana60