Even at lunch and dinner?

It doesn"t offend me if they are at another table. If they are seated at my table I would consider it rude. That's just me; I am old school. If they don't want to converse with tablemates, then they should ask to be seated alone.

This would be the exception for me. I would never read at a table when someone else was present, it would be rude to ignore your table mate.

If someone was sitting by themselves in the Windjammer, it wouldn't bother me (unless other people were waiting for the table so they could eat). Like other people have mentioned, it's the same as reading a book.

Dinner is different, especially if it's a shared table. I don't even want my husband messing with his cell phone while he's having dinner with me. He should be paying attention to his tablemate. :)

Edited by CruisinCrow

For some reason people seem more sensitive to people reading ipads and iphones, but no one seems offended when it is a book or newspaper. It is the same thing, just more eco friendly by not having all the paper waste.

It doesn"t offend me if they are at another table. If they are seated at my table I would consider it rude. That's just me; I am old school. If they don't want to converse with tablemates, then they should ask to be seated alone.

My brother-in-law is the same way. My wife and I track EVERYTHING we put in our mouth as part of our weight loss journey. Many times it will takes us some time for find the nutritional information on a particular food or something similar from a place we eat at often. While we could wait until after the meal, we often forget something. Besides, for me that is just as important (if not more so) than your emotional state for those few minutes.

He made a comment a couple of weeks ago when the family was eating out about considering it rude and told us to put away our phones. I looked him square in the eye and said "I don't know about you, but I am talented enough to do more than one thing at a time...like speak to you and look at my phone. Unless we are at your home or you want to pay my phone bill you do not get to decide when I do or do not use it. If it bothers you the table over there is empty...feel free to sit there."

I then proceeded to finish what I was doing, then took the time to check a couple of news sites and the popular social media site just to hiss him off.

My husband and I take our ipads with us wherever we go on the ship. After we eat a meal we go somewhere to read, and we don't want to go back to the cabin to get them.

We not only read in various locations after we eat, but all our travel notes and documents are on my ipad, as well as offline maps to everywhere we are going. We frequently will discuss our trip, look at my photostream, or look at the map of our next stop while we are eating.

We have a rule, however: no reading when we are eating together. This is our rule anywhere we eat.

Well, with the advent of the unlimited internet packages, who knows what they were doing!

I would imagine that those cruise reviewers specialing in Food Pxxx pictures would have their ipads out to both record pictures and descriptions of their experience, and before long, stream their MDR and speciality restaurant dining "as it happens". So if you see an ipad propped up with the front facing camera on while someone is eating, you'll know what is going on!

I agree 100% with this! Too many people in today's world are the "______" (fill in fashion, iPad, cell phone, etc.) police. As long as you are not being affected why should you care if someone else is doing something you don't approve of?

I think that much of this is what does "not being affected" mean. If you are driving down the highway and someone cuts in front of you, slows down but doesn't require you to brake and just stays there at the speed you are driving, that didn't "affect" you, after all you had to do nothing. But you can bet that for as long as that car is in front of you, you are affected, you will be thinking why did that idiot come flying up and jump in front of me, when there was no one in the other lane and now he is just sitting there going the same speed I am. Trust me when someone comes to the dining room on formal night ins "smart shorts" whatever the heck that is, it "affects" a lot of people. Those people "allow" the "affect" but non the less the affect is there.

Edited by restasured

IPhones, IPads, computers in general, you cant get away from them anymore. There used to be a way to detox from tech by going on a cruise, to get away from it all, but alas no more, they have us there also.........sigh

My brother-in-law is the same way. My wife and I track EVERYTHING we put in our mouth as part of our weight loss journey. Many times it will takes us some time for find the nutritional information on a particular food or something similar from a place we eat at often. While we could wait until after the meal, we often forget something. Besides, for me that is just as important (if not more so) than your emotional state for those few minutes.

He made a comment a couple of weeks ago when the family was eating out about considering it rude and told us to put away our phones. I looked him square in the eye and said "I don't know about you, but I am talented enough to do more than one thing at a time...like speak to you and look at my phone. Unless we are at your home or you want to pay my phone bill you do not get to decide when I do or do not use it. If it bothers you the table over there is empty...feel free to sit there."

I then proceeded to finish what I was doing, then took the time to check a couple of news sites and the popular social media site just to hiss him off.

*LOL*

I salute you Sir and would love share a cruise dining table (in a WIFi) area anytime.

PS I am not the most tactful in law my DWs family has either :)

That's easier said than done! I prefer NOT to share a table & that can be a problem in the MDR @ breakfast & lunch (open seating). On a few occasions my husband & I were turned away but generally we're asked (with a frown & some attitude) to "wait over there." It's off to the wall we go & stand there for 5 or 10 minutes before we're seated. We consider it our punishment for not going with the flow.............

I, personally would be offended if the adults I was sharing a table with for dinner (or any meal for that matter) were involved with their "technology".

I would not be offended if a family with young children made technology available to their young child right before dinner, and after dinner, allowing the adults at the table to engage in a conversation.

Young children are not always interested in adult conversation, and will become bored and restless unless there is something available to amuse them. In the past, it was coloring sheets (disguised as place mats), today it is an I pad. During the main part of dinner, all technology should be put away.

IPhones, IPads, computers in general, you cant get away from them anymore. There used to be a way to detox from tech by going on a cruise, to get away from it all, but alas no more, they have us there also.........sigh

Yes there is. We turn the phones off and put them in the safe for the entire cruise every time:) We enjoy being "disconnected" for a week and don't miss the texts, internet or anything else.

Yes there is. We turn the phones off and put them in the safe for the entire cruise every time:) We enjoy being "disconnected" for a week and don't miss the texts, internet or anything else.

Still can't figure out why anyone using some technology device has so many bent out of shape. If you elect not to use technology for your cruise, that is great….… for you.

Technology has allowed us to cruise our usual 6-8 times a year, sometimes with B2B cruises. Often our clients don’t know we are out of town, let alone out of the country. We read email at least every other day and can run an office from “wherever”. We spent 3+ weeks in Asia with practically no one knowing we were even away.

Since this is about the dining table, we always have dinner for just 2, and are often looking at the same devise ( i.e. to look at photos) . Really not much different than looking at a compass together is it?

M

Still can't figure out why anyone using some technology device has so many bent out of shape. If you elect not to use technology for your cruise, that is great….… for you.

Technology has allowed us to cruise our usual 6-8 times a year, sometimes with B2B cruises. Often our clients don’t know we are out of town, let alone out of the country. We read email at least every other day and can run an office from “wherever”. We spent 3+ weeks in Asia with practically no one knowing we were even away.

Since this is about the dining table, we always have dinner for just 2, and are often looking at the same devise ( i.e. to look at photos) . Really not much different than looking at a compass together is it?

M

Not sure why you quoted me, we are NOT bent out of shape about anyone using any device anywhere and said no such thing. I just replied to someone who said they can't get away from it and said that we personally do.:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

We personally want to be away from people during a cruise. We see and work with people people people and I would much rather sit with an ipad than talk with someone face to face who I don't know. To me its like networking in business.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a social animal:cool: but my idea of a holiday is to stare at nothing on the horizon with a mega big drink in my hand, my DD happy with new found mates, and my Hubbie next to me. Give me an ipad on holiday rather than another human any day lol.

Edited by Adayatatime