What are you taking photos with?

Rotterdam

With the changes in tech over the last few years I was wondering what people are taking photos with these days. Over the years I have always had excellent cameras & lenses that I used when on holidays in new locales.

Now I hardly take any photos and the entire cell phone / selfie thing holds no interest for me - its nice just to live the moment.

This autumn I'm headed back to Europe & February to South America so I want to take a camera along....any suggestions???

Edited by Rotterdam

I just bought a Sony, RX100 II for my recent trip to Disneyworld. I am amazed at the quality of the pictures. Advantage --almost pocket sized- 2 1/2 x 4 x 1 1/2 in off mode (and without leather case on). Carl Zeiss lens. Disadvantage-not a super sized zoom lens BUT it did everything I wanted it to do.:D Price range about $700

I've been traveling for years with a DSLR (first a Nikon D50 and now a D7000 and sometimes a D5100) and love these cameras. But my knees are getting to the point where they are not happy with my lugging that much weight around, particularly when I'm walking around a city for hours, so I've recently purchased a Panasonic Lumix FZ200, a bridge camera with a Leica f/2.8 lens, 24x optical zoom (which is about 25mm-600mm). If you go over to the Photo and Cameras forum, you'll see a number of threads about this very popular camera.

My conclusion so far is that this camera does an excellent job with stationary subjects, but it's harder than with a DSLR to capture birds in flight and other moving subjects. (I need more practice with this camera for those subjects.) So of course it's a compromise, but much of what I like to photograph is not moving (landscapes, architectural subjects, ships, etc.), and it's definitely a plus to have much lighter gear.

I've been using a Nikon d700 for a few years now, along with the 28-300mm zoom lens. The advantage is that it takes fantastic, full-frame photos and that zoom means I never have to stop and swap out lenses. The disadvantage is that the combination is somewhat heavy. I like that the d700 goes from fully automatic (so I don't have to think about a thing if I'm just touring around and don't have a lot of time), but it also goes to completely manual, if you want to spend time really composing a photo and controlling all the elements like exposure, aperture.

I tend not to use the camera for just snapping "souvenir" pictures. I prefer to look for subjects/compositions that create a more artistic image that I would want to enlarge and hang on a wall in my house. For the quick pics, selfies or photos to post to Facebook, I just use the camera in my iPhone 5S. It actually does a pretty nice job, too!

For the quick pics, selfies or photos to post to Facebook, I just use the camera in my iPhone 5S. It actually does a pretty nice job, too!

It really does, doesn't it? I'm amazed every time I use it how good the camera is (unless you need to zoom). I still sometimes forget that, with the 5S, I always have a pretty decent camera with me wherever I am.

It really does, doesn't it? I'm amazed every time I use it how good the camera is (unless you need to zoom). I still sometimes forget that, with the 5S, I always have a pretty decent camera with me wherever I am.

I bought a zoom lens kit for my iPhone which works pretty good considering that it costs around $25. It comes with a tiny tripod to hold it still. I used it in our last cruise to South America to photograph the boys in speedos on their boats, while we were relaxing on the balcony of our cabin. For the landscape and better photos I carry a Canon Rebel T1i. I also carry a pocket size point and shoot camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most everyone who has commented before me, I use the camera on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) for my everyday use.

When visiting a port we've seen numerous times, I typically take an older (5MP) Canon ProShot, which takes great pics, has a decent-quality zoom, and has a tripod mount. It also fits neatly on a carabiner attached to my belt loop or backpack. For wet locations (where this klutz could accidentally get the camera wet or when intentionally going underwater), I use a GoPRO Hero. You have to be aware of the fisheye lens and know it's not the best for scenic shots, but it's great for capturing the "What the ?!?!" look on a fish's face when you sneak up on it. :D

If I'm going into new territory or taking pics of the onboard shows (no flash allowed), I love my Canon EOS Rebel XS. I had (basically) the same camera in SLR and stayed with it for my DSLR since I already had the lenses.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an expensive Canon with changeable lenses, but I now just take a Canon SX40. It takes great pictures, both close up and distance and I do not need to carry around the extra lenses. I am not comfortable using my iPhone for pictures. Just a personal preference

• 2 weeks later...
With the changes in tech over the last few years I was wondering what people are taking photos with these days. Over the years I have always had excellent cameras & lenses that I used when on holidays in new locales.

Now I hardly take any photos and the entire cell phone / selfie thing holds no interest for me - its nice just to live the moment.

This autumn I'm headed back to Europe & February to South America so I want to take a camera along....any suggestions???

I've got a Canon T3i that I really like, but (as many have said) use my iPhone 5 pretty often too, just because it's always there.

As PolarisKale mentioned, I use the GoPro all the way. Um, I know you were not interested in the selfie stuff, but you sure can make some idiotic, video bombing, self-absorbed, show off stuff and all your friends and family will be jealous. I'm living proof :D

Please note everything I currently have posted was only shot with my Hero 2. I now have the 3+, so be on the lookout for more idiotic selfie videos from October through January and they will be much sharper and clearer. Did I mention I love the Hero 3+???

While it takes time to figure out how to capture good still photos with it, once you get it down it really can do an amazing job. The major downside is you have no zoom and again as Polaris mentioned some shots can just be difficult to get what you want. Still, for the price tag I'd say it is well worth it as a little hobby toy for what it does, especially video wise. For example, when I burn some of my footage on DVDs for playback on a big screen........... WOW is all I can say! And of course you don't have to be an idiot like me and take selfies :rolleyes:

If you want to stick with the traditional route I like the cannon rebel T5. I don't have this and only have the T3, but I like that a lot so I'm guessing the T5 to be like, well, better than a T3 :)

• 5 weeks later...
I've found that the pictures taken with a Samsung Galaxy phone are excellent. It also has the editing feature. You can connect to Wifi or use your carrier for transfer directly to FB, Twitter, email, etc.

I have to agree with this and go back to giving higher props to smart phones since I have played with the Photoshop Express app some more. Very cool once you figure out which settings produce the best results, and best of all free! Well, a couple of the filters cost, but the ones you need for enhancing color and sharpness are all right there and included. With the megapixels in phone cameras these days this little app (and FREE!) does wonders on the fly. Once you get used to it, it is very quick to do a decent Photoshop touch up job pretty much instantly, then as topguy mentioned just a couple more button presses and you can share with the world.

The only con I see with it is it does take a couple extra minutes to make adjustments to the photo so you aren't just shooting then uploading to Facebook or emailing the pic instantly. However, it's much faster than waiting to get back to your computer, putting the pictures into your computer, opening Photoshop, then editing from there, then sharing.

I would definitely suggest at least giving it a try. If you have the latest and greatest camera and all the editing time in the world it won't compare to that, but if you want pretty high quality shots where you only have to carry something (phone) you bring with you anyway, it's definitely the way to go!