Boarding Ruby Princess with Mom w/ rollator

MtnBikerFallDown

OK, I've done forum searches, and just can't seem to find an answer, so...

We're going on the Ruby in November. We're taking my 74 year old Mom with us. She's at the point where walking much distance just kicks her butt. So, she's got a rollator walker (they're the kind that has the little seat you can sit down on and even scoot with your feet if you want, or you can stand up and use it like a regular walker).

I'm curious how we'll board. We traveled with my Dad in a wheelchair on another cruiseline. They just put us through the regular check-in, then pulled us to the side and took us out a different door, where we boarded on a lower deck. They pushed his wheelchair for up the ramp for us. But, it wasn't Princess, so I wasn't sure how they handle it.

I am hoping she can walk with the walker to the ship, but we may wind up pushing her while she's seated (those things are so versatile and wonderful). I'm hoping since she has the walker, they'll take us the shortest route possible.

Has anyone done this before? Do you just go thru the regular process (using an elevator instead of the escalator, obviously)? Or do they have a different door like the other line did? I've heard Princess is wonderful with disabled cruisers, so I'm not anticipating issues, just curious. I'm a planner!

We're going thru Fort Lauderdale, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

My husband has similar problems. When you get through the security checkpoint there is a special area where you can sit and wait for someone with a wheelchair to come and bring you to a waiting area and then onto the ship. They will bring you all the way to your cabin if you desire. I would not recommend pushing her rollaotor on yourself. There is a steep incline which would be difficult I believe. The service is friendly,efficient, and well worth a tip.

My mother has some significant mobility issues. When we would check in, they would bring a wheelchair for my mom. Even with a walker, the entrance to the ship may be very steep, and this would exhaust her. It is ok to ask for a wheelchair, and then carry the Rollator.

Good luck!

My husband has similar problems. When you get through the security checkpoint there is a special area where you can sit and wait for someone with a wheelchair to come and bring you to a waiting area and then onto the ship. They will bring you all the way to your cabin if you desire. I would not recommend pushing her rollaotor on yourself. There is a steep incline which would be difficult I believe. The service is friendly,efficient, and well worth a tip.

Thank you so much for the information. I am so glad to know that. I'll admit, I was sweating a little thinking about pushing that rollator up the ramp. I can just see the 3 Stooges-like episode of us trying to get her up the ramp, her flying back down, etc. :D:eek:

I hadn't even thought about rolling her on in one of their wheelchairs. It'd be much easier.

Again, thank you!

Just ask when you check in and they will send an assistant with a wheelchair. You will receive priority boarding. There is also a place to note the requirement in the Cruise Personalizer under Medical Requests. You will probably also require assistance at the ports of call since the gangways can be steep. If you have tender ports, this could be an issue. Make sure the room steward knows and notes the requirement for the muster drill, and in case of emergency.

My mother has some significant mobility issues. When we would check in, they would bring a wheelchair for my mom. Even with a walker, the entrance to the ship may be very steep, and this would exhaust her. It is ok to ask for a wheelchair, and then carry the Rollator.

Good luck!

That is fantastic! Thank you so much for the info. Those ramps to the ship are super steep, so this is a relief.

Just ask when you check in and they will send an assistant with a wheelchair. You will receive priority boarding. There is also a place to note the requirement in the Cruise Personalizer under Medical Requests. You will probably also require assistance at the ports of call since the gangways can be steep. If you have tender ports, this could be an issue. Make sure the room steward knows and notes the requirement for the muster drill, and in case of emergency.

I did put that in on the cruise personalizer. There wasn't actually a walker to choose, but it did have one for wheelchair but can walk short distances, so I checked that one, figuring it was the closest.

Didn't think about telling the room steward, but that makes great sense. That way, if we were out somewhere and she was in the cabin, the steward would know to help her, if we had to evacuate. When you do the muster drill, do any of the elevators run? Or should we just go quite early, when the elevators are still fully up 'n' running? I know she won't be able to do the stairs.

I had totally not thought about needing the help at ports. I think she can transfer to the tender okay, as her balance isn't terrible, she just wears out quick. I think if they just give her a hand into the ship, I can lug her walker.

Curious, though, now that I'm thinking of ports... do they ever have little golf carts or trams to take you to the end of the pier? I know in some ports, you walk forever before you get to the end. Again, we can push her in the rollator, not a problem. But, if we could save some of the effort for power shopping later on, I'd totally take that! :p

Thank all of you so much for the help! The funny thing is, I'm a nurse. But, it's so completely different when it's a loved one, not a patient. You get tunnel vision! So, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. We really want to make this a special cruise for her, so all of this is helping us to do that!

You can also get wheelchair assistance for disembarkation.

The meeting place is in the information provided the tags. The meeting place is often a different place than the area listed for the general area for color/number groups. It should be on the deck where the gangway is.

Note: You cannot do self-assist/walk-off disembarkation with wheelchair assistance.

Both before and after Muster Drill the elevators are functioning, but they are very busy. Especially so AFTER the drill, and people seem to crowd around the elevator doors with everybody wanting to be the first on. Sadly most do not stand back and allow people with walking devices or wheelchairs get on first. IMO, it's pathetic!!

I would suggest you head for your muster station at least 30 minutes before it is scheduled to begin so you can get on the elevator. And wait till your muster station has emptied out before even attempting to get near elevator.

Edited by flamomo

You can also get wheelchair assistance for disembarkation.

The meeting place is in the information provided the tags. The meeting place is often a different place than the area listed for the general area for color/number groups. It should be on the deck where the gangway is.

Note: You cannot do self-assist/walk-off disembarkation with wheelchair assistance.

Good to know about meeting somewhere different. We did walk-off last time, but this time we're doing EZCheck and letting Princess take care of everything. It's different traveling with all her gear than it is when it's just the 2 of us. Not worse, just different. So, I really appreciate the advice!

Both before and after Muster Drill the elevators are functioning, but they are very busy. Especially so AFTER the drill, and people seem to crowd around the elevator doors with everybody wanting to be the first on. Sadly most do not stand back and allow people with walking devices or wheelchairs get on first. IMO, it's pathetic!!

I would suggest you head for your muster station at least 30 minutes before it is scheduled to begin so you can get on the elevator. And wait till your muster station has emptied out before even attempting to get near elevator.

When we took Dad in his wc, we were on Carnival. I was expecting the worst as far as people shoving ahead into the elevators. I've never been so surprised. Every single time we rolled him near the elevators, people helped us get him in, offered to get off the elevator so he could fit in, etc. I was just blown away! It was cool. So, maybe we'll be lucky this time. But, just in case we are not... I'll get there as you suggested, and maybe even take us a drink in, so we can loiter afterwards until the crowd clears. It's nice that her rollator has the seat, so if it is crowded, she can just plop down on it!

Everyone, thank you SO much for the suggestions and advice and information. This is why I love Cruise Critic. You can ask something and get such helpful advice. It really cuts down on the stress a new situation can bring!

Thank you so much for the information. I am so glad to know that. I'll admit, I was sweating a little thinking about pushing that rollator up the ramp. I can just see the 3 Stooges-like episode of us trying to get her up the ramp, her flying back down, etc. :D:eek:

I hadn't even thought about rolling her on in one of their wheelchairs. It'd be much easier.

Again, thank you!

My son is in a wheelchair (disabled vet) and he can't stand at all. When we went to Alaska and also to Hawaii he booked a room and went along. When we embarked or disembarked (some of the gangways were pretty steep) Princess always had 2 or 3 strong young men on hand to push the wheelchair up and down the ramp. They really took care of us. It was great!

Good to know about meeting somewhere different. We did walk-off last time, but this time we're doing EZCheck and letting Princess take care of everything. It's different traveling with all her gear than it is when it's just the 2 of us. Not worse, just different. So, I really appreciate the advice!

When we took Dad in his wc, we were on Carnival. I was expecting the worst as far as people shoving ahead into the elevators. I've never been so surprised. Every single time we rolled him near the elevators, people helped us get him in, offered to get off the elevator so he could fit in, etc. I was just blown away! It was cool. So, maybe we'll be lucky this time. But, just in case we are not... I'll get there as you suggested, and maybe even take us a drink in, so we can loiter afterwards until the crowd clears. It's nice that her rollator has the seat, so if it is crowded, she can just plop down on it!

Everyone, thank you SO much for the suggestions and advice and information. This is why I love Cruise Critic. You can ask something and get such helpful advice. It really cuts down on the stress a new situation can bring!

Both times that we have cruised with my son people were extremely good about the elevator. They always let my son on and offered to get off to make room if needed. He declined the offers to get off and simply waited for the next elevator. Unless the elevators were mostly empty my wife and I would just use the stairs to meet him on whatever deck we were headed for. (Cruising without my son we tend to take the stairs most of the time anyway.)

Hey there! Good to hear you are on your way again! I miss our group from the I hate winter cruise!

What ports will you be stopping at on your cruise? I can't remember any golf cart type things on the cruise we were on this past winter. The only port I can think of that does have something was on the western side of Costa Rica. You went so far and then there was a small bus that you cold board to get you to the end of the pier.

Have a great cruise. We are heading to Alaska at the end of summer as our next one. Still in contact with our friends from Canada and San Jose!

Will Mom be able to do the tenders?

When we cruised to Hawaii my son wasn't able to go ashore at Lahaina (Maui) because it is a tender port. However, he is unable to walk, stand, etc. nor can he support himself on his arms. (He broke his neck in the Army at age 19. August 5th of this year will mark 19 years in a wheelchair. Although he is severely disabled he was considered one of the luckiest guys on his wing at the VA hospital as he has partial use of his hands. Disability is a relative thing...)

As your mother is able to actually walk she should be able to do a tender in most ports unless the sea is quite rough. In that case they may not let her tender due to safety concerns.

Will Mom be able to do the tenders?

I think so, since she can walk, just not long distances. Thankfully, the only tender we have is to Princess Cays. So, if she isn't able to, she's not missing much, because she's not much of a beach person anyway.

Hey there! Good to hear you are on your way again! I miss our group from the I hate winter cruise!

What ports will you be stopping at on your cruise? I can't remember any golf cart type things on the cruise we were on this past winter. The only port I can think of that does have something was on the western side of Costa Rica. You went so far and then there was a small bus that you cold board to get you to the end of the pier.

Have a great cruise. We are heading to Alaska at the end of summer as our next one. Still in contact with our friends from Canada and San Jose!

Hey, you!!! I was thinking about you the other day! We need to get that whole crew together and do another cruise. That was the best roll call ever!!!

We're going to St. Martin, St. Thomas, Grand Turk and Princess Cays. I was thinking that St. Martin had a tram-like thing on the pier when we were there, but it was a while back AND it was when the main port was under construction, so we were at a different area.

Have fun in Alaska!!!

Both times that we have cruised with my son people were extremely good about the elevator. They always let my son on and offered to get off to make room if needed. He declined the offers to get off and simply waited for the next elevator. Unless the elevators were mostly empty my wife and I would just use the stairs to meet him on whatever deck we were headed for. (Cruising without my son we tend to take the stairs most of the time anyway.)

I was really surprised by that as well. We were very lucky, and never had issues, either. I always take the stairs UP, but because of a meniscus tear in my knee, I can't take them down very well. I get dirty looks taking an elevator down a couple of floors sometimes. But, I figure I'd rather do that than not be able to walk the next day!

When we cruised to Hawaii my son wasn't able to go ashore at Lahaina (Maui) because it is a tender port. However, he is unable to walk, stand, etc. nor can he support himself on his arms. (He broke his neck in the Army at age 19. August 5th of this year will mark 19 years in a wheelchair. Although he is severely disabled he was considered one of the luckiest guys on his wing at the VA hospital as he has partial use of his hands. Disability is a relative thing...)

As your mother is able to actually walk she should be able to do a tender in most ports unless the sea is quite rough. In that case they may not let her tender due to safety concerns.

I'm glad for your input on the tenders. I figured if she could walk, we'd be good. I'll take her walker, but as small as it is, and as small as the distances between places at Princess Cays, she may not even need it.

Disability is truly relative. I'm amazed at how many people can handle such serious injuries. Kudos to your son for not letting it stop him from doing things he enjoys. I've had patients who gave up with MUCH less severe injuries. Good for him!

Good advise about the Muster drill. We do not have mobility issues but do exactly what you said. We go early to avoid the crowds and find a place to sit since the drill is a bit long. We wait till the crowds leave and then just take the stairs back to our cabin. Works well for us.

Have a great cruise too, Em. We were in St. Martin once, but I don't remember any tram. It's been years. Have been to St. Thomas a few times and no tram there. There might be golf cart type things on Princess Cay for those who might need them, but for as many times we have been there, never saw them really in use.

Get in shape before going so you and hubby can push! We are riding our bikes tomorrow for Diabetes, Tour de cure. First time for me. Off to bed now. . .

Yes, getting the group together again would be grand! The roll call for this trip has about ten total???? No one is talking or sharing. Such a different atmosphere!