Pocket knife on cruise ship

masterty

I was prepared to loose one at each port. That's is why. Only lost one, but got it back in the end.

Don't understand why you would have them. When disembarking MSC saw the "collection" waiting to be retrieved by passengers who had items confiscated. So glad they were confiscated, don't really need all those extra knives on board.

Don't understand why you would have them. When disembarking MSC saw the "collection" waiting to be retrieved by passengers who had items confiscated. So glad they were confiscated, don't really need all those extra knives on board.

I agree it is hard enough for me to keep track of which to use at a certain time. Butter knife for the butter, but not the bread. Outside knife for the salad. Inside knife for the main course, except they will take it from you if you order a steak. Go figure.... Should a good steak be easier to cut?

Adding a choice of whether to use a Swiss Army knife or a multi tool would just over complicate things. Glad they took them away from those passengers so they could enjoy their cruise without having to make those choices.

I went on a dive/cruise with my scuba club last month on the Emerald Princess. I had my dive knife in the pocket of my BCD, where I always keep it, never gave it a thought. The blade is 5" and serrated for cutting fishing line and such things. It went through security upon boarding and when reboarding in 3 ports with not a word mentioned. So I don't think they are looking for knives when scanning your carry ons unless it has a super long blade. I don't know what the criteria is. We don't fly anymore so I'm not worried about airport security, which I think is ridiculously invasive.

The nimber of anything a person carries is not anyone elses decision or business then that peson and the ship. If they are legal and the cruise line does not object let them bring as many as they want. They are hurting no one.

While trying to process through security scan while boarding the ship at San Pedro Security asked me what I had in my small travel Kit. (This kit goes with me both on cruises and in my travel trailer so is always packed.)

I told him a razor, hair brush, tooth brush, etc.

The kit was run back through the scanner again and then was hand searched while I watched.

Security found my very small two bladed folding knife in a plastic bag.

The Security person held it up in the air for all to see just like he had pulled Excaliber out of the lake.

The Security person took his time writing out a receipt for the knife.

I was told I could pick it up on the dock when we returned.

When we arrived at the cabin my Wife broke out laughing and pulled her small Swiss knife with sissors out of her purse that had gone through the scan just before me.

During final departure when my card was scanned it beeped and the guard reminded me that My property was waiting for me after I clear customs.

It took awhile to locate a person who knew where the confiscated stuff was waiting. When I finally found it, there was a large pile of knives and things laying on the floor with tags on them.

Lesson learned, check prepacked bags before going on a cruise.

Bob